Guild Wars 2

nflchamp

So I own Guild Wars 2. Or rather, I've owned Guild Wars 2 for months and it's finally out so I can play it now (technically 3 days ago, but whatever). I'm having fun with my Norn Guardian. I think I've settled on Greatsword for now.

Anyone else playing?

I will be eventually. But my computer cannot currently run it(so I didn't bother with pre-order).

But I WILL play it...sometime in the future.

Because i absolutely must play Sylvari and mess around with their character creation.

I will be eventually. But my computer cannot currently run it(so I didn't bother with pre-order).

But I WILL play it...sometime in the future.

Because i absolutely must play Sylvari and mess around with their character creation.

That's understandable, really. Playing around with the character creation in general is understandable.

Vague question time: how is it? I did enjoy good old GW back in the day, mostly because I could solo everything I wanted (HENCHIES HOOAH), but I heard that's not really a thing anymore.

It's fun. You'll get various reports of whether the system encourages or discourages playing together. On the one hand, you can pretty much solo whatever you want in PvE even though henchmen no longer exist. So you never need to party. In particular, your personal story should never require extra help (though extra help will always make it easier). On the other hand, Dynamic Events (DEs), which are essentially quests that start whether you're ready or not, encourage everyone in an area to work together whether or not they're in a party. Some DEs end up with a fight against a giant boss (scaled to the number of players around!). Epic battle ensues, which is generally pretty fun. DEs are a large part of getting money and XP outside of your personal story.

Exploring the map is also fun and will net you money and XP. I personally like the underwater passages.

What about single-character customization? As I recall, I spent years (literally, and not the figurative kind of literal) just amassing skills on my one Warrior in GW1 and never felt like I even needed any alts. Do the limited builds still carry the same (or similar) weight that they did in GW1?

Also did they go through with that thing I heard from early alpha theories that you can just keep leveling past the level cap for no reason other than to raise your level counter?

What about single-character customization? As I recall, I spent years (literally, and not the figurative kind of literal) just amassing skills on my one Warrior in GW1 and never felt like I even needed any alts. Do the limited builds still carry the same (or similar) weight that they did in GW1?

Also did they go through with that thing I heard from early alpha theories that you can just keep leveling past the level cap for no reason other than to raise your level counter?

I don't know? I guess the problem for me here is I kinda sucked at GW1 and probably won't be better in GW2. I can tell you that skills fall into three categories: weapon, healing, and utility. Every weapon type has it's own skills for every class (or every class that can use the weapon type). Healing skills are for healing - every class has one, so there's no dedicated healer class. Utility skills are every other skill of your class (and race) that you buy with skill points. From your character screen too, so you don't need to hunt them down. You start getting skill points at level 5, I think, and can also completed challenges throughout the map for more.

I'm sure some builds will be seen as better than others, but that's probably only going to be really important in PvP and dungeons (which I haven't gotten to yet).

Finally, level cap is 80. I have no clue what you're talking about, so I'd assume the answer is no.