Kram's Sprite Stuff

Kramy

So I decided to muster up the courage and post a sprite gallery here. Don't tear me up too bad, guys. Haha...

I mostly have battle sprites since they appeal to me more though I am slowly testing the waters of mugshot. I do hope to improve so critiques are welcome and I'll try my best to incorporate them. (Ignore some of the white boxes, too lazy to make them transparent)

I have a lot but these are just some that I think are more presentable.

[spoiler=Castlevania stuff]

jonathanandcharlotte.pngsomacruz.pngalucard.pngalbus.pngmariar.pngshanoa.png

Whooo!! Castlevania characters galore... maybe

swordglyphspritesheet.png

Some sprite sheet I tried to make.

[spoiler=Some Custom Classes]

griffinandgriffinriders.png

newgriffinknight.png

Made these griffins sprites before there was even a griffin class, some of the first sprites I made. Simple splicing and custom head.

dracolichknight.png

Yay for dead wyvern knight :D I like this a lot.

charioteer.png

Charioteer, what else?

fourhousemen.png

The 4 horsemen, another of my earlier ones

newskeletongreatknight.png

A skeleton great knight. Gotta love undead soldiers :P A remake of a not-so-good sprite

berserknew.png

Another undead unit. Another remake of a not-so-good sprite ^_^;

[spoiler=Other Stuff]

halloweensmall.png

Halloween exchange. Ike as Haar, Elincia as Jill, Heath trying and failing at making a ghost costume for his wyvern, and Rolf and Boyd in the pumpkin patch the pumpkins are pretty bad :(

nteamavatar.png

Yay! New Team Avatar!! :D Korra's skin is too light, need help to make it darker please

I guess the main one that I really want some critique on is this:

fallenknight.png

I referenced a lot of sprites to make this and I'm pretty sure my shading is everywhere in a bad way. And the gauntlets are pretty crappy.

Edited by Kramgnauh

Maybe try using the skincolor from for example Igrene's mug on your Korra? I also think she needs darker hair.

I don't have much more to say. I'm not good with battlesprites. That's why I settled with mugs myself.

those look very nice although i`m not the best judge for this sort of thing

you should try making animations

Thanks! no way I am ready for custom Animations XD

Maybe try using the skincolor from for example Igrene's mug on your Korra? I also think she needs darker hair.

I don't have much more to say. I'm not good with battlesprites. That's why I settled with mugs myself.

Hmm... I'll try that. Thanks! :D

EDIT: It didn't work so well....

Edited by Kramgnauh

Your work shows plenty of creativity and most of them are neatly spliced. I'm sure that you could move on to FC battle-sprites before you know it. Keep it up :)

Your work shows plenty of creativity and most of them are neatly spliced. I'm sure that you could move on to FC battle-sprites before you know it. Keep it up :)

Thanks! I been slowly moving towards full custom though of course, I still need a lot of practice ^_^;

Edited by Kramgnauh

Your stuff is pretty good, I gotta say! Yeah they all have their problems but overall, I am pretty impressed. ^.^

I am only going to critique the knight though because you asked for critique on that one, it looks like your most recent, and I am too damn lazy to do them all.

1. My first problem with it is that there is too much black outline in the sprite itself. It is alright to use some outline in the sprite but too much makes things look segmented.

2. Secondly, the left(opv) arm and the torso are too long. The torso may need to be to a pixel thinner as well (I think it looks better a pixel thinner but you might not).

3. You should never have light colours exposed to the background. I am referring to the bottom of the skirt/cloth between his legs. The bottom of it lacks an outline. It is fine to use the darkest shade of something as an outline instead of the normal black (like the darkest skin tone to outline exposed skin or the face) but not the lightest shade (especially white).

4. There needs to be more colour variation. I know he is supposed to be all grey but you can still give some variety by shading the underwear (on this legs, torso, arms, and hands) with the darkest and middle shades of grey to make it look darker than the armour (or better yet, using the darkest shade of grey and the outline colour). You should try adding some red in there as well considering that you only used it for his face (?) and a gem on his weapon.

5. Yeah the gauntlets are probably the worst part. It's not the shading of them, it's the shape. There is really no way I can say how to fix this besides just fooling around with it a bit more, though referencing the skirt armour shape will probably help you. Also, the grey that is to the right (opv) of the white trim of the gauntlet (I assume that it is suppose to be his arm) shouldn't be there because it makes the shape of the arm and hand look awkward.

6. The hands are also oddly shaped. They should be thicker.

Hoping this makes sense. :P

Good luck. :)

Your stuff is pretty good, I gotta say! Yeah they all have their problems but overall, I am pretty impressed. ^.^

I am only going to critique the knight though because you asked for critique on that one, it looks like your most recent, and I am too damn lazy to do them all.

1. My first problem with it is that there is too much black outline in the sprite itself. It is alright to use some outline in the sprite but too much makes things look segmented.

2. Secondly, the left(opv) arm and the torso are too long. The torso may need to be to a pixel thinner as well (I think it looks better a pixel thinner but you might not).

3. You should never have light colours exposed to the background. I am referring to the bottom of the skirt/cloth between his legs. The bottom of it lacks an outline. It is fine to use the darkest shade of something as an outline instead of the normal black (like the darkest skin tone to outline exposed skin or the face) but not the lightest shade (especially white).

4. There needs to be more colour variation. I know he is supposed to be all grey but you can still give some variety by shading the underwear (on this legs, torso, arms, and hands) with the darkest and middle shades of grey to make it look darker than the armour (or better yet, using the darkest shade of grey and the outline colour). You should try adding some red in there as well considering that you only used it for his face (?) and a gem on his weapon.

5. Yeah the gauntlets are probably the worst part. It's not the shading of them, it's the shape. There is really no way I can say how to fix this besides just fooling around with it a bit more, though referencing the skirt armour shape will probably help you. Also, the grey that is to the right (opv) of the white trim of the gauntlet (I assume that it is suppose to be his arm) shouldn't be there because it makes the shape of the arm and hand look awkward.

6. The hands are also oddly shaped. They should be thicker.

Hoping this makes sense. :P

Good luck. :)

Thanks so much eCut! I'll try my best to incorporate your critique :D

Edited by Kramgnauh

Whoa, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. You now have my interest. I feel like the Rider of War could be added to, he seems a little plain in comparison to the others. The Rider of Death's steed is kind of ambiguous, is it supposed to be skeletal or ethereal?

As for the sprite you actually wanted critique on, I'm seeing 2 things:

1. He could stand to be a little bulkier to match his weapon.

2. Perspective. The body and head are at like a 3/4 angle but the weapon looks at us straight on. Also, the foot on our left seems turned too much and that makes it appear broken.

Overall, though, I really like what I'm seeing :)

Whoa, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. You now have my interest. I feel like the Rider of War could be added to, he seems a little plain in comparison to the others. The Rider of Death's steed is kind of ambiguous, is it supposed to be skeletal or ethereal?

As for the sprite you actually wanted critique on, I'm seeing 2 things:

1. He could stand to be a little bulkier to match his weapon.

2. Perspective. The body and head are at like a 3/4 angle but the weapon looks at us straight on. Also, the foot on our left seems turned too much and that makes it appear broken.

Overall, though, I really like what I'm seeing :)

Thanks! True, War can be pimped a bit though I was kinda going for the look of a barbarian. Maybe more armor for him? Death's steed is suppose to be skeletal. That skeletal horse was made when I first started ^_^; I'll probably revamp it sometime

and thanks for the critique, I'll keep those two in mind when I do start fixing that knight I'm pretty lazy and get distracted very easily...

Edited by Kramgnauh

Woah! I really like these! Do you plan on animating of them?

Thanks and heeeeck no lol! XD I still need to get familiar with the proportions and shading before I feel really confident in making animations.

• 1 month later...

I should add some stuff here while I still have internet...

[spoiler=Some more slightly old stuff]

knightmage.png

One of my full custom battle sprite: Knight Mage. A remake of a crappy and lazy splice I did.

necromancer.png

Another full custom. A necromancer what else?

powerrangers.png

Power rangers anyone XD

wingedlancer.png

Based this guy on the Polish Winged Hussars. Those guys look so cool!!

[spoiler=Not FE battle sprites but still FE related]

nephenee.png

lyn.png

Full customs yay! These are JUS sprites which are from a game similar to Super Smash Bros except all characters are from manga.

fallenknightv3.png

So I updated my Fallen Knight sprite with a lot of help from eCut and Primefusion. How does it look now?

cannon.png

A new sprite that I have been working on for a while.

spriteconference.png

I guess I should add a mugshot here... I present Charmus! Made him for the 59th(?) splice competition .

Edited by Kramgnauh

I really like that Fallen Knight. Kind of reminds me of Sauron.

The canon's also very nice, but I'd suggest angling it up a little a bit. Most canons I can find are at a bit of an angle so as to actually reach their targets, and it'd probably look more natural and be easier to animate that way.

This one's particularly appealing, somehow. Would you mind if I played with it a bit?

No problems about that. Have at it :D

I really like that Fallen Knight. Kind of reminds me of Sauron.

The canon's also very nice, but I'd suggest angling it up a little a bit. Most canons I can find are at a bit of an angle so as to actually reach their targets, and it'd probably look more natural and be easier to animate that way.

Man, I never find good references... Thanks a bunch for them :D True, I did want it to be at an angle since it would make more sense, but it never really looked right. I'll try it again.

armor_sprites.gif

I mean clearly you did a lot of editing and tried to make it something new but it's still not okay and you should ask permission (although then people might(will) say no)

The shield is definitely yours but made a bit bigger(and I was actually going to say it looked like your centurion shield) but the other parts doesn't really look like he edited your sprite. It looks like he referenced it (albeit too heavily) but I don't think it was actually an edit of your sprite. There was actually a little incident a few weeks ago dealing with the same thing.

Granted, you know your sprites better than I do but that is just my opinion.

I do suggest you are more careful with these sorts of things Kram; people can recognize their own work and are not fond of other people editing it without their permission.

Though I wish to hear what you have to say (a private message between the three of us -- Bwd, Kram, eCut -- would be best because your thread does not need to be derailed by it).

A note to everyone else:

You have no need nor do you have the authority to comment on this unless you are a fellow staff member, Bwdyeti, or Kram. If you do so then there will be consequences. You have been warned.

Edited by eCut