Looking to buy a gaming laptop: advice?

Constable Reggie

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but whatever.

So for college I'm planning on getting a gaming laptop. Currently I'm set on buying the Lenovo Ideapad y580 (can't decide if I need higher res and blu ray yet), but I'm open to suggestion: Are there any other computers around the 1000-1200 dollar price tag that have great specs and are worth buying?

Two restrictions on this question: No HPs (personal experience -pieces of shit snap in half after like a year) and no Alienware (oh god the overpriceness)

Thanks everyone, and here's the link for the Ideapad I'm currently going to get

http://shop.lenovo.c...C7A&action=init

edit: (Does anyone know what the tag is for links? I've got no clue)

Edited by Davinatorman

I know you intentionally asked specifically about gaming laptops, but I feel like this question should be obligatory, just to be sure: are you sure you'd be best served by getting a gaming laptop instead of getting a desktop and recycling an old laptop or netbook just for word processing in class or at the library?

If you're absolutely positive your answer is yes, and if you want the y580 for playing games, I'd caution against settling for the default 1366x768 screen. 768 is very shallow, even for word processing and Internet browsing, but especially for games if you're willing to spend around / over $1000 for a machine. What games do you want to play? The Ivy Bridge i7 and 660M should play any modern PC game or emulator reasonably well, but I don't know what your standards for "reasonably well" are.

I suppose you could look at what Asus offers.

I can't offer any informed suggestions though; I don't follow laptops at all so I'll stop here.

Edited by Wist

On the flip-side, I haven't really been impressed by large resolutions while gaming. I'd rather take the equally-pleasing smaller resolutions with big performance boost :/

(also yeah: laptop computing, desktop gaming)

I'd caution against settling for the default 1366x768 screen. 768 is very shallow, even for word processing and Internet browsing, but especially for games if you're willing to spend around / over $1000 for a machine. What games do you want to play? The Ivy Bridge i7 and 660M should play any modern PC game or emulator reasonably well, but I don't know what your standards for "reasonably well" are.

I'd be surprised if the 660M gets decent framerates on a higher resolution than that without butchering the image quality by reducing settings. I also find it silly you'd even suggest you can get more than that for $1000.

I'd be surprised if the 660M gets decent framerates on a higher resolution than that without butchering the image quality by reducing settings. I also find it silly you'd even suggest you can get more than that for $1000.

The display size is 15.6". 1366x768 at 15.6" is awful unless one has poor eyesight. If his only concern is playing every game on the market at their highest graphics settings while maintaining a consistent 60+ framerate, regardless of how they actually look on the screen, then yes, the cheap 1366x768 screen with abominable contrast would be the better bet. Games will look better at below native resolution on a 1920x1080 than at native resolution on a giant 1366x768.

Except the Ivy i7 and 660M will play most games at 1920x1080 on ultra settings at 30fps anyways. He'd have to play Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 on medium, but if most of his time spent on games goes into Battlefield 3 or Diablo III or Skyrim, for example, there is absolutely no reason to consider the 1366x768 screen (he'd have to play Skyrim on high if he wants it to play perfectly smoothly, but that does nothing to "butcher" the image quality). If he wants to be able to play everything that comes over the next four years at maximum settings or playing everything that's out right now at a solid 60fps he should be deciding against getting a laptop, not against getting a good screen.

If he's willing to put over $1000 into a gaming laptop, it's worth the extra money to get the denser display; it makes no sense to get such a terrible screen when anything released before 2011 and most anything on the market today will run well at the higher resolution with a little extra heat being the only drawback. He also said he's getting the laptop for college, so presumably he'll be relying on it for work. Of course he could make do... but opting for a 1366x768 screen over a 1920x1080 one for schoolwork would be an exercise in asininity given the options he's considering.

Though in the end of the day he should obviously get what he thinks he'll be happiest with.

Edited by Wist

I know you intentionally asked specifically about gaming laptops, but I feel like this question should be obligatory, just to be sure: are you sure you'd be best served by getting a gaming laptop instead of getting a desktop and recycling an old laptop or netbook just for word processing in class or at the library?

If you're absolutely positive your answer is yes, and if you want the y580 for playing games, I'd caution against settling for the default 1366x768 screen. 768 is very shallow, even for word processing and Internet browsing, but especially for games if you're willing to spend around / over $1000 for a machine. What games do you want to play? The Ivy Bridge i7 and 660M should play any modern PC game or emulator reasonably well, but I don't know what your standards for "reasonably well" are.

I suppose you could look at what Asus offers.

I can't offer any informed suggestions though; I don't follow laptops at all so I'll stop here.

On the flip-side, I haven't really been impressed by large resolutions while gaming. I'd rather take the equally-pleasing smaller resolutions with big performance boost :/

(also yeah: laptop computing, desktop gaming)

I think I've brought this up before when others have queried about gaming-quality laptops, but the rather large (potential) downside to going with the portable laptop + big-rig desktop setup is travel; some people attend college a long distance away from home and might not have a quality machine at home (or might only have a shared, family machine at home). That said, if they want to plop down and game on a break period (where they'd go back home for instance), they'd have to go through the annoying process of lugging their tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and cables with them home and then back to their dorm/apartment afterwards. Having only one device (a semi-portable one too, even if it's a desktop replacement laptop) makes that a significantly easier process.

Of course, that being said, the combo strategy would most likely be cheaper by a couple hundred bucks, depending on what you put into the desktop.

(Also, I have the G73jh and, I don't know if I just got a lemon or not, but the touchpad SUCKS, the keys often don't pick up my keystrokes (or I type too fast for it to register), and ASUS doesn't really like supporting driver updates on it (especially graphics card ones). So, ASUS might not be the best option.)

The display size is 15.6". 1366x768 at 15.6" is awful unless one has poor eyesight. If his only concern is playing every game on the market at their highest graphics settings while maintaining a consistent 60+ framerate, regardless of how they actually look on the screen, then yes, the cheap 1366x768 screen with abominable contrast would be the better bet. Games will look better at below native resolution on a 1920x1080 than at native resolution on a giant 1366x768.

Except the Ivy i7 and 660M will play most games at 1920x1080 on ultra settings at 30fps anyways. He'd have to play Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 on medium, but if most of his time spent on games goes into Battlefield 3 or Diablo III or Skyrim, for example, there is absolutely no reason to consider the 1366x768 screen (he'd have to play Skyrim on high if he wants it to play perfectly smoothly, but that does nothing to "butcher" the image quality). If he wants to be able to play everything that comes over the next four years at maximum settings or playing everything that's out right now at a solid 60fps he should be deciding against getting a laptop, not against getting a good screen.

If he's willing to put over $1000 into a gaming laptop, it's worth the extra money to get the denser display; it makes no sense to get such a terrible screen when anything released before 2011 and most anything on the market today will run well at the higher resolution with a little extra heat being the only drawback. He also said he's getting the laptop for college, so presumably he'll be relying on it for work. Of course he could make do... but opting for a 1366x768 screen over a 1920x1080 one for schoolwork would be an exercise in asininity given the options he's considering.

Though in the end of the day he should obviously get what he thinks he'll be happiest with.

I'm personally a fan of having as large of a display area as possible; at first, when you shift from something like 1280x1024 to 1920x1200, everything seems so small, but after you use it for a while, if you try and go back to the 1280x1024 monitor, you'll find yourself cursing how small it is.

That being said, the smallest I'd suggest going on really *any* laptop monitor would be 1600x900 or 1680x1050, unless it's an older laptop that you *really* only use for notes/e-mail/other very basic stuff. If you're going for a Power User or Gaming setup, I'd try to get the largest display resolution that you can get while keeping the screen width in mind. If you want a desktop replacement laptop and aren't going to carry it to class, you're free to go up to 17" screens, which generally offer a choice of higher resolutions (though, watch out, they tend to be a pain to carry around even for travel back home!). 15.6" or even 16.1" are much better at being carried around.

@OP - You might want to check out Tiger Direct, as I got an e-mail overnight that they're having a Laptop Week over there. You might be able to find something that you're after and get a discount on it, too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll give a bit more info on exactly what I need it for.

Regarding the screen resolution debate, I was planning on getting the 1920x1080 res. one with bluray for 1,050$. I figured two hundred more dollars for a better screen and a blu-ray player is decent enough. Blu-ray isn't necessary, but it's a great bonus, especially since I've never owned one to this point.

And yeah, I know gaming PC's could have more capabilities and all that junk, but the main reason I want a laptop is as Glenn mentioned, portability. I just find the convienence great to have, and I'm willing to pay more for it.

As for gaming, I much prefer performance over graphics detail. The laptop I'm using right now (Toshiba Satellite P755) can play the lower end games on Steam on lowest settings decent enough, but the second I run up Saints Row 3 or Red Faction Armageddon (even on lowest setings) I get shit like 5-20 fps. I figured I might as well go all out if I'm going to get a new laptop for college.

Soldier Black, I looked at that laptop and most of the specs seem the same as the y580, and it's a bit on the higher end of my price deadline, so what should I consider about that laptop?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

(Also, I have the G73jh and, I don't know if I just got a lemon or not, but the touchpad SUCKS, the keys often don't pick up my keystrokes (or I type too fast for it to register), and ASUS doesn't really like supporting driver updates on it (especially graphics card ones). So, ASUS might not be the best option.)

That's a good point. Coincidentally, I remember investigating the G73Jh two years ago, and complaints about ASUS touchpads and keyboards in particular ran rife in reviews. I dismissed and forgot about it because I was only considering it as a portable desktop and would have used a mouse and external keyboard regardless, but obviously that's probably not ideal.

I hope the OP doesn't mind but i'm need of a laptop and i want some suggestions.

I'm told the budget is 800 dollars. The things i'll be using it for is university work and emulating games. I want games from PS1 to run smoothly but if I can't get it for the price range that's fine. I would ask for a laptop that could play current games but i'm not quite sure i could get one under 800 dollars (Canadian BTW)

Edit 1: keep in mind i'm a total noob at computers

Edited by SlayerX

I'm bad at computer and my word shouldn't be taken for granted, but I've had a laptop for about the same budget for like 4 years that could run what were basically current games for the time and emulate N64 stuff easy, and I didn't even shop smart. I'd be surprised if PSX emulation on that budget ended up being a sweat, whatever you get.

oh derp yeah Murrikan money, not sure if that'll lower the ceiling on you much but I'd still be surprised if emulation will be tough for that money

Edited by Rehab

I hope the OP doesn't mind but i'm need of a laptop and i want some suggestions.

I'm told the budget is 800 dollars. The things i'll be using it for is university work and emulating games. I want games from PS1 to run smoothly but if I can't get it for the price range that's fine. I would ask for a laptop that could play current games but i'm not quite sure i could get one under 800 dollars (Canadian BTW)

Edit 1: keep in mind i'm a total noob at computers

You do not need $800 to do uni work and play PS1 games, good sir! You need about $440.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230265

That's my laptop, except I own the older model. I've been able to get Ape Escape to work because my other ROMs are in .ECM and I haven't found the time to learn how to run them yet, but Ape Escape runs great!

You do not need $800 to do uni work and play PS1 games, good sir! You need about $440.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230265

That's my laptop, except I own the older model. I've been able to get Ape Escape to work because my other ROMs are in .ECM and I haven't found the time to learn how to run them yet, but Ape Escape runs great!

I might go for that one, but first, is wii emulating good in a laptop? I seriously miss playing Radiant dawn.

I might go for that one, but first, is wii emulating good in a laptop? I seriously miss playing Radiant dawn.

Not on that model. No dedicated graphics card, and a single-core? Not happening :/

You'd have to get a pretty exotic laptop if you wanted nice Wii emulation. You may as well buy the Wii, Radiant Dawn, and a bunch of other stuff for the same price. Maybe two or three month's of rent too.

Not on that model. No dedicated graphics card, and a single-core? Not happening :/

You'd have to get a pretty exotic laptop if you wanted nice Wii emulation. You may as well buy the Wii, Radiant Dawn, and a bunch of other stuff for the same price. Maybe two or three month's of rent too.

Alright i think i'll settle for PSX emulation.

I have a dual-core and I got it for $384. Odd that one's a single-core. Other than that, same specs.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

After some advice from my brother, i found this laptop...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/gateway-gateway-17-3-amd-quad-core-a6-3420m-laptop-nv75s07h-black-nv75s07h/10191424.aspx?path=d75a46496f35df8dbadaa14708c8da36en02

I got this one.

It runs PSX pretty darn smoothly. Haven't had any issues with it other than the fact the keyboard is horrible to play Megaman legends 2... The camera would be so much easier to use using a controller. Going to test Dragon Age II now... It works pretty well on both Very High and High. However on Very high noticeable slowdowns (short however) are frequent. On high they occur as well but its not very common and it doesn't affect gameplay.

Edited by SlayerX

• 5 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bring this back up since my laptop arrived and I"ve been playing around with it. Simply put, it runs everything I"ve thrown at it so far perfectly. Kane and Lynch 2, Red Faction Armaggeddon, Saints Row 2/3, Bioshock 1/2, Deus Ex HR and some more all had at least 70-80 fps at the highest settings, which is friggin amazing. Blu Ray is a plus and Lenovo's keyboards are also great. In fact, most of the specs for this laptop tie/beat my friend's Alienware (which he got for around 1600). I'm very impressed for a thousand bucks.

Just a note, I've read really bad reviews about the Lenovo site, so I ordered from Newegg instead for a bit more. Probably worth it, imo.