Does English HAVE actual fixed pronunciations?

Junkhead

On some videos I watched, it seems people keep pronouncing things differently from what they actually are (or at least, what they seem to be). For example, in videos streams of SSBB, there's this player tagged 'Ally', and some people pronounce it as "Al-lee" while it's actually "Al-lie" (or at least, I'm about 90% sure it is).

English isn't my first language, but I've seen a few things out there I consider wrong. :/

Oh god

Ah-lee

I hate that pronunciation I hate videos that say his name like that it makes me so buttmnrrrrghffnssdwoo

But I don't know if he actually pronounces it like that himself due to his being from Canada, so my peeve remains just that

The letter Y is called "eegrek" or whatever in french, and pronounced how the rest of english pronounces "eee," iirc, and those both being official languages in Canada, I imagine they're mingling a bit. I'm basing this speculation on how Z may be pronounced "zed," as it is in french, as opposed to "zee." I know this occurs because, despite having pronunciation similar to mine in almost every way, one day my Canadian cousin used that pronunciation to refer to the letter Z.

I then turned to him slowly, quivering ever so slightly.

"Zed? Y-you mean, 'zee,' right?"

He smiled.

"Yes. Zed."

Oh god

Ah-lee

I hate that pronunciation I hate videos that say his name like that it makes me so buttmnrrrrghffnssdwoo

But I don't know if he actually pronounces it like that himself due to his being from Canada, so my peeve remains just that

The letter Y is called "eegrek" or whatever in french, and pronounced how the rest of english pronounces "eee," iirc, and those both being official languages in Canada, I imagine they're mingling a bit. I'm basing this speculation on how Z may be pronounced "zed," as it is in french, as opposed to "zee." I know this occurs because, despite having pronunciation similar to mine in almost every way, one day my Canadian cousin used that pronunciation to refer to the letter Z.

I then turned to him slowly, quivering ever so slightly.

"Zed? Y-you mean, 'zee,' right?"

He smiled.

"Yes. Zed."

Speaking as a Canadian who's first language is French, it can get a little frustrating learning pronunciation. For us, we're used to see names like Mallory and Bethany and the like- so having something like Ally not being pronounced the same way can be jarring at times. I've had problems saying "ridiculous" before. And the difference of terminology can be quite a hassle as well.

And yes, we tend to use zed instead of zee.

On some videos I watched, it seems people keep pronouncing things differently from what they actually are (or at least, what they seem to be). For example, in videos streams of SSBB, there's this player tagged 'Ally', and some people pronounce it as "Al-lee" while it's actually "Al-lie" (or at least, I'm about 90% sure it is).

English isn't my first language, but I've seen a few things out there I consider wrong. :/

There are some words that are generally pronounced the same across all English-speaking areas, but just as in any other language there are differences based on geographic and cultural separation.

The word "ally," is supposed to be pronounced "al-lie," but as a name ("Hey there Ally, you seen that new movie lately?") it could be pronounced "al-lee."

For the name, I usually see it Allie, but hell, all bets are off on name spellings and pronunciations, to be quite fair.

Edit: Probably a nickname for Allison, or something, but yeah, pronounced like ah-lee.

Edited by Balcerzak