Demo - Lunatic Mode - Thoughts?

Volke29

I'm not saying I'm the greatest FE players ever. In fact, I've only played the console versions, but I've beaten them SO many times, sometimes with odd restrictions (Ike only run comes to mind).

Anyway, I got the demo yesterday and started on Hard. I used the usual tactics and tried some new things (the pairing), but mainly used Fredrick as bait (I unequip his weapon) and give my other units the EXP. It was really a walk in the park for a veteran player.

On lunatic mode, wow, was I surprised at the jump in difficulty versus the units I had. Yes, lunatic can be beaten very easily if you own with Fredrick all day and give your other units some EXP, but I think I may be missing something in terms of strategy here.

I've been dying, something I'm not accustomed to in FE, and was wondering what the community thought. I know, I know, I'm probably going to get flamed a bit, and someone will post how easy lunatic is. What makes things difficult is the amount of enemies on the map, low HP of starting units (two hits they are dead). I seem to have to rely on Fredrick more than I want to. Is this an inevitability or is there another tactic to use?

I've given MU Magic as best skill and LCK as worst. Usually pair him with either the girl (haven't memorized her name yet) as he does more damage and have Chrom roll with Fredrick, with Chrom getting kills after Fredrick weakens (Fredrick usually kills, but sometimes he weakens) enemy units.

I did a search on this forum and didn't immediately find a topic on this. I did see something on Gamefaqs saying, "OMG LUNATIC IS SO EAZY!" Ah, gamefaqs. Such tough guys on that forum =D

Anyway, thoughtful input or perspective is welcome.

Thanks.

Edited by Volke29

The two chapters in the demo have nothing on the crap they pull later on in the game.

Ambush spawning with forged silver weapons? You haven't had to deal with that yet.

Then again, you can grind on DLC after Chapter 4.

It is DEFINITELY the biggest jump in difficulty between any two options that are next to each other in any FE game I've ever played.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The two chapters in the demo have nothing on the crap they pull later on in the game.

Ambush spawning with forged silver weapons? You haven't had to deal with that yet.

Then again, you can grind on DLC after Chapter 4.

It is DEFINITELY the biggest jump in difficulty between any two options that are next to each other in any FE game I've ever played.

So the community agrees regarding the jump in level of difficulty on lunatic mode? I personally do not mind an INSANE very difficult challenge. I just want it to be fair, meaning it can be beat without any DLC.

I take it you've been playing an imported version you lucky son of a .... hehe just kidding =D

Edited by Volke29

It's definitely completable without any DLC use at all. Took until my third run of it(chapter 18 on my 1st and 2nd was where I had to end up using DLC), but as long as you unlock some of Gaidens for some extra EXP you can complete the game without it(or Nosferatu).

Edited by arvilino

I get pretty tired of the attitude of people that claim something really hard as easy, no offence to the select few that don't mean to boast. But a large number of thoose players just want to wave of their awsumesauce skillz, and in general they just tend to abuse ingame tricks to win. Guess alot of gamers today only think difficult = impossible, anything else easy.

Hard is probably where most experienced fe players will find a home, it's still just the early chapters on that demo so it's not fair to compare difficulty through it. Lunatic is a big jump, then comes lunatic +. Personally i'll peobably not reach further than hard, possibly lunatic. I expect to die so much that they are going to need a country sized graveyard.

I get pretty tired of the attitude of people that claim something really hard as easy, no offence to the select few that don't mean to boast. But a large number of thoose players just want to wave of their awsumesauce skillz, and in general they just tend to abuse ingame tricks to win. Guess alot of gamers today only think difficult = impossible, anything else easy.

Hard is probably where most experienced fe players will find a home, it's still just the early chapters on that demo so it's not fair to compare difficulty through it. Lunatic is a big jump, then comes lunatic +. Personally i'll peobably not reach further than hard, possibly lunatic. I expect to die so much that they are going to need a country sized graveyard.

Wow there is a Lunatic + !!!! Does anyone know if you get to keep your characters or items? Stuff like that, or is it a fresh start with same units.

Side note, I wasn't trying to boast about my skill, all I meant was if you've played FE enough and know the strategies, it shouldn't be too difficult on hard. I'm sure hard mode is hard and many will find it a challenge. I've started this thread in peace, so my apologies if I offended anyone. =)

Wow there is a Lunatic + !!!! Does anyone know if you get to keep your characters or items? Stuff like that, or is it a fresh start with same units.

There is no New Game+ feature. You will start with the units you have. And you will eat Luna+ hits. You WILL eat Luna+ hits. Did I mention you will eat Luna+ hits?

I still fear that Absolute Hit skill.

Edited by shadowofchaos

There is no New Game+ feature. You will start with the units you have. And you will eat Luna+ hits. You WILL eat Luna+ hits. Did I meantion you will eat Luna+ hits?

I still fear that Absolute Hit skill.

I wouldn't fear Absolute hit, it's actually one of the skills that you'll be glad to see the enemy(except perhaps the Axe guys) have, it means there's less chance they have the dreaded Counter.

Edited by arvilino

Can reinforcements often be fort-blocked or do these reinforcements appear around where they would usually spawn if their spot has been blocked?

Can reinforcements often be fort-blocked or do these reinforcements appear around where they would usually spawn if their spot has been blocked?

Yes, they can be fort-blocked. But the ones that appear from non-fort positions appear at least 3-4 at a time. And never tried putting that many units to try to block them to see if they still spawn.

Later in the game... 8-10 at a time.

Yeah... you're not blocking them.

Depends on the reinforcement, I think. There are a few places where you can block them, but a ton where you can't.

But yeah Lunatic is pretty crazy. It's fair, though.

1358716116[/url]' post='2254481']

Side note, I wasn't trying to boast about my skill, all I meant was if you've played FE enough and know the strategies, it shouldn't be too difficult on hard. I'm sure hard mode is hard and many will find it a challenge. I've started this thread in peace, so my apologies if I offended anyone. =)

Already been answered so not going into that, as for side note.

No you are missunderstanding my post, i was refeering to the tc of that gamefaqs thread you mentioned. I'm fine with people saying they have experience.

What i think is bad is the crowds that claim the most difficult game modes to be easy just to sound good.

Sorry if i came off hostile

Edited by Deshiva

Depends on the reinforcement, I think. There are a few places where you can block them, but a ton where you can't.

But yeah Lunatic is pretty crazy. It's fair, though.

I think all the forts can be blocked, but the ones from the edges of the map can't. But apparently some(all?) of the bosses hint of reinforcements are coming from in their dialogue very close to when the reinforcements do come.

I think all the forts can be blocked, but the ones from the edges of the map can't. But apparently some(all?) of the bosses hint of reinforcements are coming from in their dialogue very close to when the reinforcements do come.

Not all the forts; the ones in Ch9 just waltz right out. But yeah most of them, and stairs.

Wasn't aware of the boss notifications; that helps.

Wasn't aware of the boss notifications; that helps.

All of them say so before they spawn.

At least... the ones that can talk.

The boss of Chapter 13 obviously doesn't say crap before forged Silver Axe Warriors with counter skills appear on the forts at the bottom of the map because he's a Risen.

All of them say so before they spawn.

At least... the ones that can talk.

The boss of Chapter 13 obviously doesn't say crap before forged Silver Axe Warriors with counter skills appear on the forts at the bottom of the map because he's a Risen.

I'm imagining a random conversation between two risen growling at each other. They totally should've done done that to hint reinforcements.

Greetings, fantastic fellow Fire Emblem 'ficionados! After playing the English demo of FE: Awakening, this is what I have learned:

Normal: Pretty easy, but at least a new player can't complain about difficulty.

Hard: There are a couple more units, and the enemies have higher stats all around. This will require more skill.

Lunatic: All right, let's play this......Game Over? Well, that was an interesting ten seconds.

Lunatic seems to have even more enemies than Hard, and they are basically on steroids. Many of them can kill Chrom in just two hits, or Lissa in one.

As it turns out, the only way to beat the Prologue is to constantly use Frederick and really pay attention to where the enemies are.

Although I have tried many times, I have not yet beat Chapter 1 on Lunatic.

One thing I've noticed about Lunatic is that even when I use my "winning" strategy in the Prologue, sometimes I lose anyways. Maybe a crucial attack misses,

or the enemy with a 2% crit rate gets a crit anyway and instantly kills Frederick. (True story)

Oftentimes I tell my friends that the game Minesweeper teaches us a lesson: No matter how good of a minesweeper you are, you will have to guess at some point,

and you might guess wrong, and blow up and DIE. Just like in real life.Lunatic difficulty in FE: Awakening has taught me that even with the best strategy,

there is always some luck required in war. Just like in real life.

As such, I am glad that Lunatic difficulty exists, but I definitely won't be playing it in classic mode!blink.gif

Edited by Zera

Lunatic: All right, let's play this......Game Over? Well, that was an interesting ten seconds.

And that about sums up my experience with Lunatic so far.

May give it a shot after a few runs on Hard, which I intend to start on, but that's way too much for me right now. Still trying to better understand the systems and such.

Btw, I like you luck analogy Zera.

[/size]

And that about sums up my experience with Lunatic so far.

I may give it a shot after a few runs on Hard, which I intend to start on, but that's way too much for me right now. Still trying to better understand the systems and such.

By the way, I like your luck analogy, Zera.

Thanks. I always consider videogame challenges to be made of 3 components: Skill, Strategy, and Luck. As FE is turn based and there is heavy use of the random-number-generator,

FE tends to have a lot of strategy, a bit of luck, but not much skill at all in a traditional sense. You don't have to worry about timing your button presses in FE.

From what I can glean from the demo, Lunatic mode seems to feature a fair bit more luck early on than Normal or Hard. Rest assured though, it will take much more than luck.

If you need luck to beat Lunatic, you're making mistakes somewhere.

Like I said, an 80% accurate attack can miss or a 2% crit can kill me. If I could actually save in the demo I would've beaten Chapter 1 by now.

Come to think of it, the demo would be the same if it were in Classic Mode...

If you need luck to beat Lunatic, you're making mistakes somewhere.

To be fair, you'll always need some luck on lunatic mode, unless you're only using Frederick (and even he doesn't have a 100% hit rate on all enemies I believe). But I do see your point.

I can't speak for the whole game, as I'm not one of the people who played the japanese version, but as for the demo chapters I believe the hardest thing is to balance your kills, making sure MU and Chrom get some levels in the first few chapters. As for some general advice, always play defensively. That seems to be a good decision most of the time in pretty much all FE games (Unless ofcourse there are thieves to kill or houses/villages/ally's to protect... the hurry the hell up!). It's also the reason why I'm choosing +Def for my MU.

Edited by Birdy