Impact Chapter 2

ReformBlade

The night proceeded quietly for Janson, silently and stoically keeping watch over the small encampment, if it could be called that. It just happened to be the place where everyone chose to sleep, it wasn't fortified, nor was it particularly advantageous, but it did offer a modicum of reprieve for the wanderers. As was mentioned, very little happened, and Janson couldn't have been more happy of that fact for the moment as the morning light seemed to approach. As he predicted, the blue haired youth didn't feel an ounce of tiredness in his body, not even bothering to really stop moving. On the upside, he was getting plenty of exercise, something he always felt he should have gotten a jump on but never had the drive or the time to do so. He never considered himself unhealthy, but he never exactly felt fit either. It seemed to be early enough that he didn't need to wake anyone up really, only noting that Wyuna seemed to be up and looking over supplies again. "What, couldn't sleep?" He asked.

"Nah, I slept, I just happened to wake up. Never been a very heavy sleeper anyway. Anyway, I'm just looking over our supplies while I've got the chance. We've got some good stuff here, especially given our circumstances. You guys did pretty damn good... Thanks."

"Heh..." A blush crept over him as he looked everywhere but in her direction, embarrassed like a little kid again. "It was nothing, really. I just wanna, you know, live. I figured I'd try my hardest"

"Well good. I'm glad you're doing just that, we need all we can get. Manpower, resources, knowledge... It's all good. We can't just leave one out for one of the others. Teamwork basically." Wyuna smiled to herself, a quick glance at Janson and she saw the blush, smiling a little more. "You know, you can just take a compliment like it's not a big deal, haha."

"Growing up as I did, I... don't think I ever had the luxury of taking things for granted like that. Mom never gave a shit, Dad was always busy doting over Mom to pay attention, and God help me if I ever got between him and Mom like that. It was a very... very negative household. If either of them were unhappy, I was their, how should I put it... punching bag? Not literally of course, just verbally... I basically got so frickin fed up with those two that I ran away from home. The kicker? They didn't care. In fact, I get the feeling they were HAPPY that I got out of their life! But it's all behind me... If they wanna live like that, I'm glad I got away when I could. No use trying to figure out how to fix them if they don't want to be fixed, right?"

"Hm... I suppose. But you never tried calling on a friend for help? Some sort of child services thing?" Genuine concern shone on her face as she asked him. It was a bit of a sad story to her, though she felt she could relate on some level.

"I... Always thought they wouldn't care as well, not to mention that I never really had true friends. Yeah, I suppose it's rough, but... I lived. Barely. Look at it this way, I never knew any better. It was always beat into my head one way or another that I was a problem that needed fixxing, so I figured why should I try and bring others down to my level?" He spoke not in a bitter tone but in a matter of fact manner.

Wyuna stared in silence, pondering what to say to that before looking back at the supplies and letting out a small bit of laughter. "And you honestly believed that? Well... I can't blame you. Like you said, you didn't know any better. Still though... Were you ever happy?" Turning back to him, she wished to clarify. "I'm not saying you can only be happy with friends and parents who love you, but... was there anything you really looked at and said 'Yeah, I'm ok with this'?"

"Um... School for the most part. I was never really bright nor was I an idiot, but I loved the atmosphere at school. Kids hanging out... Talking about the most random things and treating them as an important event... I listened in, imagined if I were in their shoes sometimes as I sat alone. I was rarely bothered, and honestly I think that's why I liked it. Of course, I ended up burning a chemistry lab due to an accident..." Janson sighed, almost laughing. "I can't remember exactly what went down right now on the spot... It's kind of a bad memory for me..."

"Oh, no don't worry. I understand that, and I'm actually proud of you for sticking with schoo. I've met too many dropouts that honestly thought dropping out was their bright and shining moment. It made me sick, to be honest, but... Yeah, just, I'm glad that you didn't do that. Kids never listen when I'd tell em that staying in school was the smartest thing they could do, heehee." She found the conversation rather pleasant, despite sounding like a man at the moment.

"Well... thanks." Smiling at her, he couldn't hold his gaze very long before turning and walking away abruptly, making Wyuna shake her head and smile. Janson decided to go make another circle around the camp, just to be on the safe side. That city... Can I convince everyone to go, just to sate my curiosity? Can I allow that kind of selfishness at this juncture?

Alan had finished his work on the siblings, it had been a while since he'd done something like it. However, he was happy with the results, neither of them was going to bleed to death and there wouldn't be too much permanent damage. He reminded Kaden to take it easy before they all went to sleep, that included any sort of fighting.

Janson may have been on the move but Alan was still lying down, he needed to give his back a little time to loosen up before he started doing stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The conversation with Selena didn't last that much longer. After wishing her goodnight, Caliban and Richard found comfortable spots next to the fire. Richard was still worn out from the previous day, but Caliban didn't feel like sitting around. Much to his surprise, Janson was up and about.

"Yo, Janson, you're up early. Haha, I've always been a morning person myself. Do you know what the plans are for today?"

Dustin

His conversation with Wyuna didn't last that long, but it didn't bother him, since it was starting to get dark. Might as well pack it in, try to sleep as best as I can. He found his tree from earlier, and laid himself against it, trying to get as comfortable as he could. What he didn't notice was that his notebook was missing...

----------

He didn't get to sleep long, disturbed by both talking among the camp, and something poking him in his arm. He stretched and yawned, looking around the camp. Most everyone was still asleep. It looked like Janson, Wyuna, and Caliban were awake. Wait a sec... wasn't something poking me? He blinked, and looked down at his arm. "What the...?" There was a small paper... thing. It looked like one of the characters he'd written about, sword and all, but it was so, "... tiny. Hey, Wyuna, can you..." He called over at her, unable to finish his sentence as he was fascinated by the little paper creature. He picked it up into his hand, and it just stood there, seemingly looking around. "Where the heck did you come from, and how are you... this?"

Amera

This girl's stronger than I ever gave her credit. She'll be fine. Amera gave Firmia a light pat on the back, smiling at her. "I'm glad you had someone as great as this Nielson to help you after the crash. And you're pretty strong yourself. We'd better get some sleep, though, it's getting pretty late. I'll talk to you in the morning, alright?" She stood and stretched herself, before jumping back into her tree, sprawling out as comfortably as she could. Tomorrow we'll head off to that city, and we'll explore, and it'll be just... great.

----------

Morning came and she was still asleep, still in the tree, not falling out of it this time.

"Plans for today? I'm not sure, but I'd like to suggest we all go check out something I saw in the distance. It's a bit of a ways off, but... Well, I think I saw some buildings." Janson spoke in a tone that seemed to not truly convey his eagerness to go there, a calm about him as he decided to display the negatives of the choice first. "I mean, it definitely looked old... As far as I could tell anyway, it's gotta be a native building here, although... we could easily be walking into danger if we all go..." With each suggestion of going he put forth, he seemed to counter it with his own doubt. "Well, what's your take on this? Is it a dumb idea or is there something to it...?" Never really having a chance to talk to the man before him, Janson decided he'd try and have a chat anyway. No use alienating a person.

Dustin seemed to have called out to Wyuna, forcing the woman to turn her head and respond. "Yes...?" Looking at the man, she only noticed the little thing in his hand when it seemed to be moving, startling her at first, "The hell? Dustin, are you alright? A-And dammit what is that thing?" A whee bit flustered at this anomaly, Wyuna scrambled over to him and his... object, keeping a very close eye on it, trying to get a clearer grasp on it. "Dustin...?"

Kaden and Charlotte

He lay near his sister (haha that sounds so wrong oh god), closing his eyes. He was still troubled - Charlotte had been out for a long time, and hopefully she wouldn't be too freaked out.

---

She finally regained consciousness in the middle of the night, shivering and frightened. The girl hastily woke her brother up, so she could hug him and bury her face in his chest.

She stayed that way for the rest of the night.

---

Kaden woke early, finding his sister still sleeping in his arms. He gently wiped the tears from her face, continuing to lie down, relieved to finally have his sister safe with him.

"Plans for today? I'm not sure, but I'd like to suggest we all go check out something I saw in the distance. It's a bit of a ways off, but... Well, I think I saw some buildings."

More exploration, who knew what or who they could find. Sure there were those monster men, Caliban had seen them first-hand, and what they were capable of. Quite a few people had been injured, so there would be people staying behind.

"It'd be good to see what we could find. We've got a few people hurt though, I'm not sure who will actually be able to come along. Wanna go grab something to eat? I'm guessing we'll go after breakfast or something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alan's back had finally allowed him to get up. If only he'd been ten years younger, then he'd be running circles around all the youngsters. He checked on Kaden and Charlotte breifly. Both of them had moved in the night, if Kaden had noticed, it would have probably been a relief for him.

There had been no signs of anything during the night, no noise had woken him up. It was probably time that they faced the facts - nobody was coming to rescue them. Was it a worldwide disaster? If so, they'd have to seriously think about their options, which bothered Alan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard - sleepy time.

Dustin

"I don't... know..." He started smiling, watching the little creature walk around on his hand, pausing to seemingly glance at Wyuna, and then back at Dustin. "It looks just like one of the characters I've been writing, but... this is impossible. Wait!" He looked around where he was sitting, shooting his eyes around the camp. "My notebook isn't here. Maybe..." Setting the small paper person down, he looked behind the tree, a few crumpled piles of paper leading off to a small bush. How did it get all the way over there? How is all of this even happening? A quick glance inside the bush, and sure enough, his notebook was there, open, with pages missing. He snatched it and brought it back, not noticing the other paper creature that was following after him. "I'm... I'm really not sure what happened, but it seems the pages of my notebook have torn themselves out and folded into what I was writing about... but why didn't that happen earlier? I wrote in here with a pen on the first day but," he rifled through the pages, "these are still here. This is a bit nuts..." The second one, a small paper woman, walked over and sat next to him. The first one took a seat near her, both staring up at Dustin.

Amera

People were starting to talk and move about, her sleep a tad disturbed. She stretched and sat up on the branches, looking around the camp. "What to do today? I wonder..." Hopping down from said branch, she looked about for people to talk to, spotting Janson and Caliban heading off for a bit of a walk. "Might as well!" and so she trailed after them.

"Food... I'm starving, but I'll hold off a little longer. If you wanna, go ahead, I'm just not really in the mood." That was his story and he was sticking to it. The gurgling in his stomach gave him away though, a fact he was none too happy about. "Anyway, I'm just gonna take a quick hike around the place again." Waving and deciding to go his own way, Janson headed off towards the stream again, wanting to be on his own for a little while longer. He had spent some of the night by it, trying to let the sound lull him to sleep to no avail. It was still vastly more comfortable for him than anywhere else so far, and so he wanted to spend some more time near it.

As he ventured forth, Janson found himself on the same hill, looking at the same buildings off in the distance. Over time, the sight bored him as he wished to actually be there instead of simply looking at it from afar, and especially at such a bad angle. Feeling down, Janson ultimately tried to force it away as he walked back to the 'camp', unaware of his surroundings...

Wyuna on the other hand, she seemed to be just as dumbfounded as Dustin was at the whole paper situation. "They're... they're looking at you, dustin... Are you doing this...?" The words seemed to come out just above a whisper from her lips. Curiosity got the best of her as she reached out to poke the one near her, her expression mysitifed.

------

"Sir, did you see that?"

"See what?"

"It was one of those people that we helped earlier. He was dressed weird and he wasn't covering his face or anything, and he didn't seem all that big or imposing like those damned ferals, I'd bet my rations it's another one of those crashlanders... Still find that hard to believe."

"Well regardless of believability, it's happening, and we've gotta deal with it. And if you say you saw someone, let's go find him, OK? Convince him to come with us and help us in this damn fight."

"If he's as crazy as the others we found... I don't know."

"There's an equal amount of sane people out there too, we've even got a few of em with us, especially that little one... she seems so calm with everything, but honestly that's besides the point. The real point is, we need every advantage we can get. Berith is a monster, we can't brute force him with our rapidly dwindling numbers, and no way back home. To do that we need help, I think they can help out, don't you?"

"I suppose they can... Whatever you want sir, I'll follow your lead. I've given you my thoughts, you do what you wish."

"Good. Let's go find this skyling then. Soldiers, let's move!" turning back to the first one talking, "Where'd he head off to?"

"This way, I'll lead if it's fine with you?" A nod from his commander and they were all off, all six of them. Six entire beings. Oh right, a description... Well, just a moment.

------

Unbeknownst to Janson, he brought a few visitors with him that wandered into camp a little after he did. they didn't burst in, but with their size, being bigger than the average human yet still humanoid, they seemed rather imposing. Fully clothed and covered except for the mouth, these people seemed to be in some sort of military or militia. Not quite sure how to properly engage these people, the commander spoke up, "Sorry to impose, but are you folks from that city that fell down?"

Wyuna and Janson were caught by surprise, though Wyuna tried to overcome it, responding in the first man's voice. "Who are you people?" She tried talkign calmly, and for the most part she did fine but the voice crack gave her away.

"Relax, we're natives here, we're not here to harm you unless you decide to fight us. Also... is that your natural voice? Sorry if I'm being offensive. Anyway. In all actuality, we're here for the exact opposite reason, we're here to offer you all help in a hopeful exchange for your help."

Janson was still at a loss for words, and Wyuna was extremely skeptical...

"Anyway, I'm just gonna take a quick hike around the place again."

Caliban watched as Janson set off, it sounded like he'd eat a little later. It was still early, Caliban decided he'd see who was up - part of him felt rude eating alone.

--------------------------------------------------

Not that much later, Alan noticed Janson return from somewhere. He'd probably been looking for something. However, he wasn't alone. Behind him were what seemed to be soldiers. Wyuna and Janson had already engaged them, but the old man's curiosity meant he couldn't stay away. Making his way over, he arrived mid-conversation.

"Anyway. In all actuality, we're here for the exact opposite reason, we're here to offer you all help in a hopeful exchange for your help."

Finding more people was always a good thing, but the way he worded it was a little strange. With the others, they had banded together. These people sounded like they wanted to keep separate.

"Hold on there. Yes, we're from the fortress... how about telling us who you are. I'm finding it to trust a group who completely cover themselves and tail other people."

He stood there waiting for an answer, Alan didn't like the sounds of this proposition.

-------------------------------------------------

Richard was still sound asleep. With the absence of an alarm clock, the odds were he'd sleep for another few hours.