FE4 Sword Skills

SmoulderingGT

Alright, I figured this out.

It seems each character has a list of skills they can inherit. (These lists might be used for more than

just inheritance).

This list starts at 7A975 and ends at 7A9E9. Each character's list is 3 bytes long.

They are all either D7 07 FB (middle byte contains sword skills. 07 means can't inherit sword skills)

or D7 FF FB (can inherit sword skills).

The characters are in the same order as the nightmare children module (I don't know where Leaf, Celice

and Altenna are, however, the list is much longer than just the children characters, so they must be

in there somewhere). I know that Fee starts at 7A9DE, which would be the fourth last character.

To enable sword skills inheritance for a particular character, go to that character's list, and change

the middle byte from 07 to FF.

Holy Weapon Inheritance is also hard coded.

The list is at

7AD55:

C9 4B 00 F0 18 (Holsety)

C9 62 00 F0 13 (Valkyrie)

C9 36 00 F0 0E (Ichivail)

Items in this list will be inherited no matter what.

You can instead guarantee that they won't be inherited by switching:

18 -> 1E

13 -> 19

0E -> 14

At 7AD6C, there is a switch. Changing 7AD6C from 0B to 05

will make every holy weapon gauranteed to be inherited (regardless of their presence in the list). This behaviour is overruled by

the "inheritance off" switch above.

So, if you change 7AD55 to

C9 15 00 F0 1E

and 7AD6C to 05, all holy weapons will be inherited, except the Tyrfing, which won't be.

it probably isn't 07 to FF specifically due to the way bit logic works (0x07 = 0000:0111b and 0xFF = 1111:1111b so you're just hitting one of the switches there)

i wonder what would happen if you changed it to something else besides 0xFF? maybe we'll get to see some garbage inheritance effect?

Specifically the way it works is that it's an AND on the sum of the parent's skills.

The bits are:

01: Critical

02: Ambush

04: Charge

08: Astra

10: Luna

20: Sol

40: Light Sword Skill (or whatever)

80: Darkness sword

So if you don't have FF, you can't inherit one of these skills. The other bytes in the skill list aren't FF because there are some bits in those ones that don't correspond to skills. If you don't care about Light and Dark sword, you could use 3F

ah, so it's just a bunch of switches to determine what skills can/cannot be inherited? that's useful to know

guess this means that they were intending to have critical/ambush/charge not be inherited by certain units? might show that they could have been thinking about ambush/wrath (granted i am shooting in the dark here)

Wow, thanks for the info, I've been wondering how to do this myself for months now.

Since its on topic, anyone know where I could find the patch that allows the sword skills to be used with any weapon and also the one that allows multiple sword skills to occur simultaneously? Or even better, anyone know the adress of the code? I couldn't find either on the uploader or the wiki.

The developers could theoretically have disabled inheritance for any skill they wanted to for any character they wanted to by altering these lists.

It's difficult to say if they actually intended to, but indeed, if you set 07 to 01, you would prevent that character from inheriting the sword skills, as well as charge and ambush.

Similarly, if you changed the D7 to 00 for example, you would disable the inheritance of wrath, pursuit, continue, awareness, charisma, and prayer.

Incidentally, the addresses that I posted earlier for sword skill inheritance are for a ROM without a header.

As for the other sword skill patches,

The simultaneous one is in the uploader.

It's packaged in the file called 二次配布系

In there, there are a bunch of subfolders labeled FE3(stuff) FE4(stuff) FE5(stuff).

The patch you're looking for is in the second FE4 folder.

Go to the 8th subfolder of that one, and there should be three files called fe4_sskill_tA, _tB, and _tC

You want tA. The other ones deal with the light sword and dark sword skills. I have no idea how they work.

I also don't know where the weapon type sword skills patch or address is.

Edited by SmoulderingGT

• 4 years later...