Who should I promote first?

I'm on Chapter 9 and I've just been wondering who I should use the first Knight Crest on: Gilliam or Franz? I'm currently leaning towards Gilly so I can have him start building his Axe rank and give him decent movement. For the record I'll make Gilliam a Great Knight and Franz a Paladin.

[spoiler=Gilliam's stats]

Level: 12.32

HP: 32

STR: 16

SKL: 12

SPD: 8

LUK: 8

DEF: 17

RES: 4

CON: 14

Lance Rank B (VERY close to A)

[spoiler=Franz's stats]

Level: 14.39

HP: 32

STR: 13

SKL: 12

SPD: 12

LUK: 7

DEF: 9

RES: 3

CON: 9

Sword Rank D (~75% to C)

Lance Rank C (halfway to B)

Edited by Kirby

I highly recommend using your first crest on Gilliam. Here's why:

Unpromoted Gilliam has 4 movement. This is absolute garbage, because he can't keep up with other foot units, let alone your mounts. Great Knights, on the other hand, have 6 movement, which is the same as a promoted foot unit. Franz, on the other hand, has 7 movement unpromoted, and the +1 move is superfluous right now. Also, as you said, Gilliam gets axes upon promotion(and swords, I guess, but fuck using iron swords 15-30 times). Franz doesn't get this luxury(and ultimately Garm access)unless he also promotes to GK.

That and your Gilliam is INSANELY blessed. Let's take a gander: +3str/+3skl/+3spd/+3lck/+4def. Your Franz, on the other hand, is +2HP/+1str/+2skl/-2spd over his averages. The choice is pretty clear, mate.

Edited by darkandroid125

I promoted Gilliam into a General and used him as a meat shield. random Great Shield is the greatest!

On the Desert Map all mounted units (excluding fliers) are penalized and you'll WANT a wall who can outlast Caellach for the Hoplon Guard (blocks Critical Hits) which you will want if you want to negate the crit chance of Valter's Killer Lance (he always seemed to get lucky when I type matched him without it and 2-shotted my promoted units without the protection in in past runs). You get your second Knight's Crest Eirika's Route from Aias (Chapter 13 Boss). Either steal it from him or down him (The latter being much harder to do of course with the three weapons he has).