So how can I improve this?

Kysafen

And yeah, this is the first time in over a year that I've even touched a battle sprite, so I'm 99.99999% sure this is going to need to be re-edited. And that's where YOU GUYS come in!

Untitled-9.png

-Don't know if the sword needs reworking

-The shoulder-mounted shield seems off, not sure if it's an angle issue, or...

-I didn't add any of his shin armor

-Is the wrist pad too big?

-Any other detail I'm missing/need to add?

I'm considering redoing this altogether, using the SoS standing pose as the base;

First I'd try to define his actual dimensions, minus the plate armor, but the shoulder on the left side presents a problem: his tunic would match the same color as his cape.

Second, I'd try to draw his tunic in accordance with the Kakusei redesign; [what seems to be] a long-sleeve blue tunic (with black and blue sleeves) with a black vest, along with what appears to be black pants underneath and gray-ish, nondescript shoes (boots? whatever).

And then I'd try to add the shoulder band, his leg armor, his wrist guard, his shoulder guard, and his sword.

But it seems like if I throw all of that together I'm afraid that even with shading, all the different elements might boil down to only a couple of pixels each. Combine that with the fact that I'm really not experienced with drawing sprites and I think this might be out of my league. :P

Should I try making a mannequin frame as a base and try from there? Should I just use the SoS standing frame as a base?

@Mewiyev: I think I should recolor the "attached to his leg sword"... it was actually the Sword of Seals' sheath. I suck at shading, but I'll see what I can do if I'm under the assumption that the light source is in front of him. Thanks so far! :)

Edited by Kysafen

Most battle sprites are simplified versions of character designs for the sake of clarity. Even so, I don't think you necessarily need to -remove- details, you just need to make them look like they're actually on his body by shading properly. The shield on his shoulder is nearly impossible to read and looks like a weird blob, if I were you I'd forsake some of the details on the shield and go for getting the shape to look correct first. Anyway, the straps on his chest look like a weird glowing X, the chest itself isn't shaded at all and I honestly can't even tell what's going on with his far arm. Is it raised? Try to copy the shading on the old sprite, it'll help readability.

It kinda seems like you were trying really hard to battle sprite-ify the Kakusei art, which in the first place is not a good idea imo; he's in a goofy, noncandid pose and the sword that's attached to his far leg looks completely backwards to me (why does he have two swords o_O)

Just random thoughts on the mod:

- Keep the original sprite pose 100% (sword sheathed), then reference that for a different pose (easier than going straight for the pinup's pose).

- Recolor Roy's clothes to their new main colors first. The current work looks like his shoes, headband, pants, and belt weren't changed to Kakusei colors. Then strip the cape/pauldrons and add shield/belts/belts/greaves/gauntlets. Details (gold trim, extra colors e.g. blue on the tunic) would be last.

- Add 2 more tones for black

- Angle of the shield thing on your current mod is indeed at the wrong angle.

Good luck with it; it's certainly possible.

Roy also switched sword hands; he always holds his sword in his right. You have it in his left.

That's the way it is on his Kakusei artwork. :P

You need to have his CAPE go straight down his body until around/a little above the small of his back, then have it curl away and then back towards him in a somewhat U-like shape.

Cuz that is definitely the most amazing thing about the Kakusei artwork.

• 1 month later...

After a bunch of months of doing nothing, I finally decided to give this another go, keeping the original sprite pose as per Lenh's suggestion.

Modified Raven's shoulder band, and imported Hector (Great Lord)'s greaves, changed some colors, ended up with this:

Untitled-10.png

1. Normal

2. First attempt

3. Third attempt

4. 3, but with more neck exposed and some shading on the shield.

Considering changing the hand guards, too. I'm wondering how I can get the shield to look more say... distinguished from his arms. Also wondering if I got the angle of the thing right this time.

Yay! He's looking much better color and form-wise. I like the shield shading on 4, but think the exposed neck would need some more defining to look right.

The shield seems at a reasonable angle for the arm now. Imo just marquee around the whole shield and move it away from the arm to where you think it's distinguished enough, then fill in the gap it left. The hands look differently dressed atm, probably because of the white trim on the shield-side hand.

Anyways, good progress~

Untitled-11.png

Darkened the bottom of Roy's greaves to match his exposes shoes, moved shield, increased size of arm guards...

I don't know if I should revert the shoe colors (or darken the gray coloring above the black shading). Would you guys say the shield stands out now? Should I lower it? Should I also revert Roy's collar back to the way it was in #3?

Edited by Kysafen