What if mages could only attack at 2 range?

Gold Vanguard

If the only change that was made to them was a nerf, of course they wouldn't be as effective as they are now.

Think, you dimwit.

EDIT: i am a moron who cannot spell

Edited by Integrity

Uhh, not really no, I mostly use them at 2 range myself. Although I use them at 1 range too, teehee. Oh, if this has anything to do with Archers being stuck at 2 range, I like them.

No. They would not be as effective. They would be weaker than they are now.

Of course, that isn't saying much. If you reduced the swordmaster crit bonus from 15 to 14, swordmasters wouldn't be as effective as they are now, same with reducing mounted units movement down to general-levels.

No, they would not be as effective. Archers/snipers are often criticized for only being able to attack indirectly and having little to no enemy phase value. Mages will suffer the same if magic was only usable at 2-range.

Edited by Birdy

If mages could only attack at 2 range, they would only be able to attack at 2 range.

I don't see the merit in this unless you want some sort of strange game balance or something.

way to be facetious and nitpicking

I think that mages would be a bit worse. While it's true that mages don't really want to get hit anyway, getting hit isn't that bad, because even when they're on low HP they can still have a player phase. So often it's okay for mages to get hit occasionally if it means they can deal a bit more damage. It depends a lot on the mage in question. Pent would be a lot worse, for instance, as would Etzel (since Etzel likes being able to enemy phase against flying dragons). Others, such as Lucius, would be practically unchanged, however.

Edited by Anouleth

Mages wouldn't be as used imo if they could only attack 2 spaces away.

Now while most people use Mages to attack 2 spaces all the time you normally won't let a Mage attack an Archer/Sniper from 2 spaces, normally you'll go up close for them. It would also make them even more frail on the enemy phase since they normally won't counterattack while Archers are generally built to be able to survive not being able to counterattack

• 2 weeks later...