Paralells between Varm and Gaiden

Byte2222

Jugdral is a mere island compared to these lands lol

We can't assume that. FE4 portrayed it as tiny, compressing it all into a few maps, but FE5 showed it at a scale very comparable to the rest of the series - and is likely more accurate.

Edited by Othin

Not strictly related. But looking at the map, I'm curious, where is Jugdral? Wasn't it supposed to be in same world as Akaneia? That map looks awfully full with Varm and Iris.

It's over there, silly

I kind of want Jugdral too. Maybe a sequel?

From what I understand, they're planning on having 120 characters as DLC. So this is just the beginning.

However, I'm not sure we can assume that they'll be bringing in all the lords - and classes are part of the issue, since I highly doubt any DLC characters will get custom classes. When necessary, they'll probably just be adjusted to fit the closest thing that maintains the basics of their abilities: Micaiah would be a Sage, Alm would be a Hero, Hector would be a General. Messing around a bit with secondary weapons seems entirely reasonable: Hector, for example, would still be Hector with lances instead of swords. Hell, he was a General with just lances and axes in FE6's Trial Maps, which seem very much comparable.

I'm not sure about Celica. It's not like she had full access to healing spells in the first place, but I think she could more reasonably be made into a Sage than a Grandmaster or Dark Knight. That's just my impression without even having played FE2, however.

You're probably right; personally, though, I wouldn't want past characters to appear without their original weapons.

Theoretically speaking, if Cellica were made into a Grandmaster to use swords and tomes, then perhaps a skill like Sacrifice from Radiant Dawn would allow her to use healing magic. This seems fitting to me, considering that spells had to be used at the cost of your own HP in Gaiden. However, I think it's unlikely that such a skill will appear in this game.

Also, maybe Arum could be an Assassin, if he needs to use both swords and bows. Now that I think about it, the Assassin class would also suit Lyndis. As for Hector, why not just make him a Hero with high defence so he can use both swords and axes?

One thing to consider is that if these main characters do become available, it will probably be through paid DLC as opposed to Spotpass, and I think if we're actually paying for this content then there's a higher chance that they'll come along with special classes or skills to suit them.

...I'm getting kind of off-topic, though.

One thing to consider is that if these main characters do become available, it will probably be through paid DLC as opposed to Spotpass, and I think if we're actually paying for this content then there's a higher chance that they'll come along with special classes or skills to suit them.

This is a good point.

However, if that's not the case, I don't think original weapons will be given as much weight as you say. Alm's Hero class seems to be a fighter-style class, while the Assassin class still appears to be thief-style. It seems to me that there's more of a difference there than there is between two physical secondary weapons.

This is a good point.

However, if that's not the case, I don't think original weapons will be given as much weight as you say. Alm's Hero class seems to be a fighter-style class, while the Assassin class still appears to be thief-style. It seems to me that there's more of a difference there than there is between two physical secondary weapons.

Fair enough. Thematically, and probably stat-wise, Hero or Lord does seem more appropriate for him.

Which is why it gets into the territory of whether we're paying to unlock characters already in the game, or actually downloading them. Where is game-essential data going to be stored that isn't a part of the game it-self? On that SD memory thing the 3DS uses (or is it flash? it's horrible small in either case). Downloading a custom model, texture, voice, 2D elements, and stats may not end up as that large a data-chunk, but the game would be streaming it from somewhere that's not directly on-cart. Pair this with there being, apparently, according to one member, more than 120+ downloadable characters... that's very inadequate in terms of storage-capacity and utilization.

Whereas if the data is already in-game, and you're just paying to unlock it, there's no problem with how the game will efficiently get an entire team of characters whose data is not on the game itself, streaming coherently, smoothly, and practically.

Which is why it gets into the territory of whether we're paying to unlock characters already in the game, or actually downloading them. Where is game-essential data going to be stored that isn't a part of the game it-self? On that SD memory thing the 3DS uses (or is it flash? it's horrible small in either case). Downloading a custom model, texture, voice, 2D elements, and stats may not end up as that large a data-chunk, but the game would be streaming it from somewhere that's not directly on-cart. Pair this with there being, apparently, according to one member, more than 120+ downloadable characters... that's very inadequate in terms of storage-capacity and utilization.

Whereas if the data is already in-game, and you're just paying to unlock it, there's no problem with how the game will efficiently get an entire team of characters whose data is not on the game itself, streaming coherently, smoothly, and practically.

I have an idea on where the DLC is supposed to be saved if it's not supposed to be in-game.

I remember that in the system settings of the 3DS there's a place where you can view any add-on content that's been installed on the system, which I think is where the DLC is meant to be saved. I'm not entirely sure if this is what's it meant to be, but having the DLC stored on the system memory sounds the most practical.