EU or Australia imports from the US and Canada

Merric

So i don't really want to wait two months if I'm honest and i am considering importing to Europe from the US or Canada. Having never really done it before for much I would appreciate some advice of sites to use that have done well in the past with other US->EU imports. Anyone out there got any recommendations or warnings that would like to share?

Also I'm guessing that our Australian cousins might be in a similar situation so if anyone has any advice or sharable experience of US->AUS imports this might be the place to share it.

Bit of a long shot but nothing lost by asking.

Also apologies if there is a topic about this already up somewhere, i have either missed it or forgotten about it in the recent deluge of FE:A threads and info that have been posted.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm importing the Awakening bundle from Videogamesplus.ca after Onestep's recommendation, and they've been wonderful so far. They've responded to all my tweets asking questions about the bundle, the game's release and have been updating the situation on there pretty regularly.

I also emailed them for extra info twice, got emails back both times in a day or two, the first one was asking whether they'd be getting the bundle in, which they replied they were supplying stock and should have preorders up soon (Much like the Twitter response) while the second one was pretty informative, so I'll post it here.

Hello! Just a quick question, with the Fire Emblem 3DS bundle (My order number is Unicorns!), how long do you think it will take to arrive at my house in herpaderp, Australia? I return to school part time on the 4th (When I assume it'll be shipped to my location) so a rough timeframe will be helpful so I can plan to be home as much as I can around that date. (The local postmen are very lazy about parcels requiring signatures, they just leave a 'You weren't home' card without even checking!) My specific address is: YLISSEBITCHES And I'm within the Australia Post Express Delivery Network, which means I shouldn't have delays due to my locations being out of the way locally. Also, this is my first time importing a console to Australia, is there anything I should know? I know the 3DS itself is region locked, and the power cord will have a different head than the Australian version (I own an Australian Zelda 3DS currently, so the two 3DSes will probably share that one charger), and I know as the parcel worth is under $1000AUD, I won't have to pay duty/taxes. Is there any other important things I need to know? Thank you, Gemma
Hi Gemma' date=' This item would ship via DHL and delivery would be 2-5 business days. We lower the value of the item and ship it as a gift to help with customers. Sorry we are not sure about the charge you may need to purchase a step down converter. Also if you are purchasing a North American 3DS you can only play North American games as the consoles are region locked.

Thanks,

Steve

Customer Service Representative

VIDEOGAMESPLUS.CA

EDIT: Also on the price note, I paid a bit under $300 AUD/USD for the bundle, $100 of this was for the shipping, as it went by DHL. DHL is usually optional, but for bigger things it's mandatory. It makes it get here faster, and there's better insurance and all that too.

Edited by Wheels

So i don't really want to wait two months if I'm honest and i am considering importing to Europe from the US or Canada. Having never really done it before for much I would appreciate some advice of sites to use that have done well in the past with other US->EU imports. Anyone out there got any recommendations or warnings that would like to share?

Also I'm guessing that our Australian cousins might be in a similar situation so if anyone has any advice or sharable experience of US->AUS imports this might be the place to share it.

Bit of a long shot but nothing lost by asking.

Also apologies if there is a topic about this already up somewhere, i have either missed it or forgotten about it in the recent deluge of FE:A threads and info that have been posted.

As a recent importer, I can answer a few questions.

First of all, all 3DS hardware is pretty much the same, regardless of the Region. This means that it's perfectly safe to use a UK charger on a US 3DS in the UK or an EU charger in the EU.

Secondly, the e-shop. This is important because of the DLC for Awakening. To add funds to it, and simply use it at all, you'll need to buy a US gift card online. This is beacuse you don't have a US Credit/Debit card and so can't really add funds directly. You'll also need to fake a US zip-code. Just look one up. Any will do.

And finally, use VideoGamesPlus to buy any of your gear or games. I mention them a lot, but they're great.

hmmm, $300 is quite cheap.. maybe I'll get myself a bundle shipped to Straya.

EDIT: is it possible to get your 3DS modded to play inter-region games? I know you can mod consoles to do it, but might be a bit harder with a handheld...

Edited by Sw3Et

I bought something called "freeloader' for my Wii which allowed me to play the US Smash Bros Brawl on my PAL Wii, as I didn't want to wait half a year for the AUS release. Is there anything like that for 3ds?

Edited by Sw3Et

Nintendo take their fans for granted. They have some of the most loyal fans in the world, yet they don't do anything to keep them happy. They don't care how frustrated we get, as long as they get a bit more money in their pocket. One day people are going to stop being so loyal.

Many thanks for advice Wheels and Onestep - have emailed VGP to see what they say about shipping to the UK. I'm still open to any other suggestions as i wont be placing any order until next week anyway.

In fairness the timing of this is good, I have wanted a half decent excuse to get a 3ds XL and the delay to Awakening's EU launch has become that excuse.

So VGP are pretty awesome.

the tracking has my copy of the game sat just up the road from me presumably to be delivered tomorrow, not bad considering i placed the order on Friday. There are some UK based shops that couldn't ship something to me as quickly as this will hit me.

Many thanks for advice :)

Secondly, the e-shop. This is important because of the DLC for Awakening. To add funds to it, and simply use it at all, you'll need to buy a US gift card online. This is beacuse you don't have a US Credit/Debit card and so can't really add funds directly. You'll also need to fake a US zip-code. Just look one up. Any will do.

Be aware that most regions apply a online/download tax which will make you pay extra for downloading games. I think it's somewhere between 0 and 10% for most states, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. So a game of $39,99 can be anywhere between 39,99 (no tax) and $43,99 (10%).

I'm personally using Zip Code 19706 (Delaware City, New Castle) which has a 0% tax rate. Hope I helped somewhat!

the tracking has my copy of the game sat just up the road from me presumably to be delivered tomorrow, not bad considering i placed the order on Friday. There are some UK based shops that couldn't ship something to me as quickly as this will hit me.

That's good news. I'm also importing the game + a 3DS. I placed the order yesterday though, so I guess it will take more time. It hasn't been confirmed yet, obviously they're not working during the weekend.

As long as the charger can handle the higher volts it's fine. Output should be identical as long as it is for 3ds so that is no concern, but better check the charger input limits. Otherwhise there is a risk of fried stuff

I heard that any Visa/Mastercard could do the trick, was that wrong?

I heard that any Visa/Mastercard could do the trick, was that wrong?

Tried that, but it didn't work for me. I think it was because it didn't recognise my adress/postal code/zip code since I don't live in the US or Canada. Or something like that.

^You could probably just fake a zipcode if that's what's not working for you.

Nintendo take their fans for granted. They have some of the most loyal fans in the world, yet they don't do anything to keep them happy. They don't care how frustrated we get, as long as they get a bit more money in their pocket. One day people are going to stop being so loyal.

It's a multinational corporation. At the end of the day, all corporations just care about money. Other corporations aren't that much different really.

Just tried to purchase 10$ with my visa and it worked (I live in France) without having to fake a zip code

Huh, I guess you can. Thanks for the info! But you'll still need to fake one when you want to download a game though.

I'm also from France, I'm glad it works with a Visa. And as for Spotpass, will it work properly in France with a US 3DS?

It should. I'm from the Netherlands and I get Spotpass updates with my Professor Layton game, shouldn't be any different with Fire Emblem I think =].

WHAT?! You've already got tracking?? I pre-ordered my bundle AGES ago and it still says "processing". I seriously hope something hasn't gone wrong.

WHAT?! You've already got tracking?? I pre-ordered my bundle AGES ago and it still says "processing". I seriously hope something hasn't gone wrong.

yessir. I had DHL tracking available from the moment the package was marked as "shipped" on the VGP website. Give them a ring, the guy i spoke to was really good and got me sorted out quickly.