Shining Force

Psych

So I was looking for something to play earlier today and ended up finding this game. It's a Strategy/RPG game like Fire Emblem for those that don't know and apparently I'm playing a GBA remake. I vaguely remember playing this on one of my old computers back when I was like 6 or something, but I think I only got to like the first battle. It's actually really fun even though I'm only at like the second chapter. It doesn't divide battles into chapters like how FE does though, so there are like 5-6 battles per chapter.

But anyone got any suggestions right now? I'm using my people pretty evenly, but I'm really in love with Gong. I've been giving him like all my stat boosters. Who else should I use/what should I look out for? Right now I'm using a walkthrough to make sure I don't miss recruiting anyone, but other than that I'm going in pretty blind.

Lyle won't dissappoint. Balbaroy and Amon will dissappoint. Luke/Gort slow down hard around part 6.

Earnest, holy fuck use him. Kokichi is neat niche too, but bites in endgame.

And as always, Alef for Bolt madness.

Domingo too. So worth it.

Edited by Elieson

Yeah, I played this game. I can definitely tell you that Amon / Balbaroy are pretty useful.

My biggest advice is to make sure to collect cards throughout the game, all if possible. Why, you may ask:

After Normal Mode, you get Mawlock in the first battle

Edited by Colonel M

I'm at the circus battle, but this is like my third time doing it cause I keep placing Max in the wrong spot. All my knights kinda suck right now so I'm probably going to drop them soon. :/:

The funny part about that is that you probably didn't even get the worst knight (Arthur). Really, you should just use every single character you end up getting in the Pao Plains chapter (I think it's chapter 4) except Jogurt if you find him because they are all great.

No, I have Arthur. I'm pretty sure I have everyone up until the Marionette battle. I have the Domingo egg too.

I'll leave this battle till tomorrow, but It's really annoying with all the ice one shotting some people. I'll probably use the knights as bait and let them die. I'm probably gonna bench all three after this.

All three knights save Arthur (since he doesn't become good till power spear) should be pretty awesome right now, and Mae becomes explosively good later. What exactly are you doing with your knights throughout the game? If you're trying to play FE and distribute exp to very specific characters, this game will beat your ass for doing this. As for the other two knights, Ken is good but only for now, and Arthur is nothing special. I would drop them, but only when Pelle and Vankar/Kokichi come in. Earnest is not that good. He's mostly ust a really defensive knight, and at some point in the game enemies start ignoring defense.

Yeah though, the Marionette is a VERY annoying fight. Boss fights in SF are kinda like that, in that the bosses are VERY capable of kicking your ass. Just throw everything you got at it while being wary of the AoE of his spell. Don't be afraid of units dying in this game, it's a bit of a necessity at times.

Out of curiosity, you Egressing at all?

You wll find mobility to be highly useful in this game, but keep in mind terrain mobility as well. This is why Domingo is awesome, along with the birdmen. An archer can actually be good, but out ofall of them, I would not recommend Lyle. He has to deal with too much terrain with centaur movement type, which really limits what would otherwise be a pretty damn cool character. I would actually highly recommend Hans, since his Strength problem is made up by the fact that later bow weapons hit HARD.

Use Zylo. I'm not even kidding. You'll thank me later.

Edited by grandjackal

Yes, @ ZYLO.

Amon/Balbaroy are so exceedingly.average, and Amon gets 2HKO'd for like, ever. Balbaroy is good I admit, until you

lose the Dark Sword

Yes, Lyle suffers terrain penalties, but eventually you are gonna have Zylo, Kokichi and Domingo able to tear up everything anyway, and they will be so far ahead movement wise it isn't funny. Lategame town and tower levels will let Lyle shine, especially against some of the ridiculous boss battles.

Since you are playing the remake, take advantage of Narshen too. Her spells are pretty game breaking. Also, lategame Musashi and Hanzou hit like a speeding truck...seriously.

And yes, Arthur is horrible. Vankar is pretty fail too. Guntz starts kinda slow but becomes really good post promotion

Edited by Elieson

Vankar? Frail?

Uh, Vankar is probably only beat by Earnest in durability. Not even by that much, IIRC.

Lyle is pretty trash. No durability, no real movement, and he's a centaur. The next two chapters are filled to the brim with terrain. There are still battles where, if trained, he's okay, but Hans / Diane shouldn't suck that much at this point either.

All three knights save Arthur (since he doesn't become good till power spear) should be pretty awesome right now, and Mae becomes explosively good later. What exactly are you doing with your knights throughout the game? If you're trying to play FE and distribute exp to very specific characters, this game will beat your ass for doing this. As for the other two knights, Ken is good but only for now, and Arthur is nothing special. I would drop them, but only when Pelle and Vankar/Kokichi come in. Earnest is not that good. He's mostly ust a really defensive knight, and at some point in the game enemies start ignoring defense.

Yeah though, the Marionette is a VERY annoying fight. Boss fights in SF are kinda like that, in that the bosses are VERY capable of kicking your ass. Just throw everything you got at it while being wary of the AoE of his spell. Don't be afraid of units dying in this game, it's a bit of a necessity at times.

Out of curiosity, you Egressing at all?

You wll find mobility to be highly useful in this game, but keep in mind terrain mobility as well. This is why Domingo is awesome, along with the birdmen. An archer can actually be good, but out ofall of them, I would not recommend Lyle. He has to deal with too much terrain with centaur movement type, which really limits what would otherwise be a pretty damn cool character. I would actually highly recommend Hans, since his Strength problem is made up by the fact that later bow weapons hit HARD.

Use Zylo. I'm not even kidding. You'll thank me later.

I gave all the knights spears since I like the 1-2 range, so that might be it. Right now they just keep chipping pretty much everything. And I suppose the FE thing might be in affect, since I'm trying to feed exp to Gong and attempt to with Anri and Tao, but they're movement leaves something to be desired since they have a hard time catching up. I like Tao right now, since she has an AoE with Flame 2, but I've heard I should drop her once I get a different mage to fill her spot. Anri is staying I think.I am getting more comfortable with people dying though, since it isn't permanent like FE.

Not really, is there a reason why I should be?

Hans was doing like 2's, then I gave him a strength ring and he's okay for now.

I'm curious what do do about my Khris, since I think I'll drop Lowe eventually. Right now compared to the party she's underleveled, since it's hard for me to have her stay with the party and I don't really want to spam healing when I don't need it in case I run out of MP and then do need it. Also, when she promotes will she gain any offensive spells or will she always just suck at combat?

healers won't gain attack spells. Khris gains the only healing AoE Aura spell though, which is very useful. Torasu starts with it too, but he's very lategame.

Egressing refers to leveling, then using Egress to exit and reenter the battle and train more.

And Domingo will be your flying mage soon, with a veritable ton of MP, HP, and rock solid defense.

I'm on Chapter 3 now though, and Hans is awesome with a strength ring and the steel arrow. Gong can almost one shot a lot of enemies too. I think he's my favorite. I'm probably dropping Ken and Arthur for the two birds though.

I only went through the original game once when I was a stupid little kid, so there's only one piece of advice I can offer: USE THE FLYING KILLER SQUID BABY!!!