Why is Low Availability Held Against a Unit?

luigi bros

If me and Paperblade both gave you a dollar every day, but I started doing it today and he started doing it next week, which one of us is more helpful to you?

If me and Paperblade both gave you a dollar every day, but I started doing it today and he started doing it next week, which one of us is more helpful to you?

That's easy, but what if Paperblade gave him 2 dollars instead? I think this is more or less the argument here.

Few people care about what I say but I think availability is important, but not as much as some would make it out to be. Basically if you aren't available for very long but you're used for the whole time you're pretty good, even if you're not amazing.

That's easy, but what if Paperblade gave him 2 dollars instead? I think this is more or less the argument here.

Then which one is better depends on how long we do it for. That's essentially the same as what tier lists do: multiplying availability by usefulness.

I was looking at the FE10 RTU and I was surprised to see Caineghis get such a low rating.

I can understand for Est units that they join late and are severly underleveled, but why would a unit be given a low rating if they join late, but are good and can easily fit into the team?

The way I see it Caineghis is one of the best units in the game since he can fight well, and he requires no effort to get to that point.

If we did it your way, you would be penalising other characters for having high availability. After all, in 1-6, Tauroneo is a very capable fighter, that doesn't require any previous investment, just like Caineghis. However, he's not really so great after he rejoins in Part 3. Essentially, you'd be saying that existing in a chapter and being below average is a negative (which is what smashfanatic thinks, hence putting Lehran in the middle of every list he makes). This is also referred to as "net utility", because we are adjusting the rating of a unit based on how they contribute compared to the other units on the team, rather than "gross utility" which just adds up all a character's contributions.

Moreover, I don't think that current lists/RTUs really penalise low availability or reward high availability. Units like FE9 Rolf and FE10 Ilyana have great availability, but they're still shafted on the tier lists.

Probably because nobody knows what they're doing

Yes, it can't possibly just be a difference of opinion.

Edited by Anouleth