Mask Help

Elgray

Hey, I'm kind of an amateur spriter and I've recently been working on a face mask for Chad below, inspired by a mask seen on one of Nayr's sprites (pictured at right).

I think that it's not too bad, but something about it seems... off. I can't put my finger on it... Does anyone see anything particularly wrong about it or have any advice for making it look better? Also, I was planning on trying to make it look as if his mouth was moving underneath the fabric (for the talking frames). Any ideas?

Chad.png

It depends on what kind of mask you're talking about. Skin-tight masks just see stupidly errant in function, and thus design. I think the only thing yours is in need is is showing how it's connected to his face. Right now you have it literally cemented onto his skin, as you can see at the neck part. That doesn't sound right at all.

The only semi-recent masked face is Dei's Strider, IIRC, though, in general, I'd just shade it like you do a normal mouth and nose. You have a few less colors to work with, but it's the same deal.

Ok, would there be any way you could post a link to that portrait so I can see what it looks like? I'd like to see how he did it.

Yes. Note with Volke's and Dei's that AK referenced, the mouth and nose show up somewhat. If the mask is tight and hugs the skin, this is how it should look. Less detail the less it is tight, and so on.

It's definitely not the best, but I tried fixing up the mask for you using Dei's mask for reference.

V0klB.gif

Wow. That's actually pretty good! I wasn't expecting anyone to actually put the effort into trying to fix it, so thank you for that.

Looking at it now, though, I think I'm going to try to go back and make it look a little less attached with just a hint of the mouth and nose evident. Because right now, like my original, it looks like it's completely skintight which wasn't exactly what I was going for. No idea how to make it work, but I'm sure I'll flail helplessly figure it out.

Still can't find the portraits that people are referencing but, oh well.