DS games look horrible on 3DS. Thanks, Nintendo.

Stedar

Just tried playing Shadow Dragon on my new 3DS (in both modes) and I must say, I am quite disappointed. I know to the casual gamer that this might not be an issue... but man it's ugly. It looks as if you took a decent quality video and ran it through a shitty video converter. I guess I'll be sticking with my DS Lite and my 3DS won't be seeing much play at all. What a shame. Almost worth returning it if you ask me.

Yeah, yeah... I know the screens are a different resolution and it was going to happen because it's not scaled up by an integer of the original screen size, but I still think that they could have SOMEHOW made it look better. I mean couldn't they have run it like a rom? Turn off the 3DS stuff and allow the screen to work in the original RES/size. Even if this is impossible, there has GOT to be something that they could have done. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of Nintendo skimping out on features and development.

Oh, and I tried other games as well. To me, they are all shitty looking.

NEW AND EXCITING! :rolleyes:

Seriously, this was one of the most commonly discussed complaints when the console came out (among others like the starting library and price).

Oh, I wasn't aware. And yes, I played in native quality, which is small and lame. :|

At least Nintendo released an update which sought to sharpen the blurry filter... it didn't do greatly, but at least some letters aren't lines anymore :P

Is it locked to the bottom screen? It seems like the top screen would have obviously been a better place for it... and also to include an option for the player to scale the screen.

Personally, I can't tell the difference between the DS and the 3DS when playing DS or GBA games. Maybe it's because I'm using a flashcart most of the time but it doesn't really look that bad. Also, at least it gives you backwards compatibility, the system could just not play DS games, and then more people would be more mad, presumably. That's not to say that the stretched quality is bad, I just think that the situation isn't as bad as people make it out to be and the fact that the 3DS has had a lot of negative criticism going around (especially around its time of release) has biased people into seeing the worst out of the system. But again that's just my opinion, and I see where you're getting yours from, and it's quite a shame :(

Personally, I can't tell the difference between the DS and the 3DS when playing DS or GBA games. Maybe it's because I'm using a flashcart most of the time but it doesn't really look that bad. Also, at least it gives you backwards compatibility, the system could just not play DS games, and then more people would be more mad, presumably. That's not to say that the stretched quality is bad, I just think that the situation isn't as bad as people make it out to be and the fact that the 3DS has had a lot of negative criticism going around (especially around its time of release) has biased people into seeing the worst out of the system. But again that's just my opinion, and I see where you're getting yours from, and it's quite a shame :(

If they had made the 3DS only play 3DS games they would have made the worst decision ever. I don't think anyone would have bought it then. THAT is why people have such harsh criticism, certain things are expected now and Nintendo's amount of effort into consoles, etc. seems to be getting worse and worse. Honestly they should just put back in a cartridge slot and allow anything from GB, GBC, or GBA to be played. TOTAL COMPATIBILITY. I see no problem with returning the slot. Atleast the DS lite still had the GBA slot and it wasn't bulky or a flaw or anything design wise.

I'm just upset that they actually count the ability to play NDS games a "feature." It's not a feature when it is poorly done and a lot worse than playing on the original console itself. I guess I sort of expected to move on from my ailing DS Lite, but now it just seems like I have two gameboys for no reason.

Honestly, the L+R thing on GBC games on the GBA was GOOD. Sure it stretched, but there was also NO problem playing unstretched. If you actually play in the right resolution on the 3DS it's far too tiny to even play anything.

Edited by Stedar

Honestly, the L+R thing on GBC games on the GBA was GOOD. Sure it stretched, but there was also NO problem playing unstretched. If you actually play in the right resolution on the 3DS it's far too tiny to even play anything.

What the hell are you talking about? You lose just the tiny bit of black bars on the edges of the top screen to make it fit perfectly to the size of the bottom screen.

Mountain, meet molehill.

What the hell are you talking about? You lose just the tiny bit of black bars on the edges of the top screen to make it fit perfectly to the size of the bottom screen.

Mountain, meet molehill.

Hold select while selecting the game. That's the size he's talking about