Lul at Ike using Ragnell Ranged

someonewhodied

Excuse: "Funding".

They weren't gonna make an animation just for one sword that you won't see in the main game.

Copying and pasting the Amatsu throwing was probably the easiest thing to do.

Does the Excalibur spell animation still consist of a blade or multiple blades of wind, like it historically has? If so, that could've been a feasible fallback for emulating the Ragnell's traditional shockwave. I'm not particularly bothered either way; hell, I think I might prefer the whole sword-throwing thing out of the sheer hilarity of throwing (what used to be) a 20-weight sword.

Does the Excalibur spell animation still consist of a blade or multiple blades of wind, like it historically has? If so, that could've been a feasible fallback for emulating the Ragnell's traditional shockwave. I'm not particularly bothered either way; hell, I think I might prefer the whole sword-throwing thing out of the sheer hilarity of throwing (what used to be) a 20-weight sword.

Excalibur is a Tornado surrounding the target now, it's sort of like Fimbulvetr without the ice at the end.

Excalibur is a Tornado surrounding the target now, it's sort of like Fimbulvetr without the ice at the end.

aw man you had one job, IS

this is slightly more depressing than Valflame's newfound lack of its TRIANGLE OF DOOM

this is slightly more depressing than Valflame's newfound lack of its TRIANGLE OF DOOM

You obviously haven't seen the new Holsety yet.

Little hint, Valflame is probably the best looking Holy Spell in the game, and I'll leave it at that.

Err, no. The rage. Can't stand it.

HOLSETY BECAME CONE OF COLD!

Did they give something epic to one of the most known Holy Weapons in FE4? No.

THEY TURNED IT INTO ****ING CONE. OF. ****ING. COLD.

It looks EXACTLY like it came out of WoW. Right there in EVERY MAGE EVER's SPELLBOOK.

CONE OF DAMN COLD!

RAGE.

Now excuse me, while I go Nowi critical on something.

Excuse: "Funding".

They weren't gonna make an animation just for one sword that you won't see in the main game.

Copying and pasting the Amatsu throwing was probably the easiest thing to do.

Yeah I can tell, considering that every spotpass/dlc character just has a generic My Unit face.

If you ask me, the lack of a triangle is an improvement. The lack of a shift to a solar background on the other hand...

I think most of the spell animations are pretty disappointing in this game, they could have made them look much better. Like they did in RD.

Edited by Boo Mansion

You obviously haven't seen the new Holsety yet.

Little hint, Valflame is probably the best looking Holy Spell in the game, and I'll leave it at that.

Err, no. The rage. Can't stand it.

HOLSETY BECAME CONE OF COLD!

Did they give something epic to one of the most known Holy Weapons in FE4? No.

THEY TURNED IT INTO ****ING CONE. OF. ****ING. COLD.

It looks EXACTLY like it came out of WoW. Right there in EVERY MAGE EVER's SPELLBOOK.

CONE OF DAMN COLD!

RAGE.

Now excuse me, while I go Nowi critical on something.

a) if you seriously thought my post was anything other than a joke, then pffffffffahahahahahahahahaha

b) I've seen Forseti and it looks fairly decent. I mean, it's pretty clear they weren't trying to take FE10's over-the-top approach with spell animations, and there aren't exactly many ways one can illustrate a gale-force wind. Also, keep in mind that it's been a few thousand years in-universe since FE4 and the power of all the Crusader weapons isn't what it once was, so it kind of makes sense for the spell animations to not be as over-the-top as in the past.

(the FE4 Mjolnir animation was kind of shit anyway so that's no great loss)

This game doesn't look graphically better than Radiant Dawn. No camera movement for spells, doesn't have scenes for special situations like shooting arrows through fences. But Awakening is also where staff and dancing animations are back to their old glory. I guess I'll still like it better than RD.

I like Book of Naga better. It looks similar, but being light magic, it looks more spectacular. Valflame has exploding flames, Naga has exploding rainbow smoke.

I think most of the spell animations are pretty disappointing in this game, they could have made them look much better. Like they did in RD.

They clearly didn't want long animations bringing everything to a halt. Imagine Astra + a 10 second legendary spell. It'd be just ridiculous.

This game doesn't look graphically better than Radiant Dawn.

I think Awakening's active movement around the battlefield and different came angles trumps any of the special longer animations from Radiant Dawn. It just makes the battles in general much funner to watch and make them seem more like actual battles than units taking turns hitting each other.

They clearly didn't want long animations bringing everything to a halt. Imagine Astra + a 10 second legendary spell. It'd be just ridiculous.

Yeah I was thinking of posting about that. For example in the Light vs. Dark DLC you can go up against Ishtar who has Mjolnir and Astra.

If you have a unit with Mjolnir and Astra Paired up with another unit with Mjolnir and are fast enough to Ishtar you can potentially have 17 casts of it(12 from your units and 5 from Ishtar) in the same round of combat, that would be ludicrous if the animation was as long as previous Legendary Weapons.

This was also PoR and RD's biggest flaw when it came to animations. PoR's was stiff as fuck while RD's animations were way too long, especially when the Mastery Skills came into play. Astra is the biggest offender of this.

I think Awakening's active movement around the battlefield and different came angles trumps any of the special longer animations from Radiant Dawn. It just makes the battles in general much funner to watch and make them seem more like actual battles than units taking turns hitting each other.

I think Radiant Dawn's animations are pretty dynamic, especially when compared to FE1/2/3/6/7/8/11/12's "attack, go back, wait for the enemy to strike back" animations, although certain classes (dragon laguz, for example) do suffer this problem.

It also doesn't have Awakening's problem with character models clipping with each other. Sometimes the characters will awkwardly move away from each other after an attack because they end up standing at the same point - certain combinations, like Generals attacking mounted units, will result in this.

Awakening did make some good use of camera angles, although there are some flaws there. I don't like the fact that its first-person view doesn't follow the player unit's face direction at all, making charge attacks look like the camera quickly zooming into the enemy and then zooming out, despite the attacker never having looked backwards at all. And the default camera is often blocked by trees in outdoor battles.

Radiant Dawn has better character models (in battle, lol at no feet/Awakening knights) and cooler (if over the top) spell animations

Awakening wins most of the other stuff

both games are light years ahead of the rest of the series animation-wise though