Things I need answered before I start my FE8 hack.

GreatEclipse

Hello world. I have been procrastinating on taken some time off from my FE7 balance hack to brain storm and develop the necessary techniques for an entirely new Fire Emblem game I would like to make afterwords. However, I have decided to use FE8 as the base for a variety of reasons, and there are many things I would like to know first.

1) I intent to implement FE4 style weapon levels, which has the potential to make which promotion is chosen a far more meaningful one, assuming it is properly balanced. What I want to know are, how do I increase the number of promotion options for a class to 3 or more, and is there any way to give an un-promoted character an S rank and keep it from resetting after they use a weapon of the respective type?

2) The only thing I can think up for making Pierce, Sure Shot and Great Shield worthwhile skills, short of re-programing the activation formula, is an FE4 style leveling system. However, the UPS patch for that stops working if any other changes are made to the ROM. There does seem to be some interesting skill related stuff in the asm folder for FEditor, but I am unable to apply any of it. Despite having the latest version of Java, the JFP patcher refuses to work, saying "java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". It them tells me to "press any key to continue", only to quit upon doing so.

3) Would Augury's be impossible to implement? Not a huge loss if not, but it would allow me to experiment with chapter events that could perhaps feel a bit cheap during a first play-through in there absence, and they would work extremely well in combination with some of my ideas for the story.

4) Will I be forced to use the world map, or could I set chapter progression up like other games in the series? How difficult would it be to change the names of places on it or, even better, the map itself?

I could list more, but I do not want to overwhelm everyone, assuming I haven't already. As always, thank you all very much for your time, whether you can answer my questions or not.

So, 5 days, and no one can answer any of my questions? sad.gif

In the interest of making this more than a desperate topic bump, I will mention that I managed to make a little progress on my own. It turns out that if you apply a UPS patch to a ROM before even opening it with Nightmare, the changes will stay in place upon further edits. Applying multiple patches to the same ROM does not appear possible, though, which is unfortunate. Also, changing the status of un-promoted classes to promoted ones allows characters to start with an S rank without complicating promotions themselves in the slightest, but it also really screws up EXP gains, making them either way too low if vs. un-promoted foes or way too high vs. promoted ones, and so I have only traded one problem for another.

So, 5 days, and no one can answer any of my questions? sad.gif

In the interest of making this more than a desperate topic bump, I will mention that I managed to make a little progress on my own. It turns out that if you apply a UPS patch to a ROM before even opening it with Nightmare, the changes will stay in place upon further edits. Applying multiple patches to the same ROM does not appear possible, though, which is unfortunate. Also, changing the status of un-promoted classes to promoted ones allows characters to start with an S rank without complicating promotions themselves in the slightest, but it also really screws up EXP gains, making them either way too low if vs. un-promoted foes or way too high vs. promoted ones, and so I have only traded one problem for another.

Well for the exp gains you can change the relative unit power or something and that should make them gain more exp. Although I've never done that myself. I think its in the class or character editors.

Basically, you have lofty goals. Half of them require ASM, and the other half are probably undiscovered FE8 stuff, like the world map and crap.

@UPS, if you check Ignore/Ask/Notify rather than Abort, you should be able to apply as many as you want.

Edit: oh are we talking about NM2 not NM1/NUPS nevermind then

Edited by Jubby