The The Big Bang Theory main characters in their 30s!?

Junkhead

So I just read on the wiki that they're on their 30s. They really don't look like they're in their 30's...and the fact that they still collect comic books and other merchendise as well as the fact that Howard lives with his mother just kind of supports what I thought.

I thought they were 25 at most.

Pretty sure not many people have doctorates when they're 25

Doctorates are supposed to take seven years, so if they start when they're 18, 25 is a reasonable age for them to be, especially when you consider that none of them have senior positions or even to ever teach any students. It's only compounded when you consider that none of them have partners or seem to have ever been in a long-term relationship. And they definitely don't look like they're in their 30s.

Doctorates are supposed to take seven years, so if they start when they're 18, 25 is a reasonable age for them to be, especially when you consider that none of them have senior positions or even to ever teach any students. It's only compounded when you consider that none of them have partners or seem to have ever been in a long-term relationship. And they definitely don't look like they're in their 30s.

How are you starting at 18? You can't start work on a doctorate fresh out of high school. That said, the length of the program is actually widely variable, depending on the discipline, the motivation of the student, the success of the research, and so forth. Anywhere from 4-8 years would be a reasonable timeframe following the completion of one's undergraduate degree. I could also see 3 years in rare or exceptional cases.

Pretty sure you need your Bachelors and Masters before you even start Doctorate? (Bal, correct me if I'm wrong)

At least in America anyway which is where the show takes place in

Edited by Zhuge Liang

You definitely do not need a Masters to be in a doctoral program. I only got my Masters as an afterthought along the way when the Student Services director sent out an email indicating that it was a possibility.

I don't know of a program that will accept you without a Bachelors of some kind (either BA or BS), but I suppose that lack of evidence is not evidence of lack.

Pretty sure you need your Bachelors and Masters before you even start Doctorate? (Bal, correct me if I'm wrong)

At least in America anyway which is where the show takes place in

No, I meant that getting your Bachelors, Masters and then Doctorate takes a total of 7 years, correct me if I'm wrong. And Leonard and co. always struck me as occupying the lowest rung of the university ladder: aka, they won't have had their PhDs for very long.

And there's no denying that they definitely don't act like they're 30 years old. Well, they don't even act like they're 20 years old.

No, I meant that getting your Bachelors, Masters and then Doctorate takes a total of 7 years, correct me if I'm wrong. And Leonard and co. always struck me as occupying the lowest rung of the university ladder: aka, they won't have had their PhDs for very long.

And there's no denying that they definitely don't act like they're 30 years old. Well, they don't even act like they're 20 years old.

In my country, it's 3 years for bachelor's, 1-2 years for master's and then 4 or more for the PhD/doctorate. This should be standardized throughout the EU.

It's 4 for Bachelors in America, 5 depending on major but some might get away with 3 if you cram a lot of credits in a semester. Then it's an additional 2 years for Masters, though I'm not 100% sure on that one, I think it's more variable and certain programs let you do only 1 additional year if you do the masters in the school you did bachelors. That's 5-7 years on Bachelors+Masters added together. Since the characters are in America, I'm pretty sure they use that system. PhD is more time tacked on to that.