Question

Aran613

Ok, what file type should I save a map as?

I'll post it in a little bit, but I need to know what to save it as first. If I remember correctly, isn't it jpeg?

I'll edit this and attach it later....

Thanks,

Aran

I'm pretty sure mappy exports as .bmp. Or am I way behind the times and are we talking about converting that. I just use bmps for all mine.

Exports are .bmps, just save as PNGs, not that difficult. Since Uploading .bmps can sometimes turn into jpegs.

never tiled

A legitimate complaint against using tiled: for some stupid reason, tiled doesn't update the tileset if you switch to a new one while in the middle of creating a map. And then it keeps the old tiles you drew while at the same time letting you draw with the new loaded tileset.

That is certainly one big sling against it, as this can actually cause a few technical errors if the map is converted for inserting into an actual game. But if it's just used for pretty tile placing, it's not so bad :/

then again mappy likes to map the top-most row of tilesets be unselectable for me so that's a stake right thar

A legitimate complaint against using tiled: for some stupid reason, tiled doesn't update the tileset if you switch to a new one while in the middle of creating a map. And then it keeps the old tiles you drew while at the same time letting you draw with the new loaded tileset.

That is certainly one big sling against it, as this can actually cause a few technical errors if the map is converted for inserting into an actual game. But if it's just used for pretty tile placing, it's not so bad :/

then again mappy likes to map the top-most row of tilesets be unselectable for me so that's a stake right thar

By update the tileset, do you mean replace the old tiles with the new ones that line up with the old tileset's tiles? :O That's a confusing question to word :S

Yes, exactly. So that if the map data is converted, you have data representing two entirely different tilesets merged into the same data image. Yet only one tileset can be loaded in the vanilla game. People who try and make a map and don't realize that only one tileset can actually be used, or just forget to update their old tiles with the new tileset ones will end up having mis-intentioned tiles placed in their map.

If the bro using tiled doesn't remember to accomodate for the change in tileset, it seems like the program won't do it for them. And if it never updates, you won't realize until you've inserted the converted map data, and see tiles you didn't intend, placed all over your map.

Having the wrong tileset data is what makes this:ajd2c.png

look like thisvdwLm.png

:(

Edited by Celice

Ahhhh, okay. Yeah, that's a huge pain in the ass (Similar to what happened to me when I inserted my first map and didn't switch the graphic, palette & object data to what should have been :/ ) I've never had a problem switching my tileset but every time I do it it's before I've done anything, so I just close the old one then open a fresh tileset :P

Edited by Jubby