English name changes?

What I think? There's been little pattern to name changes in localisation before and, as plenty of people have already said, nothing good can come of debating it. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what they actually do change as the whole point of localisation is to make the game make more sense in another language.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but m8 you see

You see m8

In Chrono Trigger

Retranslationexample.png

You see ozzie was actually VINEGAR and he should be so because

we cannot insult nippon masters

I know, right? That's why in Chrono Cross two people were localized to Solt and Peppor, and another to Ketchop.

You also forgot that Flea and Slash were also named after condiments (popular condiments at that). The name's not any more absurd than them being changed to rock idols.

Oddly, "Soiree" reminds me of "sorry"... I dread the thought of their names being switched. o.o; That would be so very confusing to me..

Or with a French pronounciation?

(like in all previous FE's, though some of the name changes were completely odd while the original's were normal (Kevin -> Kieran?)

I assume that's because Kieran sounded more fantasy to an English-speaking audience than Kevin did.

Maybe like Terra being Terra in the English translation of FF6 instead of Tina. They just thought Tina wasn't particularly fantastical sounding to English natives, iirc.

I kind of hope they don't change Sol, still. >_> I like the name particularly. We'll see, I suppose. I'm sure it'll be fine, though I hadn't expected it of all things to be one of the main points of name changes.

Edited by Spectakitty

EDIT: I also think Tiamo's name is going to get changed somewhat, but we'll see.

Changing Tiamo's name would be really stupid because it fits her perfectly.

It's pretty close to "I love you" in italian

and considering her feelings for Krom that fits pretty well.

I assume that's because Kieran sounded more fantasy to an English-speaking audience than Kevin did.

Maybe like Terra being Terra in the English translation of FF6 instead of Tina. They just thought Tina wasn't particularly fantastical sounding to English natives, iirc.

I kind of hope they don't change Sol, still. >_> I like the name particularly. We'll see, I suppose. I'm sure it'll be fine, though I hadn't expected it of all things to be one of the main points of name changes.

Quite possibly. I only found it odd because Oscar is a fairly common name in the west, so Kevin wouldn't have been out of place with that. Oh well, he was hilarious anyways.

Yeah I like Sol's name, but it just seems like it might because there's a skill of the same name in game, but maybe they won't change it after all? Only time will tell.

Changing Tiamo's name would be really stupid because it fits her perfectly.

It's pretty close to "I love you" in italian

and considering her feelings for Krom that fits pretty well.

I suppose so. I'm not saying I want it changed, I'm just thinking that her name is going to be strange as is when brought to North America, and knowing how localization works, she might be a prime candidate.

Trying to think like a developer is all.

Edited by Charlie

I'm still ok if they might give some of the new names and/or keep some of the ones used from Japan for Kakusei.

Now then, how the heck do Nintendo get "Caeda" from Sheeda?!

Personally, I like Caeda better than Sheeda.

Edited by King Marth 64

Isn't the C-A-E in Caeda pronounced "see"? You know, somewhat like with the name Caesar? Making it pronounced "SEE-dah"

Anyway though, although I kind of like a girl as cool as Serge having a name like that, I don't really expect them to keep her name. Maybe it's too masculine.

I thought it was うんん that meant no.

This is correct.

うんん、う~ん and んん are different ways of writing the same thing.

Isn't the C-A-E in Caeda pronounced "see"? You know, somewhat like with the name Caesar? Making it pronounced "SEE-dah"

According to the Latin way of pronouncing it, it's actually Kaisar, and Kaida. I'm not entirely sure where they got Caeda from, but I think it looks better than Sheeda/Shiida. I guess in Spanish or whatever, with Cesar, it fits better? I dunno.

My main gripe is with Sumia being romanised to Smia on FE World, and I hope they change that one.

Edited by Pandorakun

According to the Latin way of pronouncing it, it's actually Kaisar, and Kaida. I'm not entirely sure where they got Caeda from, but I think it looks better than Sheeda/Shiida. I guess in Spanish or whatever, with Cesar, it fits better? I dunno.

My main gripe is with Sumia being romanised to Smia on FE World, and I hope they change that one.

Except no one really uses the Latin pronunciation anymore? It's just as likely the name was just completely changed to Kaeda/Kaida/Kayda/Some other bullshit spelling and they stuck a C in there instead.

But really who knows what the hell goes through the mind of a translator when they see a name.

Edited by Jedor

I thought the Cae in Caeda was pronounced the same as in Caesar, so it'd be pronounced Seeda. I still prefer the European version Shiida, though.

I just hope Sumia isn't called Smia, apart from that I'm okay with every name change they want to make.

I thought the Cae in Caeda was pronounced the same as in Caesar, so it'd be pronounced Seeda. I still prefer the European version Shiida, though.

I just hope Sumia isn't called Smia, apart from that I'm okay with every name change they want to make.

Caeda isn't that bad.

-----

Chrono Trigger had made changes to make it more kiddy audience for us. But named after condiments, I never knew.

Edited by アイネ

*smacks forehead* Why did I not think of this?

Caeda is gaelic, trying to use latin roots is like trying to to research physics problems using a cookbook.

Barring name changes for length, most of the name changes are to match to the most official spelling to proper names in Northwest Europe, some names are from Greek/Roman origins but as often we get German and Gaelic roots. They avoid Welsh due to spelling concerns, probably.

Caeda is gaelic, trying to use latin roots is like trying to to research physics problems using a cookbook.

Fair enough, I didn't know that.

You'd think they'd change it to Caeda in the PAL version too then.

Fair enough, I didn't know that.

You'd think they'd change it to Caeda in the PAL version too then.

It kinda surprised me too, that the PAL version used a different name. Since i recognized the spelling as matching Gaelic without knowing the word (when it comes to Caeda), it seemed like a good fit both regions.

It might be along the lines of the Kevin name change, but honestly choices for localization are as much art as they are rule. I try not to second guess them, as they could be equal parts reasonable (picking a legitimate name) as insulting (belief we can't figure out Xyst's pronunciation).

It might be along the lines of the Kevin name change, but honestly choices for localization are as much art as they are rule. I try not to second guess them, as they could be equal parts reasonable (picking a legitimate name) as insulting (belief we can't figure out Xyst's pronunciation).

I always thought the name "Xyst" was kind of silly. It looks like "Cyst". Alternatives would have likely be Jist or Gist which are equally as bad. Gerik is fine for me.

I always thought the name "Xyst" was kind of silly. It looks like "Cyst". Alternatives would have likely be Jist or Gist which are equally as bad. Gerik is fine for me.

But the you get issues of "Stefan looks weird," or Kieran, or Limstella, or pretty much any name from a subjective lens. Brom looks weird. Sanaki looks weird. Zelgius looks weird. Good and bad become irrelevant under such interpretations.

I always saw it as Jist, with the J as a silent sound (like in Sonja or Lofa).

Edited by Celice

What about female Mark? Do you think they will change her name to something else? I was thinking something like Mara or Marisa, maybe Myra or Mira? Might not even be an M name at all.

I'm cool with whatever they do with the names as long as it's reasonable.

And by reasonable I mean don't name Sumia "Bob" or something ridiculous. I have a pretty broad range of "reasonable".

Although everyone Vergil is good too

Edited by Fat Bunny