Because Trying Times Are Times For Trying - Let's Play "The 7th Saga"!

FionordeQuester

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...well, that might still be an option actually, once the next vote on a partner comes. For now though, you may want to spoiler tag that baby (or, everything after "Lux for the"), if you don't mind.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Hmmm...well, that might still be an option actually, once the next vote on a partner comes. For now though, you may want to spoiler tag that baby (or, everything after "Lux for the"), if you don't mind.

wha

Why spoiler.

And you can only do the glitch if Lux is the main character.

And even with near or max stats the last boss can still potentially one shot ULTRA LUX.

I wanted the Lux glitch to be a secret, that's why. But whatever, I'm not going to make it a big deal...

As for one-shotting Lux...I'm doubtful of that. The final boss only has 600 Attack to start with, so if we're talking 999 Defense, he should be dealing, at most, 253 Damage, assuming he scores a critical.

• 3 weeks later...

Mini-Update #6-How Does Everyone Else Deal With the Dunes of Despair?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!002.png

So shall I quickly go over some Dowaine Path stuff? One thing you'll want to remember is that Valsu is a glass-jawed character, so what you'll want to do is to have Kamil take whatever action he takes first (I use a B. Power with him), and then respond accordingly. If this mook attacks only Kamil, great, heal him up, and take care of business from there. If he doesn't attack Kamil, then use a Star Rune on Valsu, because you KNOW that he's going to attack someone before the fight ends. Also, be mindful of Blizzard2, as that can seriously kill our Valsu if you're not careful.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!004.png

Now then, here's where things start getting really different. Remember how helpless we were as Esuna to do anything to most of the new monsters? Well part of that was because of the declining power of Magic at this part of the game, and part of it was because of how durable the enemies were. The Mutant for example, was practically a cockroach with his huge HP and high defense to everything, while the Sages have extremely haxed magic. So obviously Esuna's not doing anything...

Now, the physical characters on the other hand...now that's different! I mean, Lux is still kind of stuck since he has to deal with many more Mutants, but the rest will be facing up against Sages who, as I went over two updates ago, can easily be one-shotted with B. Power and a bit of luck (that is, their Speed is usually about 20+ higher than slower characters, and they may survive even a B.Powered shot).

BUT! There's another way. Remember the trick we pulled on those Spideks at Patrof? Where their average speed was drastically lowered, and they couldn't prevent running as easily? Well the same can be pulled here, with an Agility boosted PC having either 60% or 80% running chance! So really, in spite of what a big deal I made about Sages last update, you can CAN take both of the weaker groups (1x Defeat/1x Sage and 2x Titans/1x Sage respectively). In fact, Valsu is the only one who's truly helpless against these new foes should he be the PC, and he, of course, can run fairly easily.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!015.png

Now then, if you happen to be Olvan, Kamil, or Lejes, you'll want to do some castle raiding before Padal in order to geta new 15,200G weapon found at Padal. And once you're there...

7thSaga-TownOfPadal.png

Well, first of all, we have business in that big blue building there, and the apprentice, if he/she's inside, should be seen on the first floor right as you walk in. But more importantly, get a load of this!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!052.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!018.png

Fire Sword and B. Agilities! You already know what the latter are, but the Fire Sword is one we're talking since it allows us to more easily one-shot Sages, and also helps out during our next grinding spot...

And yes, it's a little expensive (especially for Lejes), but if that's too pricey for you, you could always settle for the Fear Sword, which is only 7 points weaker. Anyways, once you're done at the shops, head on up to the 2nd floor, enter here...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!053.png

And talk to the man that you will find in here. We'll not go indepth here due to this being a simple mini-update, but as long as you're here, you may as well take care of that now. And if you really want to be spoiled for the next update...

he talks about how he'll give us the Moon Rune if we kill Serpent, and doing it before killing her will make it a bit easier to get the Moon Rune from him

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!020.png

After you've done your business there, go into the room just to the left to get an almighty Recovry (or, "Life Recover" as the game calls it)!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!021.png

Now then, this here is another split on the route. From here on out, Lejes, Olvan, Kamil, and Valsu all just sprint across the continent to Pandam's Ring the same way Esuna sprinted across it to reach Dowaine's Fire Cloak. Lux and Wilme however...well, Lux will still want to go to Pang to get Vacuums, and even Wilme will want to go there for various reasons. That said, their route still differs significantly from the others.

See, I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but Vacuum resistance is key to taking advantage of our next grinding spot, so we need something to make up for Lux and Wilme's inability to wear it. What is this something?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!024.png

:dry:, ok, you in the corner, stop laughing. I'm telling you, we're going to be wrecking some serious poo-doo with this!

Alright, but in all seriousness, these things will instantly nullify all Vacuum attacks the same way the Mirror nullifies Petrify, though sadly they don't reflect the attack back at your foes like Mirrors do. Still, I think you can see why I want these. The only problem?

World%20Map%20(5th-Special%20Part%202).p

These fabled items aren't exactly within spitting distance of us. However...this area is kind of strange in that, while the enemies here have already invented about three different ways of bending us over their knee, there are also a lot more trash mobs that we can actually kill.

Plus, while I give Wilme some flak sometimes, he is absolutely incredible at this point in the game. Even as underleveled as we are, there is literally not a single encounter where an average Wilme doesn't have at least a 60% chance of running from the fight! And plus, his 50% Fire Resistance actually really neutralizes an otherwise crippling Magic disadvantage against one of the enemies we could face...

So of course, we're using the slowpoke known as Lux instead :sigh:. Though, I will admit, my testing wasn't perfect. For making these strategies, I used a previous save that got me a Level 18 Elnard Lux that had around 3-4 points more in each stat than a typical Level 20 Lux would be. And of course, a Level 19 Esuna is way more durable than Valsu would ever be at Level 12-13, Elnard or otherwise.

However, to make up for this, I would often have Esuna at only half health, and for all the occasions where I though Valsu would've died from a blow that Esuna ended up surviving, I would waste a turn by using a Potion 2 on Esuna. In this way, I wasted a turn healing in the same way I would've wasted a turn using an M. Water to revive Valsu...

So because of that, I believe that, if everything is done right, you should still only have a 15% chance of dying even as Lux. And yes, I tested that, and with 20 test runs no less. So let's get started, shall we?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!054.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!025.png

First we have the Soidek's. They look cool...and that's about it really. They are completely bland, boring enemies, and even as underleveled as you are, they're fairly simple. Just have Lux Star Rune himself, and if it looks like Valsu's only getting attacked by one guy, use the Star Defense on him as well. Otherwise, have him use Agility on Lux, and let him die. After that, it's just another game of getting Power on Lux, and then punching your way to victory...

And yes, for the sake of saving time and resources, Lux will actually be winning some of these fights. So to that guy who asked if Lux had any other option than running...sorry, seems I was wrong :P:!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!050.png

Well, partially at least. That Mutant there is still as durable as a cockroach, and packs the punch of a cannon, so don't you dare try to beat him! In fact, with the addition of the R. Demon, who's also packing a multi-hit attack, this encounter is even MORE dangerous now!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!038.png

And here's the B. Night. Guess which attack he can instantly kill you with? If you're guessing Vacuum, then nope!

Vacuum2.gif

It's Vacuum2 instead :facepalm:! A bit unfair, but, still not too bad. The dude can also buff his defense and blast you with ICE2, HOWEVER...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!055.png

The B.Night is also fairly fragile despite it's appearance, so a B. Powered Lux can easily 2HKO this beasty. As such, this is another encounter I tend to fight rather than run away from. Still, the guy CAN use Defense1, so I'd still get Agility on Lux before putting Power on him, just in case.

So that leaves just one last monster, the bane of all who dare tread the Dunes of Despair (yes, moreso than even the Sages and Mutants). To give you an idea, imagine a Sage that's slightly, slightly less powerful with magic, but makes up for it by having almost four times the HP and the ability to potentially kill many of the weaker apprentices with just one attack. And they can appear in groups of three rather than just two!

Scary huh? It's because of these guys that I've actually made a bit of a trick for this. See down here?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!035.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!056.png

This is the absolute FARTHEST SPOT you can go before crossing into the zone with those monsters I spoke of, marked on the map below...

Danger.png

You step so much as a TOENAIL over that beautiful red line, and they'll make a Banana Sunrise out of you! So what I like to do is wait in the exact spot I'm showing you in the two pictures above until the Upper Left sphere of the Magic Ball is clear of enemies, and then make a mad dash to Polasu. As for the big badboy's themselves...

Flames!.gif

Body%20Slam!.gif

Fireball.gif

Meet Wilme's big brothers, the Flames! And no, I could not find a better way of capturing that Fireball...sorry...

At any rate though, these guys also have enough Speed that even an Agility boosted Lux only has a 30% chance of running away, so obviously your prognosis for these guys is not so good. However, should you get just two of these guys...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!057.png

Well, your chances of death are still good...but believe it or not, you actually can take these these guys.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!058.png

See, for however threatening these guys are otherwise, they have a much lower resistance to Vacuum than the Sage and Mutant, so when calculating for how likely a B. Agilitied Lux is to hit these guys, your odds of instantly killing one come out to around 50%. Not terribly good, however, I still do this for the following reasons...

1) These guys, like the Brain's actually had their experience drastically increased in this game, from around 500 EXP. in the original version, to 991 EXP. in this version, so killing both nets you around 1982 EXP.

2) Lux's chances of running from these guys are still only 30%, meaning it takes him from around 3-4 turns on average to run.

3) Getting the group down to just one Flame basically guarantees Lux's survival.

So with that in mind, I choose to take my chances by having Valsu immediately Agility Lux, and then having him Vacuum whoever didn't attack if Valsu gets macked with either a physical or magical attack on that turn (and if he doesn't, have Lux Vacuum anyways). And should one of them dodge the attack or whatever, revive Valsu, hope you guys don't immediately get wiped out with a Multi-hit attack, and go from there. If you DO land your blow, get either heal yourself or put Defense1 on yourself (depending on whether or not Lux got hurt), and stall out the remaining Flame. Be sure to keep your HP above 118 or so just in case it casts FIRE2!

Also, keep track of the Flame's MP. It only has 200, and the MP costs for it's spells are as follows...

Firebird-14 MP

Fireball-32 MP

Fire 2- 12 MP

He probably won't run out of MP by the time you simply dodge one of his attacks and suck him up with Vacuum, but you wanna be thorough, right?

This, of course, does not always work out, but, what can you do?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!059.png

As for this group, it's not much more threatening than a single Flame. One thing I didn't mention about the Soidiek before is that they have only an 20%, so even this fight should be fairly easy to handle.

The only other encounter worth mentioning is this one here, and even then only to point out the obvious (it's dangerous, so run darnit!).

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!039.png

And that would be that! It may seem too dangerous to be worth the walk, but in spite of how I made it seem, the dangerous encounters shouldn't actually be that common. There is an S. Brain encounter I left out, but those guys are so painfully easy to run from that they're not even worth mentioning.

In addition, I left out a lot of the trash mobs. Taking those into account, only 25% of the encounters before that Danger Zone I mentioned even have a chance of killing you if you do it right. And even in the Flame zone, you should generally only run into around 2-3 encounters if you do that trick I mentioned. So, as I said, the chances of you getting killed should only be around 15%...

Still, if you have any questions, be sure to ask! Have a nice night, and Godspeed!

MONSTERS THAT WE FOUGHT TODAY

*Soidiek           Exp:   550      Gold:  250      Class: 0    *
Stats    Resists         Spells          Drops
---------------    ------------    ------------    ------------
MaxHP     250      Thunder   20    (None)          Opal     1/8
MaxMP       0      Fire      20     
Power     110      Ice       20     
Guard     160      Vacuum    20     
Magic      57      Debuff    20     
Speed      71  

*B.Night    Exp:   771      Gold:  350      Class: 0    *
Stats    Resists         Spells          Drops
MaxHP       140    Thunder   30    Heal2           (None)
MaxMP       120    Fire      30    Defense1 
Power   120>140    Ice       60    Ice2 
Guard       140    Vacuum    60    Vacuum2 
Magic        81    Debuff    30     
Speed        81
*Flame    Exp: 506>991    Gold: 240>450   Class: 0    *
Stats    Resists    Spells          Drops
MaxHP   210>400    Thunder   30    Fire2           (None)
MaxMP       200    Fire      95    Fireball 
Power   120>140    Ice        0    Firebird 
Guard       120    Vacuum    40     
Magic        86    Debuff    30     
Speed        90[/spoiler]    

• 1 month later...

The 7th Saga Episode 7: Reminiscence (Part 1)

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!096.png

Hola Senors! Ustedes miran por unas computadoras? Si? Muy bien! La hora es la hora de gran viaja de Esuna para...

Esuna(small).pngEsuna: ...

...alright, alright fine. Sheesh :Murdock:...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!001.png

Anyways, no, I do not speak Spanish, as awesome as it would be. But I DO happen to have a Black Belt in monster extermination, so let us put that to use, shall we? After restocking on some Vacuums and M.Waters and the like? Now then, as you may recall, our next destination after procuring the Fire Robe and Ring (or Harps) was to go to a town called Luze. But first...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!004.png

We must go through the Cave of Laosu, straight to the east of Telaine! What shall we find there? Well first, let's take care of some of the flavor text so that we don't have too much at once to sift through later, shall we? First off, Telaine...since I haven't really gone over this yet, let's explain the situation here in Telaine...

Woman.pngTelaine is a country of natural resources.

knight.pngThis is the only country where the ore necessary for making arms and armor is produced.

Soldier.pngThe country is normally peaceful and orderly.

So, Telaine is pretty well off...or at least it was, until...

Man.pngProduction of ore recently increased.

Old%20Man.pngThe ore deposits around here are drying up. We need to find a new mine.

So that's already bad enough. But on top of that...

knight.pngBelaine retaliated because we increased the price of ore. We didn't have a choice, since we were running out of the ore deposit. They don't care whether we have a problem or not. They are only interested in themselves.

Item%20Merchant.pngWe can't avoid a war. When war begins, the economy of the entire continent will suffer. Stock up on goods and be prepared.

King.pngI didn't think the King of Belaine would be so unreasonable.

Yes, this would be the King by the way, in case you wanted to know what he looked like.

Master.png2x Masters (as I call them): I'm ready to fight for the King.

But enough of that nonsense, where can we get that rune?

alien.pngI've heard that the people of Luze, an ancient civilization, respected the Sky Rune dedicated to their palace. Then the land was utterly destroyed by the Dragon. You'll find the ruins of the palace on the Islands of Beore, to the southeast. I hear a Dragon still lives there.

Okey doke then! And no, the game doesn't tell you exactly how to solve this problem. In fact, curiously enough, you're not even required to solve it, but...we can. And we will, later on. In any case though, nobody else in Belaine or Telaine really have anything new to say, though Belaine does at least have some amusing Weapon Merchant dialogue, because as one Belainian says...

Soldier.pngWe have many skilled sword makers in this country. Go and ask them to make one for you.

In other words, there are tons and tons of Weapon shops in Belaine, most of them with unique dialogue. First one...

Armor%20Merchant.pngI'm a blacksmith. I forge swords and armor out of ore from Telaine.

Old%20Man.pngBottom Row, Far Left Shop: It took me three years to make this sword. Can you tell that it is great?

No

Old%20Man.pngNo? You don't know what to look for in a sword.

Yes

Old%20Man.pngGood. I will make a sacrifice and sell it to you for 5000 G. Are you interested?

No to 2nd

Old%20Man.pngToo bad! You could have had a great deal.

Yes to 2nd

Old%20Man.pngThe name of this sword shall be Muramasa. Take good care of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
MuraSW     Pow: 26   5000  --OKJV-  Buy in Belaine for 5000G

A sword that's...average...but can be used by Valsu!...who has no business ever using physicals anyways, so, that's kind of a bust. Still, at least his wife is funny...

Hooded%20Lady.pngHe acts like a child trying to make a toy.

Gotta wonder what quirks this guy had in the Japanese version :sigh:...Speaking of quirks, the other two blacksmiths have a rather interesting theme...

Old%20Man.pngNext Shop to the Right: Hmmm... This is a great sword. It'll transcend all swords not yet made. If you are buying, I'll sell it for a special price of 4000 G.

No

Old%20Man.pngAre you sure you won't regret it later?

Yes

Old%20Man.pngThank you. Enjoy the sword!

Oh golly gee! What could it be?!

ZnteSW      Pow: 2    100  --OKJ--  Buy in Belaine for 4000G
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

...o.0...LLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!

Armor%20Merchant.png2nd Weapon Shop from the Right:I made this sword. Will you buy it for 1000 G?

No

Armor%20Merchant.pngI'm disappointed, but it's alright.

Yes

Armor%20Merchant.pngTidal Sword shall be the name of this sword.

TidalSW    Pow: 18   1000  --OKJ--  Buy in Belaine for 1000G
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not nearly the loudmouth that the last guy was, but infinitely more talented. And his kid likes him too!

Child.pngWhen I grow up, I'll be a blacksmith like my father and make the strongest sword in the world.

Yep, that's your Aesop here folks...

though the sword still isn't very good...

. That aside, the rest is just more badly localized flavor text that you can skip by “Ctrl + F” keying “Wigwam”

TELAINE

Armor%20Merchant.pngI'm a blacksmith. I forge swords and armor out of ore from Telaine.

knight.pngWe will never face a war.

Soldier.pngI'm off duty today.

Soldier.png2x Soldiers: Being a soldier is not a good idea.

:XD:

warrior.pngI'm looking for employment.

Soldier.pngMany soldiers came from Padal, in the West.

Notice how inconsistent the game is in it's grammar. Sometimes, when writing a cardinal direction like “west” or “northeast”, sometimes the game capitalizes the first letter, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's “West” or “Northeast”, and sometimes it's just “southeast” or “north”. It's a minor detail, but you'd think a script as short as this would have some more, I don't know, editors or something?

Soldier.png6x Soldiers: We are soldiers under Commander Prosa.

Prosa is the guy I mentioned in the “Dunes of Despair” mini-update.

Soldier.png2x Soldiers: Stop! You can't go inside the castle.

Soldier.png3x Soldiers: ......

Soldier.pngDon't bother me.

Woman.pngThe castle is always clean and beautiful, and I'm proud of my work.

Soldier.pngI had training in Padal.

BELAINE

knight.pngThis is the industrial nation of Belaine.

Woman.pngWe manufacture many types of weapons and armor.

Item%20Merchant.pngEverything is more expensive now because the price of ore produced in Telaine increased.

Woman.pngThe arms and armor we produce are sent to Brush, which is a large town west of here.

Hooded%20Lady.pngWe used to be on good terms with Telaine, which is on the northern continent. But now we have a problem.

Child.pngOur goods are sold around the world. Isn't that great?

:(:...so innocent...and so oblivious.

Master.pngThe country in the North is Telaine. They have the necessary ore for making weapons.

Soldier.pngWe have many skilled sword makers in this country. Go and ask them to make one for you.

Soldier.pngThe King is angry because Telaine increased the price of ore.

Soldier.pngIf the situation does not quickly improve, we will be involved in a war with Telaine.

Soldier.pngYou won't have a problem finding a weapon in this country.

Woman.pngYou look different from the other soldiers.

Soldier.pngThe best way to become a soldier is to undergo training in Padal and that's exactly what I did.

Soldier.pngKeep traveling to the northwest and you'll reach Padal.

Soldier.pngDo you know about the man who lives here? He has the skill to create Muramasa, a sword for man that even a woman can use.

Note that Esuna cannot in fact use this weapon :rolleyes:.

alien.pngI miss my home town.

Soldier.pngHis majesty will recieve your call.

King.pngWhat are they trying to do by increasing the price of ore?

DOWAINE (where we got the Fire Cloak)

Woman.pngThis is the village of Dowaine.

knight.pngPrices are getting higher lately.

warrior.pngThe evil power of the monster is stronger lately

...huh :blink:?

Item%20Merchant.pngGoods are scarce in the area because of the dispute between Belaine and [/b]Telaine[/b]

knight.pngHave you heard of a dinosaur sighting at Lake Hargu? To tell you the truth, I've seen it.

Nonsense, the rumor is unfounded and stupid. Stop being unfounded and stupid :mellow:.

knight.pngThe largest town on the continent is Brush, located west of this town.

And by that, he means it's on the other side of the fricken continent, west of even Pandam, inaccessable except by walking around the many mountains on this continent. “Located west” indeed...

knight.png...it's my dream to go there one day and find a job.

:huh:...k, good luck with that.

Man.pngThe Rune? I've never heard of it. You might find something in Belaine or Telaine, to the north.

Tetujin%20Warrior.pngI'VE ENCOUNTERED MANY TETUJINS, BUT NONE OF US REMEMBER OUR PAST. IT APPEARS THAT WE LOSE OLD MEMORIES AS WE ACQUIRE NEW ONES.

Hooded%20Lady.pngMy son always brings home something strange.

And now for the final NPC, a unique one at that...the son himself.

Child(big).pngExcuse me, sir? I have something nice if you pay me 100 G.

No

Child(big).pngWhy not? Darn it!

No money

Child(big).pngYou should have told me you didn't have money.

Yes

Child(big).pngHere, <random item> is yours. I'll let you know when I find a valuable item again.

When I say "random item", I mean that he can give you...

In-Game Items        Full Name
                  -----------------------------------------
                  Potn 1               Potion 1
                  Potn 2               Potion 2
                  Potn 3               Potion 3
                  MHerb 1              MP Herb 1
                  Antid                Antidote
                  B Power              Bottle of Power
                  B Fire               Bottle of Fire
                  B Ice                Bottle of Ice
                  Opal                 Opal
                  Pearl                Pearl
                  TranqSW              Tranquility Sword

...All this stuff here. And of course, it's all junk EXCEPT for those Potion 3's (which restore ALL of your HP, no matter what!). And while it's supposed to be random, there's a neat trick you can do where, if you buy 9 of everything except Potion 3's, you can rig it so you can eventually get Potion 3's without wasting any money.

The reason this works is because, if you have 9 items, the child will simply tell you that you have too many, and will not sell you whatever he was going to give you. In addition, all of this stuff only costs 100G, so if you're super OCD about your Gold situation, you can simply buy every Potion 3 from him at 100G rather than 400G, as you would normally have to do.

That aside, something interesting to note. Remember all the way back in the first update, when Wilme was wandering around in some village, scaring people away before Lemele recruited him? Well, go back there, if you feel like it, and try to guess where he was.

Got it yet? Yes, that village was actually Dowaine of all places! And while everyone else seems to have spontaneously gotten amnesia since then...

If Wilme

Child(big).pngHow frightful he is! I want to stay away from him.

This guy apparently succumbs to a different kind of neurological disorder! Heck, I don't even need Contaminant's help to know that this was much more natural in the Japanese version. Just looking at the punctuation in the text dump was enough!

Wigwam

And there we go. We have a cave called the Cave of Laosu to go to and we will go there :mellow:.

7thSaga-CaveToBoereIsland-1.png

7thSaga-CaveToBoereIsland-2.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!007.png

Oddly enough, the encounters from here to Luze are actually easier than the ones in the Dunes of Despair, if only because you only encounter 1 Sage at a time, and none of the stupidly overpowered enemies like Black Knights, Flames, or Mutants.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!008.png

That said, killing them is still not either safe or worth the time it takes, so away we run from all things! Except, perhaps, for these guys below...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!010.png

These are the Platers!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!011.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!012.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!013.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!101.png

Their shtick is that they hit really hard, and have a ton of defence...and that's about it. And, they only have 20% Vacuum resistance, so they're actually relatively easy to deal with (well, as far as 7th Saga enemies go).

7thSaga-TownOfLuze.png

Welp, there's our Dragon, right there. But we'll not bother with him just yet, there's something else I want to do first.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!103.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!015.png

Also, you'll find seven of these strange gems scattered about the town, and not a whole lot else. We'll get into all this later, but for now...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!016.png

Save your game and use that Pr. Seed and V. Seed (raises HP) that you should have found...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!017.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!020.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!021.png

...And start those coffee grinders, because we're going too...

The 7th Saga Episode 7: Reminiscence (Part 2)

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!022.png

POWEEER, through these guys!...Ok that was bad. But yeah, against a Magic stat of 110, Esuna's spells won't be doing jack, so after boosting my Defense and Agility, I take time to pump up that sword arm!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!024.png

Another round starts, Kenny's grandpa dies once again, and it's time for Esuna to do her thing!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!025.png

Unfortunately though, her “thing” isn't that impressive. This is AFTER a Defend-Attack mind you :dry:. That's right, Esuna is SO weak, that they actually use some of her “getting damaged” animation in there :lol:! He, he, he, he, he, he....he....

...Wait...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!027.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!028.png

C,mon, c,mon, don't use Vacuum or F.Bird, PLEASE don't use Vacuum or F.Bird!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!029.png

OR THAT! STOP IT, STOP IT NOW!!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!105.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!030.png

Bad boy, bad boy! Don't you dare make me...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!032.png

D-Darn it-

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!033.png

DARNIIIIIIIIIIIT!!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!035.png

YEEEEEEEEEESSS!!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!037.png

Ok, this is actually looking good! We're running hot on Magic and HP, and down one Heath Ledger cosplayer!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!039.png

Bad news is, in addition to this, he's got a nasty physical attack than can take off half your Defense if you're unlucky. Plus, as you may have gathered from the last update, these guys are extremely resistant to physical attacks, packing 400 HP, and enough Defense that Esuna may just as well be punching concrete.

So, our best option is the Vacuum spell, however, the Brain has a 70% natural resistance to it, so sometimes it takes a while to kill. Still, with that 95% Vacuum resistance from the Ring, Vacuum, and a titanic Speed advantage (S. Brains only have 60 Speed), this will surely be an easy vic-

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!040.png

-tory....

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!041.png

:cry:!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!042.png

Sigh....

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!043.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!044.png

Let's try this again, shall we?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!045.png

I'm still using the B. Agility, but skipping the B. Defense, because I believe in killing the Coccoons quickly. Defense won't do a whole lot if the Coccoon decides to dispel it or zap Esuna with lightning, will it?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!047.png

After that, THEN we can worry about the Defense!

And after we kill off Valsu and get that Brain in the hole, we have...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!051.png

A smorgasboard of experience and gold! Yes, for some inexplicable reason, the designers decided to dump a ton of experience on this guy even in the original version. I don't know what the reasoning was there, but between that, the localizers doubling the amount of experience given by it, and it's relatively low stats compared to later enemies, this place is a GOLD MINE for any poor soul trying to conquer this game!

This right here is why we're grinding here rather than somewhere easier, like say, the regular Brains. And yes, I've timed both options. Despite a high chance of dieing to the enemies here, this is far and away the best time to grind!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!054.png

And should you encounter a single S. Brain, then well, that's just icing on the cake!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!069.png

Now, before each fight, be sure you have around 60 MP before each fight, using Mherbs if needed. You don't want to restore ALL of it since the enemies tend to steal a ton of it, but on the other hand, you want enough attack magic to kill anything you don't want to use a Vacuum on.

Plus, with the Vacuum items costing 200G a piece, if there's a chance to not have to use them, it's a chance worth taking.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!057.png

Anyways, there's really only one more seriously threatening encounter besides this one, and that one has about two more Coccoons than this frozen Coccoon here. Nevertheless, I go after this sucker first thing after using the Star Rune. And after that...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!059.png

Get smackin' on this dude's MP to keep from buying too much on Mherbs as well :awesome:!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!063.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!065.png

Two more Brains down the gutter gives us...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!067.png

An only slightly below average level...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!068.png

And a somewhat pointless spell. Protect just nullifies Debuff's, and not anything else. Rather stupid really, considering we already have Mirrors.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!071.png

So here's another Sage fight, and you'd think this'd be tough, but...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!072.png

Actually, it can be fairly simple if you're lucky. What I like to do is oneshot the R. Demon immediately, without even taking time to buff. And once you do (you should never fail unless you got really Magic screwed), hopefully, the Sage will be compelled to waste his turn reviving his pal, like so...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!076.png

After that, oneshot the R. Demon again, and hopefully, the Sage will waste the rest of his MP reviving the R. Demon again (the Sage only has 120, and Revive2 costs 60). And I think you can see why THAT would be advantageous!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!078.png

I have to say though, I don't know why Valsu is alive here. I'm not really showing every fight as they come like I did with the first grinding update and the “Dunes of Despair” update. Nah, I'm saving that for something else.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!106.png

Now of course, the Coccoon being an enemy with Revive, he'll need to go before doing anything else. Fortunately, with the Star Rune, you should be able to survive anything this pair can dish out, even if the Coccoon uses Laser2. And with Ice2, you can easily...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!094.png

Well, SHOULD be able to easily oneshot it IF YOU'RE NOT MAGIC SCREWED :angry:!!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!095.png

Oh, and of course, the game decides to spit some salt in the wound...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!088.png

...Right before dumping battery acid on it, in typical 7th Saga style :>_<:...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!107.png

Speaking of 7th Saga style, here's the other fight that can generally kill a lone Esuna, but while you CAN revive Valsu for this, I choose to take a different tact to this game.

See, each M. Water used costs us 1200G...for only around 240-370G won after the fight (one variation of this fight has you fighting three Coccoons instead). And if you have 2400G or less, even dying won't have you losing more than 1200G. With that in mind, I usually just ICE2 these jerkwads (starting with R. Demon if he's there), and hope things work out.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!108.png

So here's Level 23, a benchmark that, at least in my experience, marks the point where all the apprentices, even Kamil, can usually survive an S. Brain and Sage pair without having to revive their partner. And of course, things only become easier for Valsu and Esuna, whose Vacuum spells start working much more often...

And...that's about it for the strategy. We've still got 6 more levels to go, but I've kind of said all I needed to say in regards to that. However, rather than just jumping ahead and ending the update shortly afterwards, I feel like taking some time to say my thoughts on the game, now that we've played through a good chunk of it. So strap yourselves in folks, this'll be a long one...

The 7th Saga Episode 7: Reminiscence (Part 3)

Now, of course, we all know of those classics, such a Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Chrono Trigger, Grandia, Golden Sun, all of that good stuff, right? And I, of course, being a great big fan of RPG's, natural took a liking to those sorts of games, at least, for a while.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!110.png

That said, there was getting to be a bit of a problem with all of these (except for perhaps Grandia, which I never played). Would you like to guess what that was?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!111.png

Well, the thing of it is, all of them were starting to get too easy, to the point where it was actually boring trying to replay them again. What's the point of another playthrough when you know that everything is going to happen the exact same way as last time?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!112.png

That's the thing about making a game too easy, at least for me. With 7th Saga at least, the enemies are hard enough that, even discounting the choice of seven different heroes, you never really know what to expect, and it's hard to really nail down exactly what's working better than something else.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!114.png

Did a particular fight work out because that was the best strategy, or because I got lucky? Likewise, why did I die there? Was that really down to luck, or was there something I could have done?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!116.png

I feel like a lot of the time, when someone declares a game too hard, it's because they gave up too easily, instead of really trying to understand what they're doing, and become better at it.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!119.png

It's the same reason why I'll so often, say, share Mega Man X with some casual gamer, and most of them won't even get past the intro stage before asking "can you beat this for me? PLLEEEASE?", not realizing that, if they need my help just for that, they don't have a chance at the rest of the game.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!121.png

I'm not calling those sorts of people lazy or stupid or anything, I just think that, with that kind of attitude, you miss one of the most satisfying parts of playing a game in the first place, and that's not only overcoming challenge, but getting this sort of thrill that comes as you see yourself doing things that you wouldn't have thought you'd be able to do...and usually so quickly!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!122.png

But because of the attitude of that kind of gamer, it seems to me like developers have to really dumb down the difficulty of their more popular titles, like Final Fantasy, and with that dumbing down, comes a real removal of strategy.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!125.png

Final Fantasy VI for example. It may be a great game, but for me, after a while of replaying the game, the first third or so actually got to be a bit of a CHORE to play, because there's always this very clear, set pattern of strategies that never changes, whether you watch a speed run, or a casual playthrough.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!127.png

You get Edgar, and he Auto-Crossbows everything. You get Sabin...and he Aurabolts/Fire Dances everything. You get Celes...and she uses Ice-All on everything, in the rare case that Edgar's Auto Crossbow doesn't kill them all. And so on and so forth.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!128.png

And don't even MENTION how stupid a casual playthrough of the WoR gets in terms of that, what with people slinging Ice 3's and Wind Gales and Ultima's every which way!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!130.png

Basically, a lot of RPG's starting from the SNES era onward seem to fall into this trap where you literally spam the same multi-target attacks over...and over...and over...and over again, to the point where the random encounters might just as well not exist. It's just padding if you're not forcing me to actually THINK once in a while!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!131.png

For me at least, this sense of boredom got to the point where I was literally surfing the Internet for SOME kind of RPG to provide me the challenge I needed. And lo and behold, I stumbled across this RPG on Gamefaqs. And so began my foray into the world of 7th Saga!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!132.png

I heard some bad things about the game, and was initially a bit nervous. For as much as I ranted about things being too easy, even I had a limit. Yu-Gi-Oh: Reshef of Destruction and Forbidden Memories, were two games that I simply could not stomach for long enough to beat them (though...that's certainly changed now :smug:).

Basically, in addition to difficulty, I wanted SOME amount of strategy as well! So what did I think upon first playing it? Well, you could check out a Gamefaqs thread that was written by a much younger mind, not quite as concerned about really elaborating on things...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563501-the-7th-saga/50234845

Or, you could listen to me looking back on it. Whichever floats your boat.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!133.png

So first playthough...I chose Kamil. Yeah, that guy I totally slammed at the beginning of this LP? That was the sad sack of garbage I got saddled with my first time. And of course it was because I was unsuspecting enough to follow the RIDICULOUSLY outdated guides on Gamefaqs (all of which were made at least seven years before the mechanics of this game even became available)!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!134.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!135.png

That said, the first thing that struck me about the game was just how incredibly cool the graphics were, and just how fun the music was. Truth be told, going into this game, I though this was going to be one of those weird “1st person dungeon crawler” RPG's in the same way Arcana was one of those.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!137.png

I just remembered reading such a game in a Nintendo Power article once, in an “Epicenter” column (for RPG's I believe), covering such a game. It talked about how you needed to level up some in order to beat some guy called “Jinn”, and went on about this optional boss fight after Jinn.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!140.png

Oh yes, and this happens sometimes when you get up in the levels. Makes grinding a bit of a pain at times :-_-:.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!142.png

Anyways, apparently it was like Final Fantasy 1 that was supposedly spawned a random number of incredibly powerful demon, but unlike that game, it rewarded you with this really powerful magic item that did...something, I don't remember what. But whatever it was, I took it to be called one of those "Runes" I heard about in reviews of 7th Saga.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!143.png

But no, everything was all bright and colorful! In fact, that was one of the first things that struck me! The spritework for everything is so much less...chibi-fied and detailed than it is for so many other games. And the enemies actual move too! And that music....

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!145.png

And since the difficulty isn't so bad at the beginning of the game, I honestly thought people might've been being a bunch of babies about the whole thing. Same thing happened with Dragon Warrior II, which I honestly don't consider to be THAT hard or confusing, aside from Rogue Fastfinger, the Cave to Rhone, and perhaps the Sun Crest.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!149.png

Of course, looking back on it, it probably helped that I, being a perfectionist, would actually save scum my levels until I never had any stat that was below average during a level up...and in fact, I believe I started out by scumming some perfect levels out of stuff like Power and Speed. I know for a fact that I calmed down on that later, but still, I kind of jumped the gun on that one.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!153.png

BTW, Level 25 is when I could finally do THIS!

How%20to%20Kill%20Cocoons.gif

Yes, at around Level 23, it becomes more efficient to handle this fight with multi-target spells rather than single targetting attacks for Lux, Esuna, and Lejes. The others unfortunately, are not properly equipped to manage this, though all of them can eventually one-shot Cocoons without any buffs anyway, so it still works out.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!155.png

Anyways, back to the story. From there beginning of the game until Bonro, I believe I had a pretty typical first time, aside from actually having a ton of fun with the difficulty. However, I made it a point to try beat the game without grinding. And so I did...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!158.png

By manipulating my level ups, and also beating up every single apprentice I came across (with the exception of Valsu). In fact, every single time I would go to a new town, I would stop what I was doing and hunt down all five apprentices every single time. And of course, I would raid every itty bitty chest there was, taking several trips if necessary...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!160.png

Yes, I was THAT kind of gamer, having been inspired by how HCBailly used to be. Those of you who've watched him for a while know how that was, right? Back in the days where his style was the equivalent of hunting flies with a shotgun? Well, that was me at that point.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!139.png

But the point was, I wasn't technically grinding, even though I was in spirit, looking back on it.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!165.png

That said, once I got to the Cave of Luze, it was there that I was starting to notice four things...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!169.png

1) The enemies were really starting to pound the crud out of me...

2) Kamil was, oddly enough, not much more durable than Valsu, considering he had the same HP growth, and I wasn't well-versed enough to steal armor from Olvan yet.

3) While I'm not sure on this last point, I believe I started to notice that apprentices were REALLY kicking my teeth in at this point. And finally...

4) THE ENEMIES! OH GOSH THE ENEMIES!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!170.png

Yeah, if you read the thread I made long ago on Gamefaqs, this is around the point where I started feeling “so fricken helpless” against the enemies. In fact, even at Level 23, things were still not going my way, though part of that was due to my lack of knowledge of even basic tricks, like how to choose which apprentice goes first, and stuff like that. Plus, I still thought stuff like Petrify was viable >_<!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!171.png

Anyways, whatever happened, I actually decided to restart the game as Wilme, just to see how different it was, and if he was any better (again, I'm a perfectionist you see).

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!173.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!174.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!175.png

Also, here are my stats. As screwed as they are, I think this still illustrates pretty well how strong we're starting to become :)!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!178.png

And, wouldn't you know it, our favorite little megalomaniacal overlord turned out to be better in...well, pretty much every conceivable way! Really!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!179.png

And back then, I couldn't even tell whether to be happy about gaining such an awesome character, or to be upset at just how blatantly unbalanced the characters were. I mean, really, what do you think I thought when I looked at this?!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!180.png

Wilme: Level 21
HP: 180
MP: 42
Power: 85
Guard: 107
Magic: 42
Speed: 84
Kamil: Level 23
HP: 126
MP: 70
Power: 70
Guard: 70
Magic: 69
Speed: 69

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!181.png

Now of course, those stats are their averages instead of mine, since mine were super inflated from rigging, but the point still stands, there was a very obvious, appalling difference between the game as Wilme and the game as Kamil. I just couldn't believe that someone looked at these characters, and said “yep, this is TOTALLY balanced :B):”!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!182.png

So needless to say, things were definitely different, to the point where the path from Dowaine to Belaine went from taking to an hour, to only taking 5-10 minutes. And in fact, the rest of the game wasn't so bad either...until I got to, shall we say...a certain point of no return? Yeah, I think the veterans here know what I'm talking about...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!183.png

Obviously I can't say much more without spoilers...but one thing I can say is that, for however hard this game may have been so far, we've still got far, FAR worse to go through. Things are definitely going to get worse before they get better.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!185.png

In fact, it gets to the point where the fricken random encounters start to become harder than the actual bosses! Heck, we're just about at that point right now!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!187.png

But, believe or not, I still did it without grinding. How did I do that? Well...you'll just have to wait and see, won't you ;)?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!189.png

But anyways, I had fun. In fact, I had SO much fun, that I even posted a thread on the board if there was any RPG as hard as 7th Saga. Sadly, the answer was no :(:...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!192.png

That said though, putting aside my thrill seeking habits...I can definitely see why this game was a pain for a lot of people. And honestly, I'd be remiss to do any sort of retrospective without at least briefly touching on the negatives.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!200.png

But first, let's cover something else real quickly.

The 7th Saga Episode 7: Reminiscence (Part 4)

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!202.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!203.png

In addition to this being a beyond average level up, what you're seeing here is another part of why Esuna, while not the best of characters, is still a solid choice. This spell allows you to instantly heal all HP, and will therefore be an enormous boon even when her attacking magic becomes totally worthless.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!204.png

Anyways, on the topic of this game's weaknesses. Now, even putting aside the obvious problems most of us have with the difficulty, this game is totally unbalanced, not just in the characters, but in game mechanics as well.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!206.png

For an example, one need look no further than to look at Lemele or Rablesk, which, despite being the very first towns you go to, sell items that will actually DOUBLE your Defense and Power. Not only that, but each of these cost only 100 G, meaning that you'll never even have trouble buying them after a certain point, and making Esuna and Valsu functionally obsolete, at least, until they get Heal 3.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!208.png

Worst of all, it forces the game designers to balance the game in a way that getting those sorts of buffs so early and easily doesn't break the game. Because of that, battles are needlessly dragged out because you spend every single one of them buffing yourself up first before doing anything.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!209.png

Weapons and armor, meanwhile, are ridiculously overpriced, with even the very first bit of armor costing more than 7x B. Items in gold. And your pay off? 1+ Defense. Because that's worth it, right?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!211.png

Meanwhile, Lux and Wilme have the same Speed or higher, get hit for 2-4 HP per pop even at Level 1, do more damage, and can do all of this without so much as touching a single piece of equipment. And of course, while Esuna and Valsu still do competently here, that's not going to last for long.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!214.png

This is a Defend-Attack here by the way. It may LOOK impressive, but remember, it took her 6 Levels to do with a Defend-Attack what even Kamil can do with a Power buff and a regular attack :dry:.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!215.png

And of course, the reason for the decline in magic (for you at least), is that the majority of your gains in Magic depend on you actually having more Magic than your enemy, which of course, is a rather big assumption even for Valsu and Esuna. Otherwise, each point in Magic is literally only something like, 0.35-0.5.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!217.png

Of course, you also get an extra point of damage for every Magic point more you have than your enemies, but due to you typically having lower magic, this works much more to the enemy's advantage than to yours.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!220.png

And of course, the most crippling problem of all, you can automatically double the Attack power of your physicals, while no such option exists for your Magic.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!223.png

Personally, I think a lot of problems could have been solved by keeping the Magic formula mostly the same, but adding a multiplier based on your Level, like it was in Final Fantasy VI. Like, in addition to each spell having their own Spell Power like they do now, that Spell Power would be increased by a multiplier that gets bigger for every level you have.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!225.png

And of course, that would also solve the problem of advanced attack magic being only a minor increase from the basic ones in the end-game.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!226.png

And if you wanted to, you could design the multiplier so that lower end magic will typically do less damage than boosted physicals while higher end magic would generally do much more damage, in exchange for costing a ton of MP.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!228.png

Finally, in addition to the obvious problems, there are also a ton of irritating little things that are just...odd, like the game designers had totally run out of time before they could iron out the kinks in their game.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!230.png

For example, how in the world is it possible to have too much Magic when trying to land a Debuff or Vacuum spell? Why does the game flat out lie to you about what B. Defense/Defense 1 does? What's the point of adding in all these hidden items if there's absolutely no way of knowing they're there? Why can I not buy items in bulk? And, most infuriating of all, WHY CAN I NOT REARRANGE MY INVENTORY ITEMS?!?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!232.png

Heck, even the fricken NES Dragon Warrior games got that right! And that was made in like, the 80's! But not this game, oh no. You want to use those Heal Potions? Well you'd better hope you didn't use em' all up at some point, otherwise, it's all the way to the bottom of the item list for you!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!233.png

And of course, it's not possible to get to the bottom just by pressing up at the top of the menu. You gotta press like, all 15 presses of the down button before it'll allow you that honor!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!235.png

None of this is helped by the fact that, for however cool and atmospheric the world itself is, the flavor text got totally borked in localization, to the point where a lot of the dialogue is not only stiff and lifeless, but half the time, isn't even grammatically consistent or correct.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!236.png

I don't know if “CrossContaminant” plans on doing any sort of retranslation, but if he does, I'd sure welcome it. Well, that, and to still have the Saga enemy stats, but with Elnard growths. Won't that be an interesting experiment, seeing how the localizers probably intended probably intended the difficulty to be?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!237.png

Of course, I still don't know why in the world they couldn't have just fixed the bug if they were aware of it. They couldn't have been ignorant of the problem after all, since, if I remember right from a Ted Woosley interview, you're required to actually play through the game with your translation in it just to make sure your text didn't screw anything up.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!238.png

So what kept them? I'd say it was simple carelessness, but looking at the buffs the enemies got, and the debuffs our heroes got, most of them are actually fairly reasonable. Some of the enemies were too vanilla for their own good in Elnard, and most of the characters who needed a good nerfing got it. Was this production really that rushed?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!241.png

Sigh, but I digress, I still love this game despite all of those little hiccups. I guess me and 7th Saga were just suited for each other :B):.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!242.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!243.png

So, actually, that was the perfect time for that rant to end, because after you lower this EXP. Amount to 2202 Exp or less, it's finally time to move on! What will we find in the middle of this town?

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!261.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!262.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!264.png

Gifted speaker.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!246.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!250.png

That said, aside from his stoicness, there is absolutely NOTHING special about him, aside from being able to double his Defense.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!254.png

Basically, he has Petrify, which if anything is just a free turn...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!255.png

A Fireball spell that's only slightly stronger than what the Sages would throw at you...

Dragon%20Fire.gif

And his physical attack is barely more powerful than a regular enemy's, despite his status as “boss”.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!251.png

And the most annoying thing is that, despite how unthreatening he is, the guy takes hits like a tractor, so the whole fight just ends up being one long slug fest. And believe it or not...this guy was actually given some pretty decent buffs in this version, including 30+ Speed! So imagine how weak he was in the Japanese version!

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!256.png

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!257.png

But I digress, I can't say I'm too disappointed in finally having something easy to deal with after all those fights.

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!258.png

Anyways, as you might remember, this town was where the Sky Rune was supposed to be hidden, so let us claim our...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!259.png

...prize? Oh no...

7th%20Saga,%20The%20(U)%20!260.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

NEW ENEMIES THAT WE FOUGHT TODAY:

*Plater    Exp:   440      Gold:  200      Class: 0   *
Stats    Resists    Spells          Drops
MaxHP     210      Thunder   10   (None)    (None)
MaxMP       0      Fire      10     
Power     115      Ice       10     
Guard 160>190      Vacuum    10     
Magic      71      Debuff    10     
Speed      70
*Dragon    Exp:  2203      Gold: 1000      Class: 1   *
Stats    Resists    Spells    Drops
MaxHP 600>1100     Thunder   40    Petrify         (None)
MaxMP      230     Fire      40    Defense1 
Power  100>110     Ice       40    Defense2 
Guard  170>220     Vacuum    --    Fireball 
Magic  100>110     Debuff    --     
Speed    50>80

• 3 weeks later...

Now then, it's time to vote on our new partner! But before we do, I would like you all to give a big thank you to kharan_zechts on Gamefaqs for providing me with all the Japanese illustrations of the characters, courtesy of a Japanese Strategy Guide called “エルナード, The Encyclopedia of Adventure “. So, now that we're here, let me go over some more strategy...

First of all, since we've leveled up to a really high level, we're going to be running from almost everything we can reasonably run from, meaning that high Speed in our new partner is going to be a really good trait. And the reason I grinded up to a high level rather than leveling as we went along is because of how quickly you gain experience around Luze relative to everywhere else. In fact, that's a trick you'll want to exploit in many RPG's if you can help it, such as Final Fantasy VI and the Esper Cave.

That said, direct magical attacks, outside of one specific boss, are going to be pretty worthless now...at least, for us. On the other hand, for enemies, it's going to regularly be far more dangerous than their physical attacks, due to the way the magic formula works out (most of the damage from magic can only be gained by having higher magic than your foes), so anyone who can't resist magic as well (COUGHWilmeCOUGH), is going to have a rougher time of things.

And finally, in spite of our partner coming in at Level 30, we're going to need to gain 4 more levels for them by the end to consistently beat the final boss, and while bosses can cover most of that, we'll need to be able to fight a FEW random encounters, so the ability to end them instantly will be very good....

Oh yes, and one last thing for anyone who doesn't mind spoiling themselves...there is a boss, Monmo...who take FOREVER to kill if you don't have any good fire attacks, so you can take that into consideration as well, if you wish

So, without further ado, in order of best to worst...

Lejes.png

Yes, Lejes is now on top. Why is that? I'm glad you asked.

Basically, while his stats are lower overall than Wilme or Lux, he's gained a TON of amazing spells that he didn't have at the start. He's got F.Shid to shield one party member from ANY direct magical attack (perfect for stalling the final boss), he's got Vacuum2 to potentially kill ALL enemies in a single round (meaning getting the little experience we need is effortless), he's fast, and he still has all that while still hitting reasonably well with physicals.

His only real weakness in comparison to the others is that he can't take physical attacks as well, but then, magic is much more dangerous TO US than physicals are at this point...

Plus, he's the one who kills Monmo the quickest.

Lux.png

:blink:....That....those shoulders....that posture...that color....and that face! LUX, WHAT DID THEY DO TO YOU :cry:?!?

Sigh...well, anyways, Lux may have gone down a peg, but gosh darn it if he isn't a fricken tank! He may not have the Speed he needs for most of the game, but due to a special power-up he gets in the future, even that won't be hitting him THAT hard. Take that issue away, and you've got essentially the most durable AND the most powerful dude in the entire game, even if he doesn't come with all the bells and whistles that Lejes does.

And to top it off, while Lejes and Wilme can be anywhere from tough, to literally impossible to recruit (depending on who you are), Lux is amiable to everyone, so no matter what, he can always be recruited in a reasonable amount of time, if you care about speed like I do...

That said though, by far his biggest weakness is that it literally take something like TWENTY MINUTES to kill Monmo since he has no fire attacks :sob:

Wilme.png

...You know, I don't know what's funnier. The fact that Wilme is a tiger man, of all things, or the fact that his American and Japanese illustrations are different, and yet, NEITHER of them look anything like his in-game sprite :XD:

Anyway, basically he's Lux, except he's harder to recruit, and trades Speed for overall less durability, meaning that while he's good at running away, he has that awkward problem of just getting slammed by Magic attacks. This of course, also makes it kind of a pain to heal him since his sky-high HP makes it so that only Potion 3's can heal him in a reasonable amount of time.

Still...high stats man :B):.

Kamil.png

Yay, Kamil isn't a complete waste of space anymore! Why is that? I mean besides looking like Robocop with a sword?

Basically, it all comes down to two things. One, he has fricken Heal 3 at Level 34, and enough MP to use it before having to use either a Recovery or some Mherbs. And two, the very end of the game is where armor starts to become significantly stronger, meaning that Kamil and Olvan can finally start playing catchup in their durability. I mean, they still have inferior HP, and they still have to worry about magic attacks, but still...

Anyways, it can't be overstated just how much this salvages Kamil, ESPECIALLY Heal 3! I mean, four charges of instant full HP? That's a huge help for boss fights, even if he is otherwise mediocre at best!

AND NOW, THE UNAVAILABLE CHARACTERS, FOR THE SAKE OF COMPLETENESS

Olvan.png

….Well, he may have been the best off in terms of artistic depiction, but unfortunately, he's now on the bottom of the ladder. He doesn't learn Heal 3 before the end of the game, so now he's essentially a weaker Kamil. I mean, Defense1 doesn't help out THAT much when you're just running from everything anyways, and 30-34 extra HP, while helpful, is nowhere near enough to make up for a weaker spell selection.

Valsu.png

Yes...Valsu is a bishounen, the japanese term for androgynous. I don't really think much of it since it kind of makes him more generic somehow, but...anyways, he's pretty much what you expect. He's the master of stalling...but unfortunately, he doesn't have the physical attack or defense to back it up, meaning that, as far as I can tell, it's not really possible for him to beat the final boss at the levels we're going to be fighting him with. Still, Agility and F.Shid are pretty helpful at least?

One thing to note is that at Level 43, he gains the Elixer spell, which fully restores both HP AND MP, making him effectively immortal in any boss fights. Not really helpful for our purposes, but an interesting novelty nevertheless, right?

Esuna.png

She's Valsu...except worse. Doesn't even learn Vacuum2 until Level 35.

Still, she's interesting just for the fact that, apparently, she's by far the most popular character in Japan, with Lejes often being paired with her. I mean seriously, searching Yahoo!JAPAN for the actually artwork? That doesn't work, because the game's so obscure. But Esuna? Well then you've got results coming out the wazoo! She's practically more popular than the actual game!

I guess that's the beauty of being the only female character in an RPG, huh? Some other things of note, I found a neat Nico Nico channel (the Japanese equivalent of Youtube) where this crazy dude does RTA speed runs of not only Elnard, but also Mystic Ark, several of the old NES Dragon Warrior games, Mother 1, and even Grandia 1 (which apparently is like 16 hours long even in a speed run!). If you're interested, and feel like making a free account (you can't watch without making an account), here's the link.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/user/2729422/video

Grandia should be on the first page I believe, Mystic Ark is on the 4th, and Elnard is on the 5th. At any rate, have a nice day, and Godspeed everyone! Be sure to send in your votes!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, my next update has come! But, there's something I need to know. How would you feel about me linking either to Something Awful or Lets Play Forums (doesn't require you to pay to view threads) rather than redoing everything here? I'll be honest, dealing with the image limit here, having to reformat everything (for some reason, when I copy and paste stuff here, it bunches up all the text), and redoing all of the smilies is kind of a pain, so if it's not too much of an inconvenience, I'd like to go that route.

But, I don't want to do that if you guys don't want me to. So, what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the praise man, and everyone else across the other forums. I can't tell you how much it means to me, especially since I was so nervous about the quality of my work at the beginning. So thank you!

Anyways, the next update is tomorrow! Now, this one will be just us tieing up some loose ends, like transcribing all the NPC dialogue that I couldn't work into the other updates, showing the two other ways you can get the Moon Rune, showing off the NPC dialogue in Pang, briefly looking at the two optional dungeons, and showing off the spells and animations of all the apprentices before we finally head off to look for the 7th Rune. And then, after that...it's time!

Yes, my friends, it is THAT time. That time where we FINALLY go and see just how hard the apprentices are to beat...at Level 50...and even...LEVEL...80!! I know, right?! But before I do, which would you have me do? Would you have me...

A) Defeat only Lux at Level 50 and 80?

B) Defeat Valsu, Lejes, and Lux at Level 50 and 80?

or...

C) Defeat ALL of the apprentices I can at Level 50 and 80?

I ask because I want to know what you guys want. I'd go for Option A or B myself since Kamil neither Kamil nor Wilme are very interesting, but, again, that's up to you. Lux is the toughest one though, hence why I also have option A. So, whatever the case, look forward to the Monday night SLAM FEST coming quick to a Something Awful/Lets Play Forums thread near you!

Well people, it turns out one of the apprentices was WAY harder than I expected him to be, to the point where I actually had to restart the game, and gameshark 5 levels at a time, making sure to get above average level ups, and so I could get the perfect boost from every single stat seed available before getting the 7th Rune. And now, with 8 points of Speed more than Esuna typically has at Level 44, this apprentice, only had a 95% chance of hitting me, and not 98% like he did before...

Awesome, huh :dry:? And I don't even know if even THAT'S going to work...

YEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!! I DID IT!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

And it wasn't due to the higher stats either. No, this apprentice I struggled with was Valsu, fought at Level 44, meaning that the gap between his Speed and Magic and mine was as high as it could possibly be (Magic and Speed caps at 255 points). How did I do this? Well, just a few days ago, well, I discovered a brand new trick that I think will really surprise a lot of you. This time, for sure, look forward to the slam fest tomorrow!

Well guys, after many years of Valsu kicking the butts of so many innocent children at high levels, I FINALLY give those poor souls rest, as I give Valsu's face a much needed meeting with the ground. Oh yeah, and there's also some other stuff, so here it is!

Something Awful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3535179&pagenumber=9#post424875190

Lets Play Forums: http://www.letsplayforum.net/showthread.php?5026-SSLP-Because-Trying-Times-Are-Times-For-Trying-Let-s-Play-quot-The-7th-Saga-quot-!&p=99194&viewfull=1#post99194

Enjoy!