Considering Starting This Series...

luigi bros

I have a lot of free time over the summer and I was thinking about starting the Pokemon series.

I have a few questions

1. I know it's an RPG series but how similar is it to Final Fantasy?

2. Are there remakes in the series? I'd rather play a remade Gameboy game for the GBA then the old black and white version.

3. How time consuming is the series? Like how long does it take to 100% a game?

1. Not very. There are a lot of differences; just play it

2. The oldest game you need to play is GBA (Fire Red/Leaf Green) which is a remake + of the first games. Then Heart Gold and Soul Silver on DS, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald on GBA, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum on DS and Black/White on DS.

3. You don't 100% Pokemon games. But, uh, to beat the main 'story' takes like 20~ hours? Some games have extra gameplay (FR/LG/B/W) while others have a Battle Tower (R/S/D/P) or an entire Battle Frontier (E/P/HG/SS)

Edited by Ninja Caterpie

I have a lot of free time over the summer and I was thinking about starting the Pokemon series.

I have a few questions

1. I know it's an RPG series but how similar is it to Final Fantasy?

2. Are there remakes in the series? I'd rather play a remade Gameboy game for the GBA then the old black and white version.

3. How time consuming is the series? Like how long does it take to 100% a game?

I haven't played Final Fantasy, so I can't really compare. But in Pokemon, you control your human character, and use your first Pokemon to catch other Pokemon, they grow levels as they gain experience by KOing other Pokemon, they learn new/stronger moves, evolve into stronger forms, you play through the game, primarily beating "gym leaders" situated in a special gyms dotted throughout the region. Beat all 8 gym leaders to face the final challenge, the Elite 4, and the Champion, who is probably the toughest fight in the game, depending on which game of the series you are playing.

And yes there are remakes...

You had generation 1 - Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow. All quite similar.

Generation 2 - Gold, Silver an Crystal. All quite similar.

Generation 3 was where the first remakes appeared. After original games Ruby and Sapphire came out, FireRed and LeafGreen were made - remakes of Pokemon Red and Blue of Generation 1.

Generation 4 had Diamond and Pearl come out. The remakes in Generation 4 were Heart Gold and Soul Silver, remakes of Gold and Silver in Generation 2.

As for "100%"ing a game, how far are you willing to go? Beat the Elite Four and Champion? Complete the Pokedex (catch all Pokemon)? Beat any other challenges which aren't needed to be done, for example the Battle Towers which are included in several games? EVERYTHING?

Everything would take (me) like a thousand hours. Because I suck at giving a shit about things I don't necessarily care about.

But completing the game up to the point where you beat the Champion should take definitely no longer than 15 hours of solid play, I'd say.

One other question: I know that each game has an alternate version, so what are the differences between them? (If it's specific to each game, just a general idea is all I want)

Up to BW/BW2 the only real differences were "version exclusives", which were just a handful of Pokémon that could only be found in one of the games and starting with GS that included a legendary Pokémon or two. The third versions (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, etc.) were the most distinctive out of any trio, having improved graphics (most of the time, at least) and introducing at least one thing entirely unique to that version such as obtaining all the starters legitimately and the whole Pikachu gimmick in Yellow, the Battle Tower in Crystal, and the Battle Frontiers in Emerald and Platinum. In Black/White not only do you get the usual version exclusive thing but you also now get a version specific area: White Forest for White and Black City for Black. They aren't wtfamazing, but it's still a bit better than what we normally get. And I can't say much of anything on BW2 as I've been staying as far from spoilers on it as I can, although I do know that White Forest and Black City make a return with the added coolness of being able to switch between the two in the same game.

it's not so much like RPGs in general, more of a monster catcher/breeder. your pokemon do level up and gain stats, and there's some sense of a max stat, but it's really open in terms of how you train and what your natures and IVs are. it's really a fun series once you get the ball rolling, and it's insanely popular for a reason. it's open to pretty much any age of gamer, and still vastly fun. in reality pokemon games are really dumbed down because of the lower target audience, so really stats aren't as important in-game as other RPGs. you can get by just fine with just about any pokemon, which is also sort of unique if a few of your favorites happen to be not the best stat-wise.