[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

I noticed another bug. When I let Puledra give his Light Tome to Shiori, his magic stat was replaced by strength, and his tome/staff ranks became weapons ranks. He could still use staves.

When I tested this effect with the other mages, they also suddenly grew muscles. Their magic stat and their tome ranks returned when I gave them their tomes back.

The chapter 4 music gave me the chills. Great atmosphere!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly, there was a magic shop in Ide, but when I go back there on the world map, there's no option to enter it. You can only enter the armoury.

I noticed another bug. When I let Puledra give his Light Tome to Shiori, his magic stat was replaced by strength, and his tome/staff ranks became weapons ranks. He could still use staves.

When I tested this effect with the other mages, they also suddenly grew muscles. Their magic stat and their tome ranks returned when I gave them their tomes back.

The chapter 4 music gave me the chills. Great atmosphere!

That's not really a bug, but a side-effect of the weapon/magic ranks patch.

Basically, the patch I applied worked like this:

- If a tome is equipped, display magic ranks and Mag

- If a weapon is equipped, display weapon ranks and Str

The problem is that the game displays the weapon ranks and Str by default if nothing is equipped. Staves can't be equipped, that's why a Staff user displays Str and weapon ranks (but still, it's just a graphical bug, it doesn't affect the game in any way).

I'm sorry about that, but there's no fix. I should probably ask whoever did the patch to fix it, but I don't feel like doing so for something that little.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Oh, and thanks for that compliment on chapter 4! =)

Edit: @Haku: that has already been addressed, and it's intended.

Edit2: Well it took me a while, but I managed to get the data I needed and I tested chapter 4 properly. The problem should be fixed now.

I'm on my way to test chapters 5-6 too, then I'll release the v.1.1 of the patch.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Blazer and I have been lp'ing a couple chapters,

I'm not here to report any bugs or ask any questions about bugs, just wanna let you know that we can both see the effort you put in and we commend you hardcore on it!

BTW, one suggestion, in chapter 3, could the forest in the which the left thief (of the two ones at the beginning of the map in the southwest, using a steel sword iirc) be changed for a plain? It is a little problematic to take him out with 2 units (took me some RNG resets to get him down, neither of the two had 80+ accuracy on hit), esp when one doesn't want to use Hellios that much (given that he's already eating up a good amount of exp in any case).

That's not really a bug, but a side-effect of the weapon/magic ranks patch.

Basically, the patch I applied worked like this:

- If a tome is equipped, display magic ranks and Mag

- If a weapon is equipped, display weapon ranks and Str

The problem is that the game displays the weapon ranks and Str by default if nothing is equipped. Staves can't be equipped, that's why a Staff user displays Str and weapon ranks (but still, it's just a graphical bug, it doesn't affect the game in any way).

I'm sorry about that, but there's no fix. I should probably ask whoever did the patch to fix it, but I don't feel like doing so for something that little.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Oh, and thanks for that compliment on chapter 4! =)

Edit: @Haku: that has already been addressed, and it's intended.

Edit2: Well it took me a while, but I managed to get the data I needed and I tested chapter 4 properly. The problem should be fixed now.

I'm on my way to test chapters 5-6 too, then I'll release the v.1.1 of the patch.

Chapter 4 was beautifully done. I have never been so nervous moving on a map as when I saw the other side...

You should be really proud of how diverse and dynamic the gameplay has been. You've made a hack that exudes a lot of atmosphere, but doesn't give up on gameplay to do it.

[spoiler=Tuvarkz' Complaint]

BTW, one suggestion, in chapter 3, could the forest in the which the left thief (of the two ones at the beginning of the map in the southwest, using a steel sword iirc) be changed for a plain? It is a little problematic to take him out with 2 units (took me some RNG resets to get him down, neither of the two had 80+ accuracy on hit), esp when one doesn't want to use Hellios that much (given that he's already eating up a good amount of exp in any case).

Menmus and Cattleya can both hit him easily - Menmus with a lance, Cattleya with high skill.

Or just use Hellios and stop thinking Jeigans are bad, especially a Jeigan with Seth level growths?)

Edited by Siuloir

Blazer and I have been lp'ing a couple chapters,

I'm not here to report any bugs or ask any questions about bugs, just wanna let you know that we can both see the effort you put in and we commend you hardcore on it!

Yes, I've already seen and commented both of those! ^^ I'm waiting for the other videos, hehe!! Good job!

Chapter 4 was beautifully done. I have never been so nervous moving on a map as when I saw the other side...

You should be really proud of how diverse and dynamic the gameplay has been. You've made a hack that exudes a lot of atmosphere, but doesn't give up on gameplay to do it.

Thank you very much, this means a lot to me.

"I know that you're focused on the story, but don't neglect gameplay". Jubby told me this 2 years ago, when I first presented the project, and I took his words at heart.

The music really helped creating the atmosphere I wanted, anyway. I had lots of fun hacking the music.

!IMPORTANT!

Patch v.1.1 is up.

Fixes:

- Garion will now appear in ch.4 correctly even if you restart the chapter.

- You *should* be able to visit the houses in chapter 6 correctly.

- Fixed Known Issues.txt

DOWNLOAD (same link as before, btw)

You must patch it to a fresh FE8 ROM again. But don't worry, you can use the same saves.

Oh, 400 people downloaded this hack in the first 19 hours. (Thanks Mediafire for keeping track of the downloads!)

I'm... really happy.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Quick Question. Is Helios going to end up as crap like, lets say, Jeigan, or as a decent unit like Seth?

Do we have to repatch a FE8 ROM or can we just patch the already patched version?

Edited by Itadakimasu

Quick Question. Is Helios going to end up as crap like, lets say, Jeigan, or as a decent unit like Seth?

Do we have to repatch a FE8 ROM or can we just patch the already patched version?

Patch it to a fresh ROM. You can maintain your old saves anyway, don't worry.

Hellios will be way better than Seth or any prepromoted unit you ever got in any FE game.

I specifically designed him to be that sexy.

[spoiler=Tuvarkz' Complaint]

Menmus and Cattleya can both hit him easily - Menmus with a lance, Cattleya with high skill.

Or just use Hellios and stop thinking Jeigans are bad, especially a Jeigan with Seth level growths?)

I am not against using Jeigans, but overusing them. I already have Hellios take on a crapton of enemies (especially the monster dogs, forgot their name).

[spoiler=Chapter 8 BIG SPOILER]Also, as far as the story seems to be moving to, Hellios kind of leaves the party, so duming all exp on him is a mistake.

I just finished Alfred, and I have to say, this is one of or even the best FE ROMhack I've ever played. Congrats on all the hard work you and your team put in, because it really payed off. Lol no pressure for Shatterlight...

I just finished Alfred, and I have to say, this is one of or even the best FE ROMhack I've ever played. Congrats on all the hard work you and your team put in, because it really payed off. Lol no pressure for Shatterlight...

*bows* I'm glad you enjoyed the hack, Haku. "One of or even the best FE ROMhack" is a very big compliment. Thank you for your appreciation.

And I'm sure Shatterlight will be great too!

Amazing job, Alfred.

I have to say that this hack is over the top!

From the videos and such I've seen: the graphics, gameplay, story, etc is all very well done and fantastic.

I will be playing this deft. This has my support to the fullest.

Keep up the great work. Let the competition begin! Lol

Oh boy, the quality of this production has been something else. The attention to detail, the really tight tuning on chapters, it's all fantastic. Not played through too much of it yet, between yesterday's exhaustion and today's business, but this is proving to be a gold standard I need to hold to with my own work in Shatterlight.

My own release feels pretty underwhelming by comparison, but that's a challenge I will look up to.

Finished the patch same day it came out. I have NO life.

I don't want to sound like a shallow fan, but I have to say, the overall hack quality is excellent.

There was a momentary glitch in chapter 3 while i was viewing enemy units, but it only happened once and was probably just a random thing.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next patch.

Chapter fricken 4...... I finally managed to make my way down, but, damn... accidentally moved into the range of those promoted Centaur watchamacallits.... Well, at any rate, I should be able to beat it in 1 more try.

Chapter fricken 4...... I finally managed to make my way down, but, damn... accidentally moved into the range of those promoted Centaur watchamacallits.... Well, at any rate, I should be able to beat it in 1 more try.

Yeah, that's why I restarted on my first attempt as well.

Fuck Chapter 5, Fuck everything in it, I can't even GET the fucking ruby, I have to savestate so many times, and you TRIED to trick me (i had visited that house before you told me too)

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: I finally Beat the damn chapter and figured out the way to get everything

Edited by B.Mage

What is the aim of chapter 4? I ask because I was wondering if I could just defend until turn 17 or whatever,or is it that I have to beat the boss? I don't want to waste time trying to defend for 17 turns only to find out I fail :/

Chapter 5 is more of a puzzle than an actual chapter, if you know what to do it's trivial. The trouble comes from knowing what to do and knowing which walls fliers can cross. It was a very trial-and-error map. (Hint: Don't grab the Ruby until you're almost done.)

The only reason I took as long as I did in CHapter 4 was because I had no idea whether the super centaurs would move. Damn GBA movement ranges not taking into account AI. I ended up rushing with Hellios and Menmus and only cleared it on the last turn.

The only reason I took as long as I did in CHapter 4 was because I had no idea whether the super centaurs would move. Damn GBA movement ranges not taking into account AI. I ended up rushing with Hellios and Menmus and only cleared it on the last turn.

So essentially, just beat the boss then?

What is the aim of chapter 4? I ask because I was wondering if I could just defend until turn 17 or whatever,or is it that I have to beat the boss? I don't want to waste time trying to defend for 17 turns only to find out I fail :/

The game tells you several times you have to get to Fa. It's even in the objective box. Shiori says it. Fa and the Demon King talk about it. I don't see how you could have missed it.

You need to "Rescue Fa" Kill the Boss and Rescue with Menmes

The game tells you several times you have to get to Fa. It's even in the objective box. Shiori says it. Fa and the Demon King talk about it. I don't see how you could have missed it.

I know that's what it says, but HOW can it be done, remember she can't move because she is surrounded by those trees that cannot be passed.

You need to "Rescue Fa" Kill the Boss and Rescue with Menmes

Thanks B.Mage.