Expanding class and weapon arrays.

GreatEclipse

I have been trying to follow the tutorial here, but I keep getting stuck at step 8. It should help if I walk you through my process, so everyone can see in detail what I may be doing wrong.

1) I open HxD.

2) Opening the class module with notepad, I find offset 0x807110 at the top, with 128 and 84 just below it. 128 x 84 = 10,752 or 2A00 in Hex.

3) I go use Ctrl+G to find 0x807110 in HxD, and copy from that point downward until I see 2A00 as the length at the bottom of the screen.

4) A new window is opened and the data is pasted and saved as "Class array".

5) I go all the way down to the bottom of HxD and find 102E404 as the first blank space.

6) The class array data is pasted here.

7) I go to search > replace, enter Hex-values as the data type, type in 011708 (reverse of 807110) into the search bar and 404E201 into replace (reverse of 102E404). Search direction is set to all.

8) I select OK, selected it again at the second prompt, then save. Then I attempt to open the ROM, and...blank white screen. No idea what to do from here. My attempts to expand the item array have been no more successful.

I would be immensely grateful if anyone can figure this out.

7) I go to search > replace, enter Hex-values as the data type, type in 011708 (reverse of 807110) into the search bar and 404E201 into replace (reverse of 102E404)08.

wrong

you want to replace 10 71 80 08 (the reverse of 0x08807110 or 08 80 71 10) with 04 E4 02 09 (reverse of 0x0902E404 or 09 02 E4 04)

Edited by CT075

Okay, I got the expanded Class Editor working, and for that you have my highest gratitude. Using the Chapter Unit Editor to implement the new classes into the game is a new source of frustration, though. Simply going into the Class Hex List and adding "0x80 Nomad" and selecting it for Franz when he appears in chapter 1 only causes him to show up with 0 in every stat and with the Ephraim map sprite, despite everything being filled out for the Nomad in the Class Editor.

Also, do you need to expand the Map Sprite data in order to import new map animations? Expanding the txt documents does not seem to work in this case either.

Edited by GreatEclipse

Yes, I opened Class Editor.nmm, changed 0x807110 at the top to 0x102E404 and increased 128 to 130 to account for the Nomad and Nomadic Trooper. I then made corresponding changes to all the txt folders, and have not had problems filling out the data for the new classes. The issue is getting them to show up in actual chapters.

i'm trying to think of things that could be going wrong

a) are you sure you replaced EVERY instance of the previous class pointer?

b) have you tried changing anyone else's class?

c) have you tried altering in the hex data?

1) What else would I need to change?

2) Yes, I have also been experimenting with that as well, without great results either. Importing and applying map sprites has gone fine, but base weapon levels seem to be hard coded into characters in a way they were not for FE7. Franz always shows up in chapter 1 with E Swords / D Lances, even if his ranks are removed in both the class and character editors. Animations are also inconsisent; I can get axes working fine for Gilliam, but not bows for Franz (I have tried turning the Cavalier into a Nomad, just for experimentation purposes) or swords for Vanessa.

3) No, do you think it world make a difference? I have no idea where to look, mind you.

I hate piling on additional questions, but you seem like the person to ask for something like this: Where can I find Hextator's assembly patcher? I want to apply the Critical+ skill patch in the FEditor ADV asm folder, but I cannot find it in his documents. Also, how difficult would it be to change terrain penaties in HxD? An editor for this exists for FE7 but does not appear to for FE8, and I am weary about using modules for any game other than the one they were made for.

Edited by GreatEclipse

I hate piling on additional questions, but you seem like the person to ask for something like this: Where can I find Hextator's assembly patcher? I want to apply the Critical+ skill patch in the FEditor ADV asm folder, but I cannot find it in his documents. Also, how difficult would it be to change terrain penaties in HxD? An editor for this exists for FE7 but does not appear to for FE8, and I am weary about using modules for any game other than the one they were made for.

read

the

doooooooooc

nosrslyit'sthere

at the terrain thing that'd just be finding where those are noted in the data

no do no use fe7 mods for fe8

please dear god do not do that

1) What else would I need to change?

whichever ones you didn't

2) Yes, I have also been experimenting with that as well, without great results either. Importing and applying map sprites has gone fine, but base weapon levels seem to be hard coded onto characters in a way they were not for FE7. Franz always shows up in chapter 1 with E Swords / D Lances, even if his ranks are removed in both the class and character editor. Animations are also inconsisent; I can get axes working fine for Gilliam, but not bows for Franz (I have tried turning the Cavalier into a Nomad, just for experimentation purposes) or swords for Vanessa.

i have no idea

3) No, do you think it world make a difference? I have no idea where to look, mind you.

considering that you pasted the class data in hex i'm fairly sure you know exactly where to look

I hate piling on additional questions, but you seem like the person to ask something like this: Where can I find Hextator's assembly patcher?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/336940/Hextator's%20Doc/Development/Applications/Patching/Assembly%20Patcher/folDIR.html

alternately you can use mine which does literally the exact same thing

how difficult would it be to change terrain penaties in HxD? An editor for this exists for FE7 but does not appear to for FE8, and I am weary about using modules for any game other than the one they were made for.

don't use modules for different games

nightmare is essentially a hex editor with nice labels

you can change terrain penalties by altering the data that the 'terrain penalty' pointer points to in class/character data

After trying and failing at every attempt to fix my class problems over the last few days, I have decided to just start over on an unexpanded ROM and just convert existing classes I do not plan to use into new ones. I have already managed to get the Nomad class working perfectly, so the other problems must have been related to my messing something up with the expansion.

As for the Critical mod, I can assure you I had looked in the text document, the problem was finding what I needed. I have it working now. In any case, thank you both for your time.