Emulating FE9

Since I lost the Dolphin emulator version which could run FE9 without that many glitches (because of my Graphics card and version) with the exception of crashing randomly, I haven't been able to find another compatible version to play it. I really wish I could play it again, as it's one of my favorite FEs, but it's kind of hard to find one that would run without a lot of lag, music overlapping and be compatible with an Intel HD graphics card.

Could someone recommend me a version, please?

be compatible with an Intel HD graphics card.

An integrated graphics thing? Good luck--your best bet is to run at the lowest resolution possible (which shouldn't be hard, considering how small the GameCube's native resolution is).

You may not have the hardware to get fluid emulation running.

I'm managing FE9 with my Laptop's ATI HD 5700 Mobility. It slows down a little in some places, but it's generally reliable. There's the odd crash and music issues but save states solve that.

I'm still trying to get the music to work right. Half the time, the music won't even start. I've tried using DSP LLE emulation, but since the game isn't running full speed, the music is choppy. I've tried a couple of fixes, but it still gets all choppy on me.

Tell me if you ever manage to fix this issue. No offense, but I've been running this game on a more powerful computer and still have problems.

It's no use. The best I managed to do was running it with the music overlapping itself, major lag in some places and sudden crashes.

... Meh, I wish I could emulate it on the Wii. Buying a Gamecube Controller + Memory Card + the original game (or pirating it, whatever the case) is expensive to me.

It's no use. The best I managed to do was running it with the music overlapping itself, major lag in some places and sudden crashes.

... Meh, I wish I could emulate it on the Wii. Buying a Gamecube Controller + Memory Card + the original game (or pirating it, whatever the case) is expensive to me.

Specs would be nice.

Along with the rest of your plugin choices/settings (if you choose something out of the ordinary).

Well, considering how we didn't have any information on what your setup is... we couldn't really help.

Oh well. *shrug*

Sell all your old systems, build a nice gaming rig (not as expensive as you'd think), emulate everything you sold with no probs. Solution! :)

(or craigslist)

Well, considering how we didn't have any information on what your setup is... we couldn't really help.

Oh well. *shrug*

I have an Intel Core i3 and an Intel HD Graphics card. I'm not using any plugins other than the ones that already came with the emulator. All I did was change the settings to the recommended ones (found in the Dolphin site) for a faster/more efficient emulation.

I have an Intel Core i3 and an Intel HD Graphics card. I'm not using any plugins other than the ones that already came with the emulator. All I did was change the settings to the recommended ones (found in the Dolphin site) for a faster/more efficient emulation.

RAM? Processor speed?

• 2 weeks later...

Specs would be nice.

I don't have ready access to the computer, but from what I remember, it has an intel core2 duo processor, an ATI Mobility Radeon 4500 series graphics card, and 4 GB of ram. I can't remember the processor speed, but if I'm not mistaken it's 1.6 gHz.

The game runs full speed when I'm using DSP HLE sound emulation, but the music fails to start about half the time. I tried using DSP LLE, but it caused the game to slow down and hiccup.

If you can help me, great, if not, that's fine too.

I don't have ready access to the computer, but from what I remember, it has an intel core2 duo processor, an ATI Mobility Radeon 4500 series graphics card, and 4 GB of ram. I can't remember the processor speed, but if I'm not mistaken it's 1.6 gHz.

The game runs full speed when I'm using DSP HLE sound emulation, but the music fails to start about half the time. I tried using DSP LLE, but it caused the game to slow down and hiccup.

If you can help me, great, if not, that's fine too.

Those specs are barely enough to get it to full speed on CERTAIN parts of the game when using the actual Wii DSP that is dumped.

That explains it mostly.

Those specs are barely enough to get it to full speed on CERTAIN parts of the game when using the actual Wii DSP that is dumped.

That explains it mostly.

I don't know how to see my specs. If I knew, I'd tell you. >:

A more amateurish, but slightly more detailed method, is to do 'Windows key + r', then run 'dxdiag'.

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=23618

Here are some suggest settings which give primacy to speed rather than accurate emulation. Remember that these are not cross-game perfected, so you should expect further tweaking for games that don't play well with these settings, but they might help you out a little. And again, run at the lowest possible resolution available. If you can't stand it, scale it up with your video card device--don't render an actually larger screen.

edit: of course, if you are gonna try this, make sure to back up your ini settings if you don't think you'll remember them. It'd suck to lose whatever speed you already have if the edits turn out to not be as helpful as they were for others.

Edited by Celice

Well, now I can play FE9 with 30% speed minimum (only during the battle step. On the Player/Enemy turns, I play it with 40% speed). The rest's always above 80%, so I'm satisfied... My only problem is the music hiccuping and making bips and bops from the NES era.

You might be able to disable sound emulation for a performance boost (as in NO emulation for it, not just muted). And if you're on Windows 7, you can try disabling any of the fancy effects for the desktop, like the aero-effect, if you're desperate for a little more oomph. Check your running processes and see if there's anything besides dolphin running, things you can safely disable to give dolphin a bit more resources for its emulation.

I haven't played much with dolphin, but these are generic tips for getting better performance anyways, so :/

(edit: could'a swore there was a post above here...)

Edited by Celice

Actually, the game runs at 80% speed (even in cutscenes/battle animations) when I have nothing else open in the laptop... Until it starts overheating (it overheats so easily that it makes playing Dragon Age, LoL and Civ4 impossible), which by then it drops to 50-60% speed.

I need a better graphics card, I think that's the reason why it overheats so easily. But it's a laptop, so... I don't know which graphics card I should use.

Edited by Rapier

I need a better graphics card, I think that's the reason why it overheats so easily. But it's a laptop, so... I don't know which graphics card I should use.

You can't throw in a graphics card on a laptop aside from those external ones (which defeat the purpose of portability for laptops unless you're okay with that).

Edited by BLS

Well, I'm ok with that. It's hard for me to take my laptop when I leave home, anyway. And when I do, I don't run most of the "heavy" games/programs.

If you're wanting gaming, you shouldn't be trying to go with a laptop anyways, lest you have tons of money you enjoy giving away :E It's much cheaper just to build a machine yourself, and have more power, than try to get a laptop worth gaming on.