Here I begin my journey

Nic

I salute everybody in this Creative Subforum.

I'm really nervous, anxious and glad for writing here, I never thought that I could do something related to the FE-Community and always lurked around.

Here I start my gallery of art related to GBAFE.

I started with map design, and I share my very first map with you.

Ch1PNG.png

Time spend: Three hours non-stop.

Ideas about this map: It's a map for Prologue, Introducing about three or four characters (Included a Thief). I want to improve it so I can use it into a hack I'm still writing.

I want to ask your opinions and critiques, be cause I think it's important to have a very well developed enviroment for a great experience.

I also forgot a important detail, have patience with me, please. Why? Be cause I'm from Latin América, and I'm trying to improve a lot with English, but think it isn't enough u_u.

Okay, I will update with some more when I have some new ideas.

Thanks a lot for reading, and more if you leave a reply =D.

Edited by G.Nic

Hello! Of course I rememember you KoT.

*facepalm* I truly sorry about thst mistake (I always save everything in PNG), I'm not in my laptop right now, will edit asap.

Thank you!

That's pretty good for a first map.

Your shadows are incorrect around the columns, and one tile on the left wall is just a half shadow instead of a full one.

The lower right plain and the upper right corridor have minor tile spam.

The lower left looks odd because you have a wall on the left side while you have columns making up the right wall. The left indicates the stairs are flat, the right indicates they go straight up.The column vs wall to the right and left of the throne create the same effect. I'm curious as to what you plan to do with that lower left corner, as it seems out of the way.

Keep up the good work, and ask if you need clarification. (Maybe it'll get me to be less lazy an circle the things I'm talking about)

I understood the entire critique, so you were really clear Deranger, thanks.

I will explain what is the objective of this map: The main objective is to reach the throne, after reaching, was planning to not ending the chapter there, but to trigger an event and spawn a surprise attack with the REAL boss, kinda impossible right now with my hacking knowledge. If i don't make it, then I will think about another theme for the chapter.

I will try to make it better with the shading ( and about the spam, I'm sorry but wanted to finish the map and then take a break).

Edited by G.Nic

Jb0i.png

okie dokie

red: shading error

blue: missing shading

orange: height error

a height error is basically where you go up or down a flight of stairs but your walls don't emulate this

like originally you have a wall that's 3 tiles high, you go up or down a flight of stairs, but the wall remains 3 tiles high, which isn't possible unless the wall too went up a story.

Jb85.png

this should sum up basically what I mean without being confusing

i hope

left is correct, right is incorrect

some people/GBAFE shade(s) underneath stairs, i don't because it makes no sense to me to do that

Edited by Kitty of Time

Thanks KoT.

I will work tomorrow in fixing most of the mistakes, and maybe include some chests.

I realize that the screens with my mistakes and the explanations are really helpful.

I have a doubt about the green tiles around the throne carpet, I couldn't figure how to work well with them.

Tomorrow afternoon or late night will post V2.

Good Night!

I will explain what is the objective of this map: The main objective is to reach the throne, after reaching, was planning to not ending the chapter there, but to trigger an event and spawn a surprise attack with the REAL boss, kinda impossible right now with my hacking knowledge. If i don't make it, then I will think about another theme for the chapter.

I like the idea. I don't think that's too difficult to do if you're event hacking, so you should be fine. Good luck

Here I am, updating!.

@April: Thanks for the carpet tiles, I didn't notice it until i saw your reply.

@Deranger: Then I'm more excited to starting to hack =D, so I can complete this prologue.

Okay, here is V2:

Ch1V2scrn.jpg

Decided to took of the strange bottom-left corridor and make some chests (there should be a reward for an ambush xDDDD).

I fixed some of the tiles mistakes, but maybe I'm missing some, so I expect some more correction.

I'm still planning the second map, looking for some interesting idea =P.

looks j-pegged again Nico lol

but from what I'm seeing the shading is a lot better, chests are usually shaded on the bottom and right also

also I'd change the fat blocks of wall into skinnier ones, the fat ones look a bit odd

Edited by Kitty of Time

The pillar in the bottom-left is also with strange shading, as it makes it look like one tile beneath the border of the map, the player can simply walk about the wall. The height matches, so I guess it's possible, but I'm guessing it's not intentional either... though the height of the pillar is about five-steps tall, while the actual walls are only three :o A wonky perspective issue.

@KoT: I'm having a reeeeally strange issue with JPEGS! -_-. Changing right now the chests shade and the walls.

@Celice: I'm really sorry about my terrible mistake of the pillar, I will change it to castle walls.

I will say to everyone that replied already that It's a pleasure to read, never imagined that I could count with your critiques...

Okay, I will go to work then!.

I will update with V3 soon!.

Don't upload BMPs to Photobucket, it converts them to JPGs automatically to skimp on bandwidth.

Looking pretty good for your first map, but the left end of the wall at the top has a shadow on it where it shouldn't, as there's nothing there to cast said shadow.