Have you ever cheated?

Darros

28 members have voted

1. 1. So, have you?

• Yes
    • No

Abusing savestates, Battle Saves and Map Saves for crits/Skills or good level-ups isn't cheating per-se, it's just really low on the moral spectrum of draft strategies.

That being said, I remember once abusing the RNG in FE7's final chapter to crit like, every boss including Nergal and the Dragon (it's not my fault they don't have any Luck), but I don't remember if that was for a draft or normal playthrough. So you can say I've cheated once if it was for a draft.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Killing Edge crit: Meh.

Silver Lance crit: WTF?

I once abused for a Silver Lance crit on Hyman. It was one of my early drafts. I had been AFK for the weekend and was forced to draft after the viable fast picks were gone, thus Jagen/Marth doubleteamed the earlygame, meaning it was a Jagen stomp.

Having a lot of intimate knowledge about the GBA RNG given my TASing experience, I can't forget what I've learned. However, my approach is this when it comes to drafts. I don't use any of the Lua scripts I have access to for a draft. I do use save states as a means to speed up any testing that can be done in real time, like choosing attack order. If I blindly discover a critical, or a good level up, I will make use of it given that I can recreate the RNs to that point, but I don't actively go looking for them by shifting RNs. I probably limit myself a bit more than most, because I have the ability to abuse, but choose not to use it since I actually like the challenge that a draft brings.

Given that the RNG is very fixed, I don't see the use of save states in themselves as cheating, more like they are a tool to speed up testing in your draft playthrough. With more extensive note taking, save states can be avoided entirely, although experimenting for moves in later turns will be more monotonous as a result. Even in real time, people can fiddle with the RNG to give themselves more favourable outcomes if they are willing to do a lot of testing. This again isn't cheating, but using the game's engine to your advantage. Perhaps that is taking things way too seriously, but it isn't cheating. Given that the knowledge out there, and it is impossible to really enforce any restrictions on players, things are fine as they are.