Unabashedly Nooby

Blazing Samurai8905

Alright. I'm using FeEditor ADV to change simple character names. I open the text editor. Find the name ( aka Lyn[.][X]) and replace it with my own character's name (Alzer[.][X])

I hit replace all. Wait a little bit and see the change.

I save my rom and exit the editor

The problem is that now when I open my rom in Visualboy, I cant even get to the main menu. Instead the screen goes black and screeches at meblink.gif .

I've recolored portraits and other things and the rom takes to those

changes easily. I dont know whats happening.

What am I missing/doing wrong?

My gut tells me is obvious, but even when I make the change

without changing all the text...the same screeching black screen of death

appears.

any help will be appreciated

Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

Edited by Blazing Samurai8905

It usually works just doing that too, though, eric. Idk why it wouldn't work, it should. Try doing the open FEditor, do nothing, save, close it, reopen it, then make changes thing (if you haven't already)

It usually works just doing that too, though, eric. Idk why it wouldn't work, it should. Try doing the open FEditor, do nothing, save, close it, reopen it, then make changes thing (if you haven't already)

I stay the HELL away from the "Replace all" and script dump and insert functions... simply because the compressed text... will be replaced. That means uncompressing it, editing it, then recompressing it. Seeing if it's bigger than the original, and repoint it to free space if it is. At least that's how I imagine the process is with FEditor...

But anyways, that tends to lead to... problems if your checksum isn't fixed and FEditor is throwing a fit about "Where the hell do I put this text if there's no free space according to the footer? End of the ROM? Pfft... that's too easy. I'll just crash the ROM."

And if you didn't get the joke... it's pretty much "I don't know how it happens to break if that situation happens, and why it just doesn't write to the end of the ROM normally."

And if you didn't get the joke... it's pretty much "I don't know how it happens to break if that situation happens, and why it just doesn't write to the end of the ROM normally."

Because it's really flaky and honestly needs a complete redesign. Ideally once NM3 can insert stuff, it will be possible to make tools along the lines of FEditor, but that just create NM3 data files and such for animations and portraits, instead of doing the actual rip/burn work. For text editing you'd just edit a dump directly.

Also like probably at least 3/4 of the outright bugs in it are my fault

Edited by zahlman

barring that i have plans written out for a redesign of the way feditor handles metadata so people can manually allocate space for data instead of praying that feditor does it properly for them

which will probably take forever and be inferior to just redoing it from scratch but whatever