Gaming Laptop suggestions

Life

I need a new computer. A gaming one. One that isn't going to overheat. Any suggestions?

Price range would be... less than $2000. Preferably.

you write laptop in the topic but (personal) gaming computer in your post, so i'm not entirely sure if it's worth my time to go through linking you parts you can custom build yourself for cheap from newegg

if you don't want to go through the effort of building i just recommend looking into an alienware, stay away from dell etc. etc.

you write laptop in the topic but (personal) gaming computer in your post, so i'm not entirely sure if it's worth my time to go through linking you parts you can custom build yourself for cheap from newegg

if you don't want to go through the effort of building i just recommend looking into an alienware, stay away from dell etc. etc.

Unless Alienware has gotten better in the past four years, I wouldn't recommend them myself. I've had to deal with them, and it was far too frustrating for what the machine gave in return. Note, the last time I had dealings with them was almost two years ago at this point, but still... Also of note, Dell owns Alienware.

No time to build. Just want to buy.

Alienware? Ok. What about Lenovo?

As far as I know, Lenovo doesn't make any gaming-specific models. They may have some higher-end models that might suffice, but for the most part they don't expressly cater to that crowd. You'd have to check their product listings and see what the specs are on the higher end models. (I'm not familiar with all of the models, myself.)

I wouldn't buy a gaming laptop, unless you like knowing you could have a way better rig for half the price that won't burn your lap.

To be fair, there can be a necessity for one; I didn't want to lug a desktop, moniter, keyboard, mouse, etc. back and forth between home and college (2+ hours traveling time) just so I could game at school or at home when I was on break. Having a powerful machine that could travel easily and also take up a small amount of room in a dorm room/apartment can be beneficial.

I need a new computer. A gaming one. One that isn't going to overheat. Any suggestions?

Price range would be... less than $2000. Preferably.

If you want something that has a decent graphics card in it, you'll get the heating problem no matter what. To my own personal knowledge, there are a few models of high-end laptops that are built to channel the heat away as much as possible, though the model that I have I wouldn't recommend, simply because the company (ASUS) refuses to support it very well.

EDIT - I do have to ask, what are your reasons for wanting a gaming laptop specifically? It might help us yield better suggestions.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Lenovo - I service these damn things. If you asked about it three years ago, I would've yelled at you. It seems like they care more about quality. Anyway. . .

You'll probably want to check their small business line. I haven't had a chance to work with their X series for long, but they've given me the least amount of problems (in the course of a year it was one faulty monitor and two corrupted drives, which isn't too bad, and it's better than one particular model which was prone to disintegrating USB ports). Just be warned that their customer service is terrible.

dell is pretty shitty for gaming but everybody's entitled to their own opinion lol

maybe you invested in the wrong machine for the type of games you wanted to play if the machine didn't perform. my friend invested (didn't spare expenses) in an alienware rig in 07 and can still play mid tier quality games on it in 2012 np.

if you're talking customer service that's something else. i haven't had to deal with any companies in the 3 years since i've built my rig except with ASUS for a part replacement so i wouldn't know about that.

since he's not going to custom build his own rig with the proper casings etc. for overheating protection he might as well buy a starter gaming laptop for cheap from the pros who actually know what they're doing. and i wouldn't recommend lenovo either.

edit: my friend recommends this laptop though, within your price range: ASUS G75VW-DS73

tbh you can seriously get so much more performance and quality out of a custom built rig for like half the price of that, or even more depending on how much you want to go into your budget. my friend has another version (same line) of the above laptop for at least a year now and has no problems running high tier hardware intensive games like diablo 3 etc. on a daily

Edited by bllllllllllllack.mamba.ops

I wouldn't recommend a gaming laptop at all, because of the cramped parts, insufficient cooling (cooling is essential since all of the heat that the GPU and CPU has to kick off, and the small room that is available inside the laptops make it more difficult to exhaust heat), terrible price-to-performance ratio when compared to desktops, and that they are not as portable as standard laptops. There are more, but I don't feel like going through my head at the moment to find them.

If you really need one, get one from ASUS or MSI.

Edited by BLS

EDIT - I do have to ask, what are your reasons for wanting a gaming laptop specifically? It might help us yield better suggestions.

I play League of Legends. So essentially, a computer that can handle decent quality MMOs.

I play League of Legends. So essentially, a computer that can handle decent quality MMOs.

Just League of Legends? You don't need a $2000 budget for that. That's fucking crazy. So you should expound on what kinds of MMOs you're looking at. Or better yet, send me the $1000 and I'll give you my laptop. It can run it, no problem.

Just League of Legends? You don't need a $2000 budget for that. That's fucking crazy. So you should expound on what kinds of MMOs you're looking at. Or better yet, send me the $1000 and I'll give you my laptop. It can run it, no problem.

Last time I bought a computer, it was fucking expensive. Excuse me if prices went down to normal. Plus I'm doing money conversion since Israel is expensive as fuck.

Will your comp overheat?

Last time I bought a computer, it was fucking expensive. Excuse me if prices went down to normal. Plus I'm doing money conversion since Israel is expensive as fuck.

Will your comp overheat?

It gets warm, but it doesn't overheat. Just keep the bottom of the laptop open to airflow--some people use soda bottle caps as little legs. But I wouldn't want to sell you mine, 'cause you could get a way better deal. I got a refurbished deal off tigerdirect.com, a $500USD dropped to $300USD.

I didn't account for some markets like yours. Some prices really are wonky, so it's good to know your location. Give use an idea of the games you want to play and we can match you to an idea of a laptop to buy.

Edited by Celice