Class Roll Removal

Crimson Red

Does anyone already know how to get rid of the class roll or maybe want to help poor old Blazer on getting rid of it? Essentially, I just don't want it to show-up as one of the options when you're sitting on the title screen (i.e. the only option will be the intro). I've never seen anything like this so excuse me if it's already been done.

I figure it'd be a relatively easy ASM hack (something like if 0 go to class roll, anything else go to intro, or vice-versa, idk). I think the class roll is set off after a specific time as well, though I'm not sure how long that time is. At one point I thought it was actually based on how long the Fire Emblem theme intro is, but idk...

Yeaaaah I really need to get rid of the class roll due to various... "things" that kind of screw it up, so I'd reaaaaaally appreciate any help I could get from any of you awesome ASM-hackers. Thanks~

I was actually able to get rid of the class roll when I accidentally copied in too many palettes at 0x41E2D8 which is the stat screen palette. I think just beyond that indexed palette is class roll related stuff. When I overwrote some of it it caused the game to reset when it would normally begin the roll.

When I overwrote some of it it caused the game to reset when it would normally begin the roll.

more likely than not this would cause the game to crash on non-VBA emulators, rather than reset; from experience, it'd do something like freeze a flashcart or emulator on say, a PSP or something. Thus I don't think that's much of an option, but thanks anyhow XP

Another would be to use Nintenlord's "Restore the Rekka no Ken title screen" graphics patch. Has the side effect of killing the class reel.

Just like how it did for DoF.

What happens instead of the class reel/roll/whatever? Does it go to the intro? Reset? :\

That sounds legit. And as for not having the graphics, I can just remove them, right? Actually, I already removed them... XP

Nintenlord's "Restore the Rekka no Ken title screen" graphics patch.

So where can I find this interesting patch? XP

Thanks everyone, this will save me a bunch of time. I appreciate the help. ^_^

Forget the palettes, I have the battle background hack amongst other stuff that's preventing me from making a nice class roll... >_>

...The patch makes my ROM reset before even getting to the titlescreen

dammit guys I thought you knew what you were talking about [/fakerage]

time to debug I guess

EDIT: Okay, first of all this patch inserts data at 0xDF00B0... which interferes with NL's own patch I think, either the character forcer or banner hack.

Okay it's the banner hack. Mine *might* have been repointed but I don't think it is, so eh. Well, even then, that shouldn't affect the game until I get to the battle preps, hypothetically, so that can't be the problem... I think.

(got busy and stopped working on this at some point)

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

...The patch makes my ROM reset before even getting to the titlescreen

dammit guys I thought you knew what you were talking about [/fakerage]

time to debug I guess

Someone has their graphics table function call screwed up.

Kind of like what happened to DoF when someone uses an item for promotion in the prep screen way back when.

Good luck then.

Someone has their graphics table function call screwed up.

Kind of like what happened to DoF when someone uses an item for promotion in the prep screen way back when.

Good luck then.

It still somehow returns to be screwed up so I have to go back and change it again. ;/

That byte isn't screwed up for me

and I don't know which is

I honestly think it's something in the patch itself but I couldn't figure out what

so now I have to make like a 10 hour work around or something -_-

My patches don't intervene with each other without outside influence. By default, character banner uses 0xB0 bytes at offset 0xDF0000, the Restore the Rekka no Ken title screen uses 32 bytes at offset 0xDF00B0 and character forcer uses 0xB0 bytes at 0xDF1000.

I see

That explains two things

One, my confusion: it's not like you to make things interfere like that so I was kinda confused

Two: why the character banner doesn't work on some chapters. It only uses 0xB0 bytes. DUH. Then of course it won't recognize any chapters after 0xB0 / 0x04 = 0x2C... though really I think the prologue is 0x00 and that's pointer 0x01 so really it'd only do up to chapter 0x2B, right? :\

Well regardless I fixed the problem by spending like 8 hours figuring out how the hell the class roll works and then essentially reworking the entire system but that's okay I guess, it's not like I can get my time back

More importantly, I need those two patches to read more than just 0xB0 bytes for the other 0x40 - 0x2B = 21 chapters or so ._.

Is this something you can possibly do or do you not condone such action and thus I have to figure out how to do it on my own o_O

Yeah I actually looked at the source yesterday and noticed it was the 0x2B so I was going to recompile it but since it's just editing one parameter I can just use a hex editor (I would have done it last night except it was already morning >_>')

character forcer uses 0xB0 bytes at 0xDF1000.

so if it doesn't do any testing it should work

and actually I *think* it might have though I need to test a little bit more thoroughly

Well, thanks for the help, NL!

EDIT: typo

Edited by Strawhat Luffy