Japenese or English voices

Aethern

Japanese or English voices?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What voices do/will you use?

It's not high enough for me, obviously.

Obviously not on the subject of her voice... and forgive me for the analogy, but her "shyness" in English felt more... stereotypically airhead blonde.

How many stereotypical blondes do you deal with?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.o. I think when ENG!Olivia says "Stop staring at me!", she sounds angry or annoyed. Meanwhile, JP!Olivia's "み-見ないでください!" actually sounds like she's embarassed or shy. IMO.

How many stereotypical blondes do you deal with?

I've dealt with 3 my entire life.

One at school every other weekday.

.o. I think when ENG!Olivia says "Stop staring at me!", she sounds angry or annoyed. Meanwhile, JP!Olivia's "み-見ないでください!" actually sounds like she's embarassed or shy. IMO.

All of the lines they say are legit translations of course.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Quoting this for this is really the truth for this entire thread:

I'd imagine, people would usually prefer hearing voices *IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE*.
I mean, I've never even heard of a Japanese Blazblue player intentionally setting their own console voice acting language to English, despite it being there.
It's a preference. That's all it is.

---

In general, I really like it when games offer you the option to use English and Japanese voices. So I was really happy when I finally took the time to check the Extras in FEA.

Edited by Cordelia

I'd imagine, people would usually prefer hearing voices *IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE*.

I mean, I've never even heard of a Japanese Blazblue player intentionally setting their own console voice acting language to English, despite it being there.

It's a preference. That's all it is.

GLORIOUS NIPPON THAT IS ALL

I don't mind it either way. I don't like the voices because they are in a different language, but because they feel more like they belong to the character. Most of them at least.

It's gotta be the Japanese voices. Having Sawashiro use her cute voice as my daughter is too good to be true. I do enjoy some voices better than the Japanese version, i.e. Gregor, Nowi, and some are one par, like Lucina, Tharja. Overall, the Japanese voices blows the localized voices out of the water, and it is worth resetting to every time I turn on the game. Though this ultimately is a subjective argument and we can only base our opinions on our ideals, i.e. being purists, being English speakers, rather than on actual voice quality and character, both of which can't be measured.

It's gotta be the Japanese voices. Having Sawashiro use her cute voice as my daughter is too good to be true. I do enjoy some voices better than the Japanese version, i.e. Gregor, Nowi, and some are one par, like Lucina, Tharja. Overall, the Japanese voices blows the localized voices out of the water, and it is worth resetting to every time I turn on the game. Though this ultimately is a subjective argument and we can only base our opinions on our ideals, i.e. being purists, being English speakers, rather than on actual voice quality and character, both of which can't be measured.

Couldn't have said that better myself.

But really, both did a STELLAR job on vocals, so I'm not complaining about either.

GLORIOUS NIPPON THAT IS ALL

I don't mind it either way. I don't like the voices because they are in a different language, but because they feel more like they belong to the character. Most of them at least.

GLORY TO THE LAND OF THE RISING SUN. Says the person with the Tamako Market signature.

But all in all, our justifications are all subjective and it really is all about our personal preference on the matter.

It's quite nice of Nintendo to put the option there... BUT ARGH IT REALLY INSULTS ME AS A COMPUTER SCIENTIST TO FIND THAT BUG WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF PLAYING THE ENGLISH GAME.

Japanesecopy4lyfe.

BUT ARGH IT REALLY INSULTS ME AS A COMPUTER SCIENTIST TO FIND THAT BUG WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF PLAYING THE ENGLISH GAME.

You are too hard on yourself for... I dunno, knowing Japanese and liking it, shadow.

Also I find it MORE FRUSTRATING THAT DLC IS GETTING BARFED OUT AND A SIMPLE PATCH IS NOT. We live in an age where DRM rapes our children and we can't fix a little bug?

Am I the only one in the world not bothered by tedious tasks? 8D; Even when I spam-reset due to dying in Lunatic mode or Support-gathering, I always switch the language. If you make it a subconcious habit, it's not that annoying.

Am I the only one in the world not bothered by tedious tasks? 8D; Even when I spam-reset due to dying in Lunatic mode or Support-gathering, I always switch the language. If you make it a subconcious habit, it's not that annoying.

Meh. It's annoying to me.

I have the Japanese copy so I can "ragequit easier" and still have my Japanese voices and text. I don't need to deal with the bug. |D

Edited by shadowofchaos

For those complaining about the high pitched voices, consider the fact that in some regions of Japan, high pitched voices are considered cute. If you really hate the high pitched voices, just learn to deal with it, or not use the Japanese voices.

Last night I realized I never heard ANY of the future children's English voices. And...with the sole exception of Cynthia, mother of god, the future children sound AWFUL. D8; They're...I can't even...it's...AWFUL. Inigo has the worst English voice out of ALL of them! I didn't expect them to make his voice sound so freakin' deep and old. He sounds like a 40-year-old man, it's worse than Jack Frost's voice in Rise of the Guardians! How could they do that? "OTL

Last night I realized I never heard ANY of the future children's English voices. And...with the sole exception of Cynthia, mother of god, the future children sound AWFUL. D8; They're...I can't even...it's...AWFUL. Inigo has the worst English voice out of ALL of them! I didn't expect them to make his voice sound so freakin' deep and old. He sounds like a 40-year-old man, it's worse than Jack Frost's voice in Rise of the Guardians! How could they do that? "OTL

I think you're just exaggerating because you got so used to the Japanese voices. It took me a while to get used to them too.

Though for Azure/Inigo... lol Akihiko Sanada from Persona 4 Arena.

I can just imagine him shedding his Mercenary Armor and just start Falcon Punching everything in sight. He would make me proud.

I think you're just exaggerating because you got so used to the Japanese voices. It took me a while to get used to them too.

Though for Azure/Inigo... lol Akihiko Sanada from Persona 4 Arena.

I can just imagine him shedding his Mercenary Armor and just start Falcon Punching everything in sight. He would make me proud.

When the English voices are that bad, I'm not sure if I want to get used to them. D8; I never played Persona.

@SOC: But I never heard about some six-fingered man that killed you or something.....

Remember time travel shenanigans. I'm DESTINED to die to a man with six fingers.

JUST so he can use those lines.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are horribly exaggerating based on your pre-conceptions of the Japanese voices. Please know what you're doing before you try to judge something. Inigo's voice is amazing and, ironically, Cynthia's voice is arguably the worst of them all...

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and are horribly exaggerating based on your pre-conceptions of the Japanese voices. Please know what you're doing before you try to judge something. Inigo's voice is amazing and, ironically, Cynthia's voice is arguably the worst of them all...

YMMV I suppose. D8; But compared to Inigo's Japanese voice, his English one sounds way too old and deep in comparison.

his English one sounds way too old and deep in comparison.

Well again you have to take into account the audience of the voice acting.

Azure/Inigo's Japanese voice is supposed to be the upbeat ladies man. The deeper English voice wouldn't fit for them, while it does for the typical North American Audience.

I love the fact that Aki-senpai has the same voice actor as Inigo. :D

My favorite Persona guy and one of my favorite FE guys, rolled into one smooth-talking package? Yes, please!

Actually, I had another interesting thought about the Japanese overall higher pitch vs the English changes. Remember how Lyn was, I think, 15 years old in Japan and 17 in the localizations? This is just one example but I feel like Japanese gamers tend to prefer younger protagonists as opposed to Western gamers. To me the Awakening characters seem younger with their Japanese voices... like, take Tharja, how old is she supposed to be? For some reason her Japanese voice gives me the impression that she is a teenager, but in English she seems to be a little older, 20-something I would say. Same with Olivia. This is true for me for most of the female characters and some of the males. I dunno if this is just me personally (or because I'm in North America) perceiving the high pitch as more "childish" per se, but I'm pretty sure even Japanese audiences would see it that way. I guess this is also why I prefer the English "older-sounding" voices, in most cases it seems more believable that the parents are the parents and the kids are the kids even though they aren't that apart in age. Even with Olivia/Inigo (he doesn't sound 40, not at all...lol).

Edited by Owain Dark

Well again you have to take into account the audience of the voice acting.

Azure/Inigo's Japanese voice is supposed to be the upbeat ladies man. The deeper English voice wouldn't fit for them, while it does for the typical North American Audience.

I suppose so. D8; It still feels like a total 180 when you flip languages, though.