Weee, got it today, quick question

sunshineYON

Those of you who played both the Japanese and English versions, are there any major changes other than the obvious now-it's-in-English change? I am a purest so I need to know these things! Also just for curiosity's sake. Thanks! :)

Chrom = Chrome to me -_-... I liked Krom better, because then I can pretend I'm playing the prequel to Conan the Barbarian. I'm hella weird like that, yeah.

Japanese voices are available you know... And why didn't you import it if you're a "purist"? OAo

I don't understand Japanese. I'm not super anal about English voices; I was, but was proven wrong with Kid Icarus: Uprising (Great English voice work in that game). I'm mostly worried about actual content change due to cultural/random reasons. Stuff gets lost in translation, that's fine, but when stuff gets taken out and altered/defiled ala 4kids style, then it becomes a bummer.

Also, there is Japanese voices? Hot dog, that's kinda sweet. Japanese voices get taken out of a lot of games due to space limitations or if the developers/publishers don't find it necessary to include them in a foreign release. This would not fly at all if it was a foreign film released in English speaking countries though. Including the origin language is a step up in maturing the medium.

Nowi is slightly less paedo-tastic I guess? So that is probably a bummer if that was your thing.

Please do elaborate...

Edited by Cucco Jump

There are a lot of dialogue changes, but apparently nothing on the gameplay level other than a slightly modified (and generally accelerated) download order and DLC being available in packs.

They make it clear through her dialogue that she actually is more mature than she looks. It is an improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, that's fine. I assume you are referring to Nono or whatever her new name is? That's a cultural thing that can't be avoided. I'm neutral about the change. I was worried that features might have been taken out, i.e. marriage with certain characters. I'm a completionist, so I like doing all that a game has to offer.

There are a lot of dialogue changes, but apparently nothing on the gameplay level other than a slightly modified (and generally accelerated) download order and DLC being available in packs.

One of my worst fears is Japanese only FE characters would be scrapped because they might fear the player going, "Who is this? I've never seen this character in FE 7,8,9..." Order in which they are released is irrelevant.

EDIT: I think my fears are justified, haha, considering they took out a lot from FE12, i.e. the whole game.

Edited by Cucco Jump

The english version is just fine. Japanese voices tend to annoy me, they sound cliche and all the girls are so squeaky.... ugh. Sorry just voicing my opinion.

That's why options are great! Yes, the squeaky super cute voice is very annoying. I tend to prefer Japanese voices because most of the time, they are more professional/they put more work/emphasis on them then dub relatively speaking. The main reason I would prefer Japanese voices in this game is solely because Sawashiro Miyuki, my favorite voice actress and Tomokazu Sugita, the voice of Kyon is in it.

Well they actually did keep Roy in the DLC of Fire Emblem: Awakening even though he was a Japanese Fire Emblem exclusive...Though he was in Melee. They also kept the other Japanese exclusive Fire Emblem characters like Alm, Celica, Seliph, Deidre, etc. If you're worried that they got rid of those characters, then you shouldn't be since they're still in the DLC chapters.

Also, I personally think the English voices are much better than the Japanese voices because they aren't as annoying to me.

The DLC kept all of the past characters thus far, but whether we get the Spotpass teams remains to be seen, since they are prioritizing the characters NA audiences are familiar with. Any weapon that references a past character still references the characters. In Spotpass when you set up your profile you have options equal to what was included in the Japanese games so if you wanted your character could be from Jugdral. Also, Chrom has always been Chrom and Krom was simply the fan name as oftentimes the official names can be nonsensical.

Some of the more perverted supports have been toned down a little. There's still implied walking-in-on-each-other-bathing that goes on from time to time but Cordelia no longer talks about being a flat-chest, Nowi is less childish, Gregor's not as crude (but he's still pretty touchy actually!). Chrom's "lowborn" experience with Gaius was changed so now it's just humourously violent in a bizarre way instead of the red light district thing it was before... Honestly I'm happy with the changes.

Also, I personally think the English voices are much better than the Japanese voices because they aren't as annoying to me.

English voiceset does not have Japanese Lissa and is therefore objectively better.

English voiceset does not have Japanese Lissa and is therefore objectively better.

I think Lissa's absurd cutesy, weird, cage-skirt wearing, self goes well with her super little girl Japanese voice. Not saying it isn't annoying.

The main reason I would prefer Japanese voices in this game is solely because Sawashiro Miyuki, my favorite voice actress and Tomokazu Sugita, the voice of Kyon is in it.

Hahaha.

Another voice actor nut, I see? XD

If you want to see the script in Japanese translated into English translated by a crappy amateur translator, you should take a look at this thread:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=35711

There are respective playists for No commentary and with commentary.

Lol, I'm testing out the English voices as well. If they are only going to grunt and say simple phrases like yes and no, I don't know why I got so worked up about the voices. Though Tomokazu Sugita's Chrom grunts are still dreamy.