Frat's RNG Leaf Green Playthrough

frat_tastic

What should Frat do?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should he use the whole evolutionary line or just the one the RNG landed on?

• Evolutionary Line
    • Specific Poke the RNG landed on

So I missed out on the FR/LG draft game, which sucks because I've developed this real hankering to play through LG again lately. So instead of shadowing someone there, I've decided to do an RNG playthrough, where I have a RNG pick between 1-150 six times and use the pokemon it spits out at me.

I do have one question for anyone who wants to read this. Do y'all think I should go with EXACTLY the pokemon it lands on or go with the whole evolutionary line? Here is what it picked for me btw:

66- Machop

82- Magneton

30- Nidorina

61- Poliwhirl

75- Graveler

1- Bulbasaur

So I can either go with exactly the ones listed above or I can start at the bases and use the whole evolutionary line. Tell me what you think and I'll get started!

RULES:

1. I will not restart or recatch any pokemon for specific Natures.

2. I won't pay any attention to IVs or EVs.

3. I will update at every new route I come to or whenever I beat a gym leader.

That's really all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by frat_tastic

Well, stopping at that Pokemon in the line would make it harder sure, but my vote would be to evolve them fully.

Also, Venusaur, Nidoqueen AND Golem? Wow. The RNG loves you. With Machamp to boot. If you go that direction. My goodness, it is like a completely balanced team. The more I look at it, the less that I want to believe that the RNG selected that for you. Maybe you SHOULD stop at the specific Poke, just to make it interesting.

Well, stopping at that Pokemon in the line would make it harder sure, but my vote would be to evolve them fully.

Also, Venusaur, Nidoqueen AND Golem? Wow. The RNG loves you. With Machamp to boot. If you go that direction. My goodness, it is like a completely balanced team. The more I look at it, the less that I want to believe that the RNG selected that for you. Maybe you SHOULD stop at the specific Poke, just to make it interesting.

I won't have access to trade evolving so I would stop at Machoke and Graveler regardless.

And I know it looked like I got it stacked in my favor, which is why I thought of stopping them from evolving at whatever the RNG picked, to make it a little harder. Maybe I should re-roll for a less awesome team? I don't want this to be boring because the RNG picked a bunch of good pokemon.

Awesome. I'll be keeping them in the form that the RNG selected, which will definitely provide some challenge later on, but whatever. Come at me bro.

So I, Frat, try to leave home after my mom tells me that TV says its time for me to go, only to be stopped by Oak. By the will of the gods I choose Bulbasaur. My rival, Katsie, is a bitch and chooses Charmander. After a quick battle in which I stomp Katsie, I take some time to check out my Bulbasaur.

Bulbasaur, lvl 6, Calm

22 HP, 9 ATK, 12 DEF, 13 SPAtk, 13SPDef, 12 SPD

Not exactly great, but whatever, I don't think it'll hurt me that much.

I head out of Pallet Town and I'm on my way to Viridian City!

After a bunch of nothing, I manage to deliver Oak's Parcel to him and head back up through Viridian City to go through Viridian Forest. Here's an update on Bulbasaur:

Bulbasaur, Level 9, Calm

28 HP, 13 Atk, 16 Def, 18 SPatk, 17 SPdef, 15 Spd

He's also picked up Leech Seed.

Viridian forest is pretty annoying with only Bulbasaur. Everything is resistant to Vine Whip, and his calm nature isn't helping any with Tackle. He ran out of Vine Whip AND Tackle PP during the second to last trainer fight, so the rest of the forest was Leech Seed stalling. Boring and annoying. Anyway, we make it out and heal up at the Pewter City Pokemon Center. Here's Bulbasaur now:

Bulbasaur, level 13, calm

36 HP, 17 Atk, 21 def, 24 spatk, 24 spdef, 20 spd

Learned Vine Whip.

Surprising absolutely no one, Bulbasaur destroys Brock and his trainer lackey. After one-shotting everything, I get the Boulderbadge. I get rock tomb also, which I tuck away for later.

Edited by frat_tastic

Doesn't show up there 3rd gen. Otherwise I totally would have. I forgot that at first too, but then I double checked to see where they were all first available and the Nidos arent available until route 3 in FR/LG.

Alright, after destroying Brock, we head out to Route 3 and I get my running shoes. I'm excited, because I'm now at the point where I can get 2 more members of my team. I fight only as many trainers as necessary (I fight 2 bug catchers and a lass) so that I can come back to the others after I catch Nidoran and Geodude. After running into a bunch of spearows, I finally find a Nidoran F and catch her. Here she is:

Nidoran F, level 6, Modest

24 HP, 10 atk, 11 def, 12 spatk, 10 spdef, 10 spd

I run to Mt. Moon and after like 10 Zubat encounters I run into a Geodude, who I quickly put to sleep and catch.

Geodude, level 7, rash

24 HP, 17 atk, 19 def, 9 spatk, 9 spdef, 9 spd

I then run back to clean up the trainers I left behind. None of them are too hard, and I can switch out to Geodude to help raise him and Nidoran with little worries because of his consiserable physical bulk. I don't ever even need to use Bulbasaur to help the process along. After clearing them out, here's what Nido and Geodude are looking like:

Nidoran F, level 11, modest

36 HP, 15 atk, 16 def, 17 spatk, 15 spdef, 16 spd

She also learned tail whip (oh boy!)

Geodude, level 11, rash

32 HP, 24 atk, 27 def, 13 spatk, 11 spdef, 12 spd

He picked up rock throw, which is actually going to be useful.

Up next, Mount Moon and our first encounter with Team Rocket!

Mt. Moon was cake, except for that dumb guy who's toting around a magnemite and KOd nidoran, so I had to leave once and heal at the PC.

Other than that, no real issues or surprises. Picked up all the items, including Bullet Seed, but I don't really think I have much use for it. Chose the Helix Fossil because I like omanyte better than kabuto, but it doesn't matter since I don't get to use it.

Decided to forge on ahead to the gym. Bulbasaur trvialized all the challengers and Misty's staryu, but a lucky Swift crit from Starmie had me worried. Geodude is absolutely worthless in this fight since he is outsped and OHKOd by everything, but fortunately Nidoran (who has evolved at this point) managed to take out Starmie before it could KO me. Here's a look at the team post-Misty:

Bulbasaur, level 21, calm

53 HP, 26 atk, 31 def, 36 spatk, 35 spdef, 30 spd

Packing sleep powder and razor leaf now instead of growl/vine whip

Geodude, level 18, rash

46 HP, 36 atk, 42 def, 18 spatk, 17 spdef, 17 spd

Learned rock throw and magnitude, and I used the Mega Punch move tutor to replace tackle

Nidorina, level 17, modest

55 HP, 27 atk, 28 def, 29 spatk, 26 spdef, 27 spd

Learned double kick and I used the Water Pulse TM from Misty on her.

More updates to come. I've advanced a little bit, making it through Rock Tunnel and catching a Machop, and I'll leave you with this little teaser:

Machop BLOWS.

Go for the evolution lines.

If things become impossible for me I might have to. Right now things are going fine, gym leaders aren't even really hard, but I have a feeling that the Elite 4 will kick my ass if I go charging in with a bulbasaur and machop. We'll see what happens.