Does anyone read visual novels?

superange128

Technically they ARE video games but there's debate of whether people really think of them as such since most lack actual "gameplay".

This is a list of what I've read:

http://vndb.org/u6633/votes

But what's not listed is my actual favorite Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai. I really love that one and it would be an easy 10, but sadly the translation is going really slow =(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah there's a few people here that play them (me being one of them). I've only played a few though: Little Busters (favorite so far), G-Senjou no Maou, Fate/Stay Night, part of Shuffle! and part of Steins;Gate (saw the anime so I haven't felt like actually finishing this). Currently playing through Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo and liking it.

Yes, they do.

And they're also my favorite =)

SECONDED

ALSO OMG JUSTICE IS BACK w00t

EDIT: Now all they need is to bring Gumshoe and Edgeworth back. It'd be so awesome. XD

Edited by Bluedoom

Eh, a little bit. The only visual novel I can say I've read head to toe is umineko no naku koro ni. And while I had great times with it while it was being released, the butt end of the series was not great.

I've read all of fate/stay night too. I do tend to say "read" rather than "played" visual novels, but that might be because umineko had no decision trees. I have played ace attorney though, those are all good times.

SECONDED

ALSO OMG JUSTICE IS BACK w00t

EDIT: Now all they need is to bring Gumshoe and Edgeworth back. It'd be so awesome. XD

Wait, Gumshoe and Edgeworth are still UNCONFIRMED for AA5?

. . .I'm scared now.

Wait, Gumshoe and Edgeworth are still UNCONFIRMED for AA5?

. . .I'm scared now.

To be honest, I don't think they're appearing at all, I mean they're practically MAJOR characters, so if they're appearing, I think that we'd have heard about it by now.

Well, that's just my speculation.

edgey has his own spinoff series, he'll likely make no more than cameos here on out

I've played the Zero Escape series (999 & Virtue's Last Reward) as well as Ever17, all of which had mindblowingly awesome stories. I guess if Hotel Dusk and Another Code: Two Memories count then those too. And the Ace Attorney series.

The reason Edgey has his own spinoff series is because people loved him so damn much in the main series, though

Don't nobody try to take Edgey away from me main series, he's half the draw damn it; the Truth to Phoenix's Justice, the red to his blue, the sophisticate to his everyman

Edited by Rehab

I've played the Zero Escape series (999 & Virtue's Last Reward) [...] I guess if Hotel Dusk

All of these are such great games! I really recommend them (Still kind of heartbroken about Cing's bankruptcy though)

I've only played a handful of VNs but from that list I recommend Saya no Uta and Swan Song. They both deal with some pretty dark themes.

Edited by pinkbubblegum

Technically they ARE video games but there's debate of whether people really think of them as such since most lack actual "gameplay".

This is a list of what I've read:

http://vndb.org/u6633/votes

But what's not listed is my actual favorite Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai. I really love that one and it would be an easy 10, but sadly the translation is going really slow =(

Wow, that's a lot of VNs in your list. How did you give the .5s though? Here's my list btw: http://vndb.org/u32365/list

Why isn't Maji de Watachi ni Koi Shinasai in your list though? Also, my personal favorite VN is G-Senjou no Maou, but Higurashi comes a close second.

Do the Ace Attorney series games count as a "Visual Novels"?

I personally wouldn't consider them visual novels. They're just games that have a very strong focus on story, but there is absolutely nothing else that resembles a novel.

Wow, that's a lot of VNs in your list. How did you give the .5s though? Here's my list btw: http://vndb.org/u32365/list

Why isn't Maji de Watachi ni Koi Shinasai in your list though? Also, my personal favorite VN is G-Senjou no Maou, but Higurashi comes a close second.

I personally wouldn't consider them visual novels. They're just games that have a very strong focus on story, but there is absolutely nothing else that resembles a novel.

Under 1 (worst ever) there's a "Other" option where you can put in a vote up to 1 decimal.

MajiKoi isn't fully released in English and I don't really like scoring things till I've seen at least the majority of everything it has to offer.

Um, I've never played it (my friend did and told me about it, which got me to watch the anime), but does Utawarerumono count???

Balcerzak is the visual novel master, and we are but the learners. One of the main reasons I read Cross Channel was because of his involvement in the project. I remember when Zephrion discovered his name in the credits of a certain other visual novel and we discussed his shining brilliance in secret over MSN.

Silver Lightning, Utawarerumono counts. You should read it if you're interested in, uhh, reading it.

[My list] I feel bad having suddenly realized I haven't finished a visual novel for over a year now. My list is flooded with "stalled"; it's worse than my Backloggery. I'm a big Key fan though, and it shows. Despite my awful track record I've finished four of them so far.

Knife, visual novels tend to have branching decision trees which lead to different endings. Think of a choose your own adventure book. Now combine it with Fire Emblem style dialogue scenes. Now make it fifty hours long, and there you go!

Edited by Balcerwist

also they have to have a good ending, a bad ending, and a true ending

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh not so much

Alternatively, forty bad ends.

Plenty don't separate good/perfect and true endings, either.

Edited by Sheth

Under 1 (worst ever) there's a "Other" option where you can put in a vote up to 1 decimal.

Thanks! Maybe when I'm less lazy, I'll edit some of my ratings to decimals.

What the hell's the difference between a visual novel and a movie?

Is Walking Dead a Visual novel?

A visual novel is text based. You're supposed to READ it, not WATCH it.

Knife, visual novels tend to have branching decision trees which lead to different endings. Think of a choose your own adventure book. Now combine it with Fire Emblem style dialogue scenes. Now make it fifty hours long, and there you go!

Yeah, but there are VNs with none of those. And some of them are really short...

Edited by Lævateinn

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh not so much

Alternatively, forty bad ends.

Plenty don't separate good/perfect and true endings, either.

it was a joke

Yeah there's a few people here that play them (me being one of them). I've only played a few though: Little Busters (favorite so far), G-Senjou no Maou, Fate/Stay Night, part of Shuffle! and part of Steins;Gate (saw the anime so I haven't felt like actually finishing this). Currently playing through Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo and liking it.

I just finished Steins Gate (Anime) yesterday. Is the visual novel any good?

I just finished Steins Gate (Anime) yesterday. Is the visual novel any good?

Significantly better than the anime, not just because I'm a sucker for huke

It gives you the option to pretty much give up at any point where Okabe "undoes" a D-mail

they lead to several interesting scenarios, my favorite concerning what became of Nae in a certain timeline