LARP

Doga

I live in Europe. I'm also not aware of any historical American martial arts.

I figure there are plenty of people in America who study historical European martial arts, so I didn't automatically assume you lived in Europe. One of my friends mentioned it to me a few weeks ago, but I don't think he's as likely to actually train in those styles as he is to talk about obscure types of Viking weaponry.

I only participed in one small Resident Evil themed LARP but it was pretty cool. I was a sarcastic deadpan snarker scientist who turned against Umbrella after seeing what they were trying to do... And I even got an award for the "Best line of the LARP"! smile.gif

There was a special kind of zombies who were getting stronger every time they got killed. A random soldier shouted "Don't kill them, they evolve!" I answered with "They evolve? I though they were zombies, not a bunch of f***ing pokémon..."

I don't know if this is classified as a LARP, but I've always wanted to do one of those Zombie Runs--like you're in a zombie apocalypse and you have to survive and/or outrun the zombies/make it to the end without "dying."

Edited by DualSilverGunner

I don't know if this is classified as a LARP, but I've always wanted to do one of those Zombie Runs--like you're in a zombie apocalypse and you have to survive and/or outrun the zombies/make it to the end without "dying."

Isn't Zombie Run more like a complex version of tag?

It depends on how loose an interpretation you have of LARPing. I've heard of LARPs set in zombie apocalypses, but this sounds more like one of those events they have at theme parks where people dress up as monsters and try to scare you, but with obstacles put in the way.

Was it one of those "Friends in a backyard" kind of games, or something seriously put together on a campground/venue?

Just a friendly one put together by the rp club of my city's Cegep (Québec's colleges) We were around 30 peoples, 15 survivors and 15 who played various zombies. The Cegep itself was our playground.

It depends on how loose an interpretation you have of LARPing. I've heard of LARPs set in zombie apocalypses, but this sounds more like one of those events they have at theme parks where people dress up as monsters and try to scare you, but with obstacles put in the way.

It depends on the run, really. Some Run's have simple "you get touched and your done," rules making them similar to just a convoluted game of tag like Gyarados pointed out. Some runs however, have "armories" with paintball guns on the trail to use against Zombies (who have gear some gear of course) when they encounter them. It depends really, although I wouldn't consider Halloween Horror Nights or other theme park gimmicks LARPs like you said.

Someone commented on one of my FE:A videos that they wanted to LARP the scene. I...don't know what to say.

Imagine a bunch of nerdy kids swinging foam swords around pretending to be badass.

Trust me, I LARP with people whose ages range from 17-43. Sometimes you get a balding guy with long hair who tries to say one liners but comes off as weird. But usually it's fun.

Can I get a link to the video?