G2Gs Music Thread

Gone2Ground

Yeah. Basically, this is just a thread where people recommend music and then review each other's choices. Please avoid ripping each others throats out.

That said, let the wars begin. I'll just lead off with this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mIXLJ9t5Js8

Its basically a pretty upbeat song for all the people who weren't popular in high school, but I'm drawn to it due to pretty obvious similarities with the number of the same name from Wicked. No, seriously, listen to them back to back. Wicked uses it to establish character relationships and Gilda's personality, and like MIKA's song criticizes what popular represents but in a different way. It's interesting to see a song that isn't about...well, being popular. The only real problem I have with MIKA's song is that the beat can get kind of grating and dubstep-y at times, but it's still a good message with pretty impressive vocals from one of my favorite artists.

Edited by Gone2Ground

I don't understand... what is MIKA trying to say? That popular isn't about being the rich person anymore?

Not necessarily, it's more a social commentary on how popularity doesn't really matter early in your life if it has a negative impact on the rest of it, and is telling teenagers to stop angsting about it. Although money does come into it in parts.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/12/

I'll leave this here for anyone who's anyone the independent scene. It's Triple J's Hottest 100, the biggest music democracy in the world! Basically we spend a month voting on our favourite up-and-comers and listen to the top 100 play through Australia Day, which is kind of our equivalent of 4th July. Good to just sit back and play through the whole thing, and pick out your favourites to get some new music.