Why are pre-patched ROM's so hard to find?

Roosterofdoom

Should this go in ROM hacking? I don't know. This has just been bothering me. Maybe someone who knows about this stuff can explain it. I've only ever found one pre-patched game, and it was FE6. I can never really patch rom's quite right, so this really hurts me. :(

Note: I know how to patch rom's, (The steps, at least. I'm not looking for help.) I just always get some wires crossed and it never works out.

ROM's are illegal to post on the internet and Patches are the standard bypass so people can release their hack (or translation patch) without worry. This is probably why you rarely find Pre-patched ROM's.

And supposedly, the content the patch contains is data you created yourself. So that's your... I guess intellectual property?

I guess that's your "loophole".

You're not supposed to distribute content owned by companies. That's illegal and is called "piracy".

But even so, if it's hurting them, they can and will put a stop to you. Even if you created the content yourself, if it's still their intellectual property in any way, I think they can still shove a "cease-and-desist" order in your face.