So... are there any tips for Lunatic?

Asakyun

So I just bought the game and finished hard mode, using FeMUxChrom + Lucina and Morgan - 4 units to clear the last 10 chapters or so.

Easy right? Not.

Started a new file and find out I can't pass chapter 1 on Lunatic.

From learning to S-rank FE7, I know the value a Jeigan can have early on - though I used Marcus solely as rescue-ferry and meatshield.

But do I really need to use Frederick extensively to pass the first few chapters of Lunatic? And if so, how will I be able to level up my other units?

The trick to Lunatic's early chapters is to only use Frederick when absolutely required. Avatar is the best unit to train because of Veteran (always fight Paired, even if the partner is as useful as a potted plant).

Take a look at this example run of Prologue, which feeds as many kills into Avatar as possible, while mostly using Fred to weaken things. Something like this will get Avatar enough EXP such that you can pair him/her up with Fred and do a lot of fort-fighting in Chapter 1 (avoiding the problem of the Hammer guy), which snowballs into an easier Chapter 2, etc.

I recommend either +HP/-LCK or +DEF/-LCK as your asset/flaw. Being tanky is super-useful.

Edited by Interceptor

Use +def -lck avatar. I maxed out his defence at chapter 15 or so and he's taking 0 damage from almost everything. Also he makes the first few chapters manageable without relying on fred too much. I was able to kill off fred at chapter 6 and avatar was so good it didn't matter at all. Also make sure that when you reach level 20 you reclass, reach 20 again and then promote. If you promote early, you'll be getting a really low amount of exp unless you have veteran.

edit: also, make sure you don't only train avatar though. I tried that and had to restart at chapter 5 because avatar was level 20 and nobody other then fred had leveled up. once you ditch fred, you'll need to use avatar and some other good units too.

Edited by 1234567890

The trick to Lunatic's early chapters is to only use Frederick when absolutely required. Avatar is the best unit to train because of Veteran (always fight Paired, even if the partner is as useful as a potted plant).

Take a look at this example run of Prologue, which feeds as many kills into Avatar as possible, while mostly using Fred to weaken things. Something like this will get Avatar enough EXP such that you can pair him/her up with Fred and do a lot of fort-fighting in Chapter 1 (avoiding the problem of the Hammer guy), which snowballs into an easier Chapter 2, etc.

I recommend either +HP/-LCK or +DEF/-LCK as your asset/flaw. Being tanky is super-useful.

Does this mean that it's better to feed a ton of exp into one unit rather than spreading the exp?

As I saw from HM, I could have cleared the whole game with just FeMU and Chrom if I wanted to, so is this confirmation that one/two massive unit(s) is/are better than a bunch of evenly trained units?

Does this mean that it's better to feed a ton of exp into one unit rather than spreading the exp?

As I saw from HM, I could have cleared the whole game with just FeMU and Chrom if I wanted to, so is this confirmation that one/two massive unit(s) is/are better than a bunch of evenly trained units?

You can totally do the same thing in Lunatic: Femvatar/Chrom destruction machine, complete with midgame additions to the family that are even more broken than they are (Lucina/Morgan is hilariously good).

Super-units are very powerful in this game, because of the emphasis on a strong Enemy Phase. Veteran makes it even more absurd. Spreading around the EXP is fine as a strategy, but it's not optimal, especially early. You'll want more than one powerful unit (sometimes you will benefit from multiples, like in Ch6 or Ch12), but generally the best way to break the game apart is to focus your resources.

One last question....

Is it worth it to get more than 1 offensive skill, for example stacking Aether/Vengeance or Ignis/Astra (bad examples though)

Like, will both offensive skills be able to activate at the same time, or only one at a time?

Two activation skills doubles your chance for One of them to proc. The chance that two skills at a 20% rate would have both activated is 4%, so in many cases, your other skill's chance to activate won't be negated anyways. And of course, the skills with lower rates take priority over the more common ones.

Two activation skills doubles your chance for One of them to proc. The chance that two skills at a 20% rate would have both activated is 4%, so in many cases, your other skill's chance to activate won't be negated anyways. And of course, the skills with lower rates take priority over the more common ones.

I think that 2x is wrong, and I believe I can prove it, and give you the correct number:

• I have 50 Skill and both Sol and Luna.
  • Check for Sol, I've got a 50% chance.
  • If this fails, I check for Luna, so I have another 50% chance
  • These are not added - instead, you multiply the chances for neither to proc, so you've got
  • 100% - (50% of 50%) = 100% - 25% (25% is the chance for neither to proc) -> 75% of one activating.
  • (0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25)

Or you could just field-test this: take a unit with both Sol and Luna, and 50 or more Skill, and let them loose on a team of Risen / LB3. I guarantee that at least some of the time neither will proc.

There is a 100% chance that by the time you grind yourself two lolOHKO skills, you're at the point where you are destroying things with basic weapons anyway.

Well, yes. But there's no kill like overkill, am I right?

These are not added - instead, you multiply the chances for neither to proc

You're right. For some strange reason I added both probabilities in the same 100% pool, not thinking that it is two separate probability where one must pass.

Well, yes. But there's no kill like overkill, am I right?

Right! :^_^: I enjoy seeing those skills proc, and what better time to use multiple activation skills that on easy stuff?