[From hack to indie] Path of the Midnight Sun

Alfred Kamon

attachicon.gifphoto (8).JPG

thanks random monster...

...*facepalm* I never thought that could happen. Why on Earth would a monster get on that tile?

Siiigh. Fixing it asap... Thanks for reporting.

also the cursor starts here When I start chapter 8 and is stuck until I bring up the menu

You should read "Known Issues.txt" before reporting any bugs.

Garions the boss, even in my playthrough of Version 1.2

I Finished the game part for the second time, no glitches or nothing. I'll probably post the rest of my note worthy team at a later point. But as before, Bandit pride. ;)

Heres some extra service.

Holy cow, look at that Garion! I didn't expect him to be that strong. :0

I have to say, this is a pretty damn good hack in my opinion. I love how it gives you hints throughout the game so it doesn't always end up being trial and error. It is difficult if you are trying to do every objective that you can though. It might be because I'm not the greatest when it comes to strategy (stupid RNG), but the enemies seem to be a bit more powerful than they should be compared to the characters given to you. (Playing Normal Difficulty by the way.) To me, it doesn't always seem to be fair especially when I can get a poor level up a few times and make the character to be completely useless later on. (I'm looking at you Menmus and Cattleya.)

On a side note, is it possible not to use Hellios in the beginning? I've played Fire Emblem 6 through 13 and always found a way not to use the "Jeigan" character much (if at all). The only thing I do with them is remove their equipment and put them in the middle of enemies to soak up damage or to lure the enemies out and have my other characters defeat the threat. I'm just wondering because I want to do another playthrough without using him too much.

Also, I love how my name happened to be used in a Fire Emblem game and is used for a mage! I can't wait to get the promotion item for magic users! (Sage being my favorite class.)

Thank you very much!

I disagree about the difficulty: it is meant to be challenging, but it's not unfair. I always say that it is harder than Awakening's Hard mode, and even there some enemies were stronger than your units. It's just a matter of strategy and careful planning. Even if some characters got RNG screwed, you could still pick them up later thanks to the Tower of Trials / skirmishes.

About Hellios: somebody didn't even use him for the whole game... so yes, it's totally possible to not use him, even if he's so strong that most players will rely on him, hehehe.

That's good, Andre! ;)

..."promotion item for magic users"? I think I forgot to mention that in Midnight Sun there'll be an universal promotion item, the Lunar Sigil.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..."promotion item for magic users"? I think I forgot to mention that in Midnight Sun there'll be an universal promotion item, the Lunar Sigil.

Yes, all of my yes. I hate having to have a specific item to promote someone. I just rather it be one item that you can just promote someone. Like in FE9 and FE10. You had two options to promote, either break Level 20, or use a Master Seal. I like that better then having a seperate item for promotion. I'm fully behind Lunar Sigils.

...*facepalm* I never thought that could happen. Why on Earth would a monster get on that tile?

Siiigh. Fixing it asap... Thanks for reporting.

You should read "Known Issues.txt" before reporting any bugs.

Holy cow, look at that Garion! I didn't expect him to be that strong. :0

Thank you very much!

I disagree about the difficulty: it is meant to be challenging, but it's not unfair. I always say that it is harder than Awakening's Hard mode, and even there some enemies were stronger than your units. It's just a matter of strategy and careful planning. Even if some characters got RNG screwed, you could still pick them up later thanks to the Tower of Trials / skirmishes.

About Hellios: somebody didn't even use him for the whole game... so yes, it's totally possible to not use him, even if he's so strong that most players will rely on him, hehehe.

That's good, Andre! ;)

Derp on my part.

Also universal promotion item. All my yes.

also

post-11506-0-65516700-1402408606_thumb.jpeg

Used nothing on her but used up her new weapon before chapter 7.

post-11506-0-96929700-1402408606_thumb.jpeg

only used 1 Fang on Sae'rah

Edited by Chaz

Seems like a good time to do this so... Stats time. I'm only going to do my main all stars, not the whole group.

http://imgur.com/LgxmwOp Menmus. He does what he does. If he had a bit more defense I'd call him perfect for his class and abilities.
http://imgur.com/eBfjc3x Faratrass Women are tougher than men when it comes to withstanding pain, She got the memo. So much NO DAMAGE.
http://imgur.com/7uaWaII Garion, I so can't wait for him to promote, hes going to be so pro.
http://imgur.com/pndiezc Cattleya definitely benefits from that custom sword. I would like to see what SpellFencer can do with THIS.
http://imgur.com/nXAwJHc Rya: Women do the class better and Rya proves it.

Thats my allstars team by Ch 8's end. No point in including the others since they aren't up there.

Thank you very much!

That's good, Andre! ;)

<-- :D It's possible

[spoiler=Ch 8]It is hard not to use him in chapter 8 though...

So he did HAVE to battle for me due to my bad unit placement

Edited by Ancora

Man i love this hack i was hoping there be supports but we'll probaly have to wait until the hack is done I was to hoping to pair up faratrass and Hellios together

But after what happens in chater 8 it is just a dream i guess hope he come back.

Edited by eclipse
Trying to fix a broken tag?

Thank you for the compliments.

Huh, that was an unusual pairing indeed. Could you use spoiler tags though, please? It's a quite big spoiler you know.

[spoiler]write your stuff here[/spoiler]

And it'll look like this:

write your stuff here

I hope the game doesn't take a drop in difficulty because of the good stats you can get and exp. I like it in the hard to balls hard range. I never played Awakening, so... but in anycase. I pretty much played any hard hack of FE7 and FE8 and I have to say the difficulty is pretty good. Anything less than Hector Hard [Vanilla FE] and FE8 Girls Before the caps breaking is kind of.. a breeze to me. Just wonder how it can get tougher from here on out.

I hope the game doesn't take a drop in difficulty because of the good stats you can get and exp. I like it in the hard to balls hard range. I never played Awakening, so... but in anycase. I pretty much played any hard hack of FE7 and FE8 and I have to say the difficulty is pretty good. Anything less than Hector Hard [Vanilla FE] and FE8 Girls Before the caps breaking is kind of.. a breeze to me. Just wonder how it can get tougher from here on out.

Indeed that won't be easy. I see that some people have their characters between lv. 9 and lv. 13, and some others (especially those who played Difficult Mode) already have most of them at lv. 16-20. I have to create something that is challenging for the players with the most levelled characters, without making too hard the game for those with the weakest units... hmmm... I can do it.

I see how it is

[spoiler=>.&lt]xGgtDm4.png

o.O

I see how it is Schwarz >.>

Bahahahah!!!

Hello! I played your hack, and really enjoyed it.

But, in chapter 7, as I did another playthrough, I saw a weird glitch : The skeleton KILLS Hellios, making him a ghost : his actions are still happening, but he is... not there.
And, his place in chapter 8 also changes.

FireEmblemMidnightSun0_zps090b921a.png

Moreover, because everybody is doing it, why not?

Time for Character Analysis!

(I did a playthrough in HM "LTC"; it wasn't really a LTC run because I didn't rig lv ups or crits, but I tried my best to end the chapters as soon as possible, meaning I overused Hellios)

FireEmblemMidnightSun_zps6ed179f6.png

The Great Fa. She saved me a lot of times, especially during chapter 2 where only Hellios and her were good units. Her stats are really good, but her speed is kinda meh. She is one of the best units in my team.

FireEmblemMidnightSun1_zps99d09ec9.png

I dislike how Menmus (and probably all the characters of this hack) hates me when it comes to speed. His HP, strength, skill and def are good and helped me in a lot of chapters. He can also ferry any unit of the team, and helped in chapter 3 by putting Hellios near from Garion. In addition, when I gave him the Killer Lance, he was just a monster.

I will always remember how he wrecked those poor wolves who didn't stand a ghost of a chance in chapter 8.

FireEmblemMidnightSun2_zps3644196d.png

Andre is the ONLY Trainee I trained. As he is the only competent mage of the team with Fa, he can help a lot. He needs really more speed, to be able to do even more damage, but his stats are still acceptable. I think I should give him more kills.

FireEmblemMidnightSun3_zpsbdead96a.png

She is kinda disappointing, notably in speed, but she gets the job done. Sadly, I forgot to take the "Napalm Shot" in Chapter 5, so, she is not that strong.

But, as long as she ORKOs Eyeball, I'm fine with her.

FireEmblemMidnightSun4_zpsf689668a.png

I don't get why people bench him once they get Ceapana. He can still heal, weaken monsters with Flash/Light, and is your only Physic user (except if you abused staff on Ceapana) in chapter 7 and in the beginning of Chapter 8; and, in hard mode, you will need those healers.

It is sure he will go to the bench as soon as possible, but, right now, I need him in my team.

FireEmblemMidnightSun5_zps64a3fa97.png

She was never kind to me. Look at her speed stat. Four ups. Only Four ups. And she pretends to be a myrmidon (it was also a pain to have her critting). Her durability wasn't that good (even if 12 Res is good, 8 Def with 29 HP made her being destroyed by chapter 6's soldiers), but. There is one redeeming thing about her. The one thing that did not make her go to bench : She was the only character able to use the Solaris in chapter 8.

In addition, she has a great design, forcing me to use her.

Meh stats, but still useful.

FireEmblemMidnightSun6_zps4b63cfef.png

He was good. Nothing else to say about him.

FireEmblemMidnightSun7_zps9db4d603.png

Second healer. Is probably going to take Puledra's place as main, but, before that, she needs to be able to use Physic.

She is a really good character.

FireEmblemMidnightSun8_zps594499e4.png

Weiss is the best character of this hack, after Hellios, of course. He was the one charging at the enemy in Chapter 8, destroying the bonewalkers, and being wrecked by Eyeballs!

Wait, what?

Actually, he was hit a lot by the eyeballs, in chapter 8. I'm just so unlucky when it comes to HR under 50%... :tangerinesadness:

FireEmblemMidnightSun9_zpsc3a1d56b.png

He was fine to me. I couldn't get all the loot in chapter 7, because I was focused on the Solaris, but did a good job, especially in chapter 8, using the Hook Blade to destroy those nasty skeletons.

Good Character. Meh durability, but good character.

FireEmblemMidnightSun10_zps303f7a5e.png

I used him in chapter 6 to get the loot, then benched him. Wasn't that useful, sadly, because I love his character.

FireEmblemMidnightSun11_zps399e4f39.png

FireEmblemMidnightSun13_zpsa7ad70ab.png

FireEmblemMidnightSun12_zps42be4f8a.png

The three dudes who got benched once their recruiting chapter was over. Djambo was never used, as he really blows. Garion was in my opinion inferior to both Cristoph and Menmus, and Sae'rah is just impossible to use without a lot of rigging.

So, they just have to sit in the bench until this game ends.

I also love the fact you made anagrams; using the true character's name, then turning his letters. (ex : Morva > Ramov).

I laughed a lot when I discovered that.

(I also apologize if I make or made any kind of mistake, for I am French)

Edited by Nintales

Might as well write my 2cent here too... unfortunately no images..

Also if I am correct, there are at least 5 axe users in the roster, 4 swords(counting letruffe), 2 lance. Need more lance.

Also, hopefully, rare weapons like Olumbra and catt's new personal sword is obtainable somewhere.

Fa is really good. She can actually max mag at lvl 16. I'm impressed. Combined with 12sp, 12luck, 14def, 7res she certainly is good to go. Having just 8 skill is worrying so first skill item certainly goes to her.

Shiori... not commenting on her since she is not playable yet. Though the RNG seem to hate her. She repeatedly got hit by 20~ hit rates including an OHKO devil fork (24%)

Rya is a great jack of trades archer. 3x effectiveness is nothing to sneeze about and them res hitting bow means she can deal damage to knights. The game seems to know this and seem to like screwing her in strength. 35% growth on str? Get screwed. Though with 33hp, 9str, 18skill, 19speed, 10luck, 7def, 12res, she makes a great mage killer too. lvl 17

Christoph, the full on offensive man at lvl 14 with 14str, 9skill, 15speed, 12luck, 7def, 8res, turns out to become quite decent. Anything he hits crumbles. A failed dodge will hurt tho. Possibly the most at the mercy of the RNG. Spending time with him at 5 skill is... aggravating.

Menmus, Menmus, used less then the others due to varied weapons. Running into bows will almost ruin his day. Fortunately having high 12 def, 30hp at lvl 9 help him at least survive one shot. Having 7 speed and 6 luck doesn't help and any bow wielders always seems to know and make a beeline for him.

1.1 cattleya lvl 15 hp33, str14, 17skill, 15spd, 10luk, 6def, 9res. Strength blessed she is. Not as dodgy as a normal myrm. But I'll take it.

Andre lvl 7 wonder pupil hp32, 11mag, 14skill, 11speed, 16luck, 10def, 10res. He aint a god mage like some other andres out there, but with these stats, Andre can dodge and take some hits. 11 mag is worrying though... oh well. 13 levels to go.

No comment on Garion. Didn't use him considering how Christoph turns out in the end. Maybe once tower is open.

Djambo as a savage rebel is turning out into a more traditional axe fighter. His stats are more or less hovering somewhere around Christoph's level and he still has 15 levels to go! With 11def, 3res, making him solid front liner as long as no magic is involved.

Caepana got overused and end up level capped. 36hp, 12str(screwed), 14skill, 17speed, 19luck, 9def, 15res. still a solid unit nonetheless at least until I have another non-promoted healer to compare to.

Weiss, is also overused, capped and the 2nd strength victim to the RNG. 41hp, 15str, 15skill, 13speed, 10luck, 14def, 8res. All-rounder. Too bad that his strength got hit.

1.1 Sae'rah lvl 5 Tier2 recruit. 28hp, 10str, 10skill, 16speed, 12luck, 7def, 9res. Dodgy lancer. though since this is based on 1.1, she has more res growth compare to the 1.2 changes.

Schwarz is... a crossdresser. Jokes aside on his battle sprite, Schwarz didn't see much action. Unlike Menmus, Schwarz is just around the level where his 28hp and 8 def is enough to get OHKO by enemy archers. Making using him tedious especially in fog maps. Fortunately, he is still a match to the Doges at chapter 8. Just gotta remember to keep him away from arrows. Hopefully supports will reveal why he wont use lances.

Letruffe is decent I guess? Not enough use time for an overview. However, HE HAS DECENT STRENGTH! Making him useful from the get-go, unlike thieves from vanilla (Matthew/Colm I'm looking at you) and enough con to not get dock too much off speed with heavier swords.

Edited by HaruShion

In my case, Garion is my backup in case Christoph end up bleh. That didn't exactly happen.. so I decide to see how far he can go.

That said, the brigand's crit is a personal favorite and it is kind of sad zerkers dont do the same thing. In fact I wont mind if Garion have a super trainee like (Brigand II?) Just so I could send Garion at the final boss and watch him go WARRRGH! GARION! SMASH!

Edited by HaruShion

Chapter 7 feels harder than before. Probably because I'm playing without Hellios haha...

Screens pre-chapter7, hadn't beaten it yet >.>

VcLnjGF.png

Great, but that speed is hurting her pretty bad, she can't even dodge eyeballs -.- Benched

GvNlt9J.png

Benched for obvious reasons, though I couldn't avoid using him chapter 1,2 and to some extension 4. I'm bad. :\

V8setwv.png

Yeah, she did pretty poorly as compared to the other run. All she serves is support unlike the aggression aggressor she did last time. Benched

DzRZErV.png

Unlike last one, he got some levels and did pretty great. A brawn for brain class. He can't analyze to dodge, nor think of how to ward off magic despite being a believer. HA!

r3CwQQe.png

All pervert character have weak dodging skill, and the same is true for this geezer. Pretty much replacing him, but he's handy. Benched

xe5BhQt.png

He brought a tear to my eye. The lv 10 promotion made me chuckle.

vYhHR0R.png

Mobile Tank example courtesy of Klok's Lowen. Except I think Menmus is better. Struggling with decision to bench or not. (Benched for chap 7 though, can't use him for this round.)

vkrMoZL.png

100/10 would bang. That reminds me... I need to buy Kamon off for the ownership of the character so I can make a copy of her face slap it on my body pillow. I should modify my myrmidon character to be bit like her (though that thing is already present in current screenies i have)

SqlBi0B.png

BENCHED no question

64onn2f.png

As much as I love hero, I'd rather have a female one. . . Kamon pls make dis happen

vmfkC6l.png

Decided to try and use him. Hate him. He can't even make use of that sword, so he ended up needing steel sword at all time while throwing the agile estca in the storage.

Racism and sexism are fun though

h1MFBaT.png

Words can't explain how much I love this class. She's actually a great duelist as much one wouldn't expect from the sort of role.

dJKtm1i.png

Suicidal thwomp. All of my money. Take it.

ADDING THE FACT THAT HE'S NOT EVEN AS STRONG AS MY LAST WEISS MADE ME HATE HIM MORE SO I'M KEEPING MAH MONEIZ

LG0JGbt.png

Probably the only newb character that I like out of the six present that we know of from FE8 settings. ... Though she might kill me if she find out I'm not a kid. (I'm twenty but I'm a kid.)

Hearing about Dragoon made me decide to take her Soldier instead of super recruit unless she has an awesome class to go with that.

Edited by Fateborn

Chapter 7 feels harder than before. Probably because I'm playing without Hellios haha...

Screens pre-chapter7, hadn't beaten it yet >.>

VcLnjGF.png

Great, but that speed is hurting her pretty bad, she can't even dodge eyeballs -.- Benched

GvNlt9J.png

Benched for obvious reasons, though I couldn't avoid using him chapter 1,2 and to some extension 3. I'm bad. :\

V8setwv.png

Yeah, she did pretty poorly as compared to the other run. All she serves is support unlike the aggression aggressor she did last time. Benched

DzRZErV.png

Unlike last one, he got some levels and did pretty great. A brawn for brain class. He can't analyze to dodge, nor think of how to ward off magic despite being a believer. HA!

r3CwQQe.png

All pervert character have weak dodging skill, and the same is true for this geezer. Pretty much replacing him, but he's handy. Benched

xe5BhQt.png

He brought a tear to my eye. The lv 10 promotion made me chuckle.

vYhHR0R.png

Mobile Tank example courtesy of Klok's Lowen. Except I think Menmus is better. Struggling with decision to bench or not. (Benched for chap 7 though, can't use him for this round.)

vkrMoZL.png

100/10 would bang. That reminds me... I need to buy Kamon off for the ownership of the character so I can make a copy of her face slap it on my body pillow. I should modify my myrmidon character to be bit like her (though that thing is already present in current screenies i have)

SqlBi0B.png

BENCHED no question

64onn2f.png

As much as I love hero, I'd rather have a female one. . . Kamon pls make dis happen

vmfkC6l.png

Decided to try and use him. Hate him. He can't even make use of that sword, so he ended up needing steel sword at all time while throwing the agile estca in the storage.

Racism and sexism are fun though

h1MFBaT.png

Words can't explain how much I love this class. She's actually a great duelist as much one wouldn't expect from the sort of role.

dJKtm1i.png

Suicidal thwomp. All of my money. Take it.

ADDING THE FACT THAT HE'S NOT EVEN AS STRONG AS MY LAST WEISS MADE ME HATE HIM MORE SO I'M KEEPING MAH MONEIZ

LG0JGbt.png

Probably the only newb character that I like out of the six present that we know of from FE8 settings. ... Though she might kill me if she find out I'm not a kid. (I'm twenty but I'm a kid.)

Hearing about Dragoon made me decide to take her Soldier instead of super recruit unless she has an awesome class to go with that.

You're not bad for not avoiding "him" but to not use "him" you have to have some RNG magic which on my part isn't nice - Well for me that is >.< :(

Good job overall ^^

Edited by Ancora

I find the lack of Garion users to be quite disturbing.

HOW BOUT THAT SKILL!? (Shameless bandit propaganda at work)

I tried to use him this time but ugh he just didnt turn out good enough compared to others. I also tried schwarz. they both just didn't shine hard enough. Chris is a somewhat better then Garion for me and Djambo is just a godlike axe user. Can't wait to make him a beserker and just axe everything.

Both schwarz and Memnus feel average to me in terms of flyers but average is way better then being not usuable at all. imo there isn't an useless unit.

post-11506-0-34225000-1402487632_thumb.jpeg

post-11506-0-64767000-1402487632_thumb.jpeg

post-11506-0-50800600-1402487633_thumb.jpeg

RNG at it finest.

I'm surprised at all the Schwartz and Garion hate. Schwartz in particular has the Agile Estoc for a reason - With it you should have no problem securing kills on chipped opponents, or bursting targets down. I think he gained something like 3 levels in Chapter 7.

I tossed Garion the Bonecrusher and he was able to 1HKO skeletons and armors so his starting speed didn't matter at all, and the level ups rounded him out nicely. I also had him trade off blockading the bridge in the forest chapter.

I want to be able to use Sae'rah because Menmus is the only lance user right now, but the chapters she's available in are difficult for her to survive while being fed kills.

Axe users tend to need a little beef and whatnot in order to survive. Garion has better con and better defensive stat while not having the best kind of luck. He has something he desperately needs too. SKILL. This isnt all that common with some axe units, but when they got it.. hooo boy. I could use Christoph, but a glass cannon AXE user isnt my sort of bag. Myrms and mercs? Sure. But an axe user? I kind of like them beefy and tough. I ain't even going to lie, I'm biased towards wyvern units that are like in FE9/10. Lack of hot pegasus chick kind of scares me away. [Yeah I'm sexist bout the peg knight class, what you gunna do bout it?]

I tend to like pirates over both fighters and Brigands.(I love my crits when beserkers get 70+ crit with killer axes) But I am not gonna bench any of the 3 fighters just yet. As for pegasus, I tend to hate them even almost any FE game. Wyvern Units for life. I have a habit of babying units like ross/amelia/Sae'rah/Djambo mostly because the have the greatest potential then any other unit.

I got sae'rah to level 10 on the chapter I recruited her on because I learned how to bait units to go where I want them instead of rushing towards them most of the times. I also got djambo level 10 on that chapter too. I tend to have a way higher turn time then most people because of this but this method works for me. I regret giving her the fang as it turned out she didn't really need it.

Edited by Chaz

I dont care about those so called LTC and efficiency runs or tier list crap. I tend to use who I want to, and in that capacity my unit choices can widely vary. Jill, Haar, and Tana as a wyvern knight is what turned me on to the wyvern unit class. Seeing a male pegasus knight with high str and low skill and no access to lances is a bit strange to me. But I have no real reason to use Schwarz with there not being many axe users to grind up... Although that rescue con... 17 is sexy. Might revisit on that merit alone... I too have a thing for babying certain units. I generally do this with Amelia and Nino. Ross on the blue moon. I dont like Ewan nearly enough to bother with that when I got Lute. I have to admit, I have a haphazard way of fighting. I got no real strategy on my first two tries, after that I will use strategies. I'm getting fired up for the next patch. :3

I tend to like pirates over both fighters and Brigands.(I love my crits when beserkers get 70+ crit with killer axes) But I am not gonna bench any of the 3 fighters just yet. As for pegasus, I tend to hate them even almost any FE game. Wyvern Units for life. I have a habit of babying units like ross/amelia/Sae'rah/Djambo mostly because the have the greatest potential then any other unit.

I got sae'rah to level 10 on the chapter I recruited her on because I learned how to bait units to go where I want them instead of rushing towards them most of the times. I also got djambo level 10 on that chapter too. I tend to have a way higher turn time then most people because of this but this method works for me. I regret giving her the fang as it turned out she didn't really need it.

That's not really 'learning', though, Fire Emblem enemies are well and truly easy to manipulate via their attack range. In my experience she wasn't doing enough to finish chipped enemies off, and she was taking far too much counterattack damage.

As for trainees in general, I find that babying units to the degree they require is often counterproductive, as you generally don't need units to scale up so ridiculously high to complete objectives. Andre is the exception to the trainees amongst this cast due to how early he joins and the fact that he's a mage unit and targets RES. A unit needs to be able to at least deal appreciable damage at first for me to use them.

Also Brigands promote to Berserkers.