English College education to go down the toilet

CrashGordon94

One of my teachers told me something about the English College system changing the way it works next year. I won't have to deal with it myself but I'm feeling extremely angry and depressed for those who will.

To explain Colleges over here are equivalent to the last few years of High School in the US. There are two sets of exams (one in January, another in June/July) and there is no strict limit on how many times you can resit specific modules.

The new bullshit will take out the January exams and move EVERYTHING to the summer. So instead of studying one module, getting it over with and moving onto the next you get bombarded with it all at the same time.

Of course they might compensate by getting rid of some of the exams and modules, which is just great! Now you'll get more stress AND LESS ACTUAL LEARNING! Truely an example to schooling everywhere! :D:

But the worst part is that now they will limit you to one resit per module. Screwed up twice? TOO BAD YOU'RE FUCKED FOREVER TROLOLOLOL

I genuinely hope none of you get subjected to anything like this.

Edited by Balcerzak
removed inappropriate

As a Brit, I wholeheartedly agree with the changes being made. For too long, students have been resitting exams to try and get extra marks. A lot of people I know sat exams multiple times to get the grades they wanted. It devalues the qualification. With a single set of exams in the summer, you actually need to learn stuff and retain it, rather than being able to memorise it for the three months before your exams.

At uni, you get very few chances to resit. If things go badly, sure they give you a chance in most places. However, if you mess up due to laziness, it's your own fault.

I would normally argue these points but I will not this time.

I did not intend to offend any users here, I was solely mad at the bureaucrats for a decision that I thought would cause major problems for future students, I didn't want them to experience this and I acted in the heat of the moment to create this poorly conceived topic. I apologise to anyone I have offended.

Uh, this is kind of how GSCEs are working now. The single resit thing has already been implemented, and every year from now on does all of their exams at the end. I don't think it's gonna be too bad, I wouldn't mind all of my exams being at the end of 2 years, rather than being constantly there.

That's also pretty much how the International Baccalaureate system works, which is what I took in high school. I can understand that it seems pretty strenuous compared to what you had before but I'm sure people won't find it that bad.

To put it simply, education is not going to go down the drain due to examination moving to one period. We've been doing that in the Netherlands for ages and yes it will take some organizational skill here and there and motivation hence and forth but in the end it's doable. I took seven 3 hour long exams in one week and passed them all easily. (And to compare, my exams should be quite similar to those given in college)