Just for clarification. There's NO WIFI BATTLES MODE.

shadowofchaos

There are NO ONLINE WIFI battles for Awakening. Just to make it clear.

A look at the game's English main and extras menu from a video solidified that for me. I highly doubt they added an online multiplayer under the communications menu in the world map in the English version of the game.

There is "Local Multiplayer" in the form of Dual-Tag in the Japanese version. But all you're getting is Streetpass and battle other people's teams via the AI.

Just letting you guys know.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I've always felt that this is the greatest limitation to porting games from the Japanese to English-speaking world.

In Japan, if I live out in, say, Ome-shi where maybe four people will own a 3DS that I'll run into on a regular basis, all it will take for me to get down to Tokyo where I can run into 30+ StreetPasses per day is 740JPY and about an hour of train. In the States (and sometimes even here in Asia), unless you live in an affluent metropolitan area such as New York or LA, the cost of you heading down to a concentration point as heavy as Tokyo is comparatively astronomical and far less convenient. I understand that it would take far more coding than is economical for the original Japanese release and far more reverse engineering than is perhaps feasible by American localisers, but focus on local multiplayer options as opposed to wifi multiplayer options are what have hindered hit games like Monster Hunter from flourishing in the West.

Not complaining, since I understand the economics and logistics of it, but observing that it is a major restriction for some games brought over.

What IS weird though is that they removed Dual-Tag. Maybe they realised that not many of us would run into one another? In that case, should be glad StreetPass team collection is still enabled since I intend to go to Tokyo later to collect an international cast.

Waifu Wars Online

Fuck Waifus, it's all about getting the best caps and skill combinations for the kids which is actually doable by just grinding and shifting classes as opposed to RNG abusing on a strict 39 max level ups.

Edited by Sirius

I've always felt that this is the greatest limitation to porting games from the Japanese to English-speaking world.

In Japan, if I live out in, say, Ome-shi where maybe four people will own a 3DS that I'll run into on a regular basis, all it will take for me to get down to Tokyo where I can run into 30+ StreetPasses per day is 740JPY and about an hour of train. In the States (and sometimes even here in Asia), unless you live in an affluent metropolitan area such as New York or LA, the cost of you heading down to a concentration point as heavy as Tokyo is comparatively astronomical and far less convenient. I understand that it would take far more coding than is economical for the original Japanese release and far more reverse engineering than is perhaps feasible by American localisers, but focus on local multiplayer options as opposed to wifi multiplayer options are what have hindered hit games like Monster Hunter from flourishing in the West.

Not complaining, since I understand the economics and logistics of it, but observing that it is a major restriction for some games brought over.

What IS weird though is that they removed Dual-Tag. Maybe they realised that not many of us would run into one another? In that case, should be glad StreetPass team collection is still enabled since I intend to go to Tokyo later to collect an international cast.

I think Nintendo is slowly starting to realize this, hence the improved online support in most of their recent first-party titles. Maybe they were afraid of wasting infrastructure to maintain a match server if the game proves to be not much of a hit over here? Pokemon and Mario Kart are proven worldwide winners, on the other hand.

Huh? Dual Tag removed? But... why? Where is this info from?

I don't think you can get a collection of MUs or something if you find other Japanese copies. I imagine this game will be language-locked, seeing how the JP version has lots of Japanese-specific settings (place of origin of MU, weapon names, team names, etc). I don't see the point in not including support for both Japanese and (half-width) Latin text right in the first place, though. If FE12 did it, why didn't this?

I think Nintendo is slowly starting to realize this, hence the improved online support in most of their recent first-party titles. Maybe they were afraid of wasting infrastructure to maintain a match server if the game proves to be not much of a hit over here? Pokemon and Mario Kart are proven worldwide winners, on the other hand.

You don't need to maintain any server for Dual Tag. It's a local multiplayer mode.

NOA did show much caution with FE13, yeah. They may seem to be actively pushing this game now, but months ago they didn't even announce the game at all, unlike NOE.

Edited by nocturnal YL

I don't think you can get a collection of MUs or something if you find other Japanese copies. I imagine this game will be language-locked, seeing how the JP version has lots of Japanese-specific settings (place of origin of MU, weapon names, team names, etc). I don't see the point in not including support for both Japanese and (half-width) Latin text right in the first place, though. If FE12 did it, why didn't this?

We'll see when it releases, but Mario Kart and Final Fantasy Theatrhythm provided me with plenty of Japanese StreetPass characters, races, Dark Notes, and Profilecards. Granted, these are nowhere near as complex as an RPG, but the possibility still exists since all stats and equipment really are, so far as computers are concerned, are numerical dataIDs which each language system can then just translate locally. For names, my 3DS is filled with Miis whose names are in Japanese characters.

I'm aware how games like Mario Kart 7 and StreetPass Mii Plaza can have data go between systems of different regions. I have my doubt on FE13 because of the huge release gap and the many seemingly incompatible things (that can work with some workarounds, like mapping any American place name to the "North America" setting in JP FE13, and just displaying any English text as is since JP FE13 has the English font in it anyway). Maybe it will work, after all... Yes, we don't know about that now.

I'm still curious about the missing Dual Tag feature. Where is that seen? Does the Communication menu have only five sub-items instead of six? Any screenshot/video?

They took out a voice option (I'd assume for each gender) and the entire "mute Avatar" option (which is almost the entire game's text redone). So they had space. Oh wait, maybe they filled that space with the Japanese audio...

Is Dual-Tag really taken out? It seems like speculation rather than fact.

Guys... come on...

The title says wifi. Dual tag isn't wifi, first of all.

Second, it's mentioned on Nintendos page for the game.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/RA8x8DpfGnpmGXJNA192lB0EY1KM5Eb2

Don't jump to conclusions.

>.>'''

Dual tag hasn't been removed, and there is no reason for it to have been.

Edited by L95

...Just as I thought. I was skeptical when I read this, especially since no one gave any proof on the removal of Dual Tag.

There is "Local Multiplayer" in the form of Dual-Tag in the Japanese version. But all you're getting is Streetpass and battle other people's teams via the AI.

I guess this is the line that caused the confusion. It has led us to think there is no Wi-Fi AND Dual Tag.

Much thanks for clearing it up, L95. Silly of me to not even think about finding counter-proof from the official site.