Are the characters more than just cliches?

After browsing all of the characters revealed before the release of the game, I'm beginning to see most of them adhering to common JRPG archetypes i.e. the shota, the stuck-up rich bitch, the emotionless smart girl, the rich playboy...

I hope they all show signs of being unique characters during the game.

I hope they all show signs of being unique characters during the game.

That's what the supports are for. Subverting your exceptations and giving the characters depth. Mind, some supports don't add some much "character development" as "characters being hilarious".

You should check the Supports thread if you don't mind some spoilers. You will see some of the supports show hidden depths of otherwise unidimensional characters. I think the handling of these defining traits is better than in previous games like FE9, that only implied or slightly showed other traits of the 'cliched'/one-trait supporting cast (Kieran, Ilyana, Mia, etc.). From what I've read so far, characters like Gaia and Miriel have showed more than their character archetypes dictate. It might be a matter of opinion, but I like that you can distinguish all of them for simple things such as their way of talking or reactions. Even the equally crazy characters like Henry and Sariya, you could tell apart from how they would say a few lines. Hopefully, this is kept in the official English translation.

Yes, they are all unique despite their cliche appearance. A wise man once said, Don't judge a book by its cover. As Silent Merc said, check the support thread.

After browsing all of the characters revealed before the release of the game, I'm beginning to see most of them adhering to common JRPG archetypes i.e. the shota, the stuck-up rich bitch, the emotionless smart girl, the rich playboy...

You could say this about every game in the series.

The whole game is a bit of a cliche...........

A hero who is A prince fighting a dark dragon......

Also mu being a mysterious stranger who has lost their memory......

I'm not complaining though, the charecters are quite good!!!

Now if only there was a Joshua + Marisa archetype .... If only

You could say this about every game in the series.

Came in to post this and this is especially true for all the gba games. Some characters aren't but a lot of them are in each game even with supports.