Midnight's Official Artwork ReDux

MidnightShade

So, I decided to try this today. I don't think it was that good, since I had five minutes, but... here is my first one. I plan to upload more later. What do you think? It's not that good, but it's not terrible. I bet if I had taken more time, I could have remove that stupid white outline... dry.gif

[EDIT]: I redid it, and it looks far better in my opinion.

Limstella:

Limstella.png

Lyndis:

Lyndis.png

Edited by MidnightShade

The best advice I can give you is that if you're using Photoshop, either use the Quick Mask and invert the selection it makes after turning the Quick Mask off. Or use the Pen Tool to trace a path around the image, then turn that path into a selection. In both cases, creating and refining a Pixel Mask helps.

The white shadow lacks anti-aliasing, which is a no-no for most Photoshop things, period. The fastest way I know how to select objects surrounded by a single-color background is with the Magic Wand Tool...

Play around with selection tools and their options to get the hang of them, and make sure all your objects are anti-aliased. :)

The white shadow lacks anti-aliasing, which is a no-no for most Photoshop things, period. The fastest way I know how to select objects surrounded by a single-color background is with the Magic Wand Tool...

Play around with selection tools and their options to get the hang of them, and make sure all your objects are anti-aliased. :)

Thanks for the advice. I have never seen the value in anti aliasing though. I'll give it a shot though!

Thanks for the advice. I have never seen the value in anti aliasing though. I'll give it a shot though!

Big mistake there. You need to change that.

Jagged lines will be the death of your photoshopping if you continue with that mindset.

There's a checkbox option that does that on the top toolbar.

Use Magic wand, then go in with eraser to get the details. Magic wand's efficient for big things but it won't be able to get into the smaller portions as easily with regards to non-pixel artwork (aka spritework)

Another alternative for selecting something and removing the background from behind it is using the "Extract..." option. Before applying it, though, you should probably duplicate the layer that you'll be working with in case it doesn't come out quite right. After working with it a bunch, if you've got the time and patience, I've found that using a smaller brush size for the highlighter tends to make the selection that much more accurate, especially if there's a complex background that may mesh with colors in what you want to keep. You'll probably still have to go in with the Eraser tool (and maybe the Clone Brush tool as well to recover some stuff that may have had its opacity reduced) and clean some stuff up, but it's a lot better than erasing everything by hand.

I found a site where someone was posting about some methods to select stuff just yesterday, so maybe it'll help you too: Making Selections in Photoshop (Note that the site *does* cover how to properly use Extract, should that be a useful means of accomplishing what you want to do.)

Edited by Lord Glenn

Oh, another one that I like to do is use the pen tool and make a path around what you want to cut out, then right click and select "Make Selection From Path" or something of this sort (at school so don't have PS on me to check). You can always save the path and edit it if it's unsatisfactory.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice! So, should I upload more?

You can if you want, but it would be damn cool if you took everyone's suggestions regarding selections and the like.

I am trying. it's sorta hard to aproximate gimp commands and photoshop commands. 0_o I guess the phrase to follow is experiment repeatedly.

Edited by MidnightShade

You're using GIMP? Here's what you can do to invert selections:

1. Click on the Magic Wand.

2. Click on the background, and fiddle with the threshold until you get the outline (and not the white stuff).

3. Go to Select -> Invert (or Ctrl + I).

4. Ctrl + C, followed by Ctrl + Shift + V to get the inverted image into its own image.

5. Fiddle with the canvas size and whatnot, then do whatever you would be doing.