A Jedi gives his thoughts on Awakening

Jedi

Almost back from my vacation but I have a borrowed laptop for tonight. After attending a wedding and helping out my grandparents I was able to borrow and complete my cousins copy of awakening and I have learned I will most likely be getting, A 3DS and Awakening for my birthday from my Dad, which is much too kind but enough about backstory.

I used to do reviews for Sonic and Final Fantasy games on their respective forums I had joined, while pacing I was like eh why not. Probably more personal thoughts then a review though

Fire Emblem Awakening is a great game, let us get that out of the way first. It borrows various elements from every other game in the series and adds its own in a gigantic love letter to the fans of the series. From the Mythos of Marth's games to the mechanics from Gaiden [The map, Split Promotion Path] Genealogy [Marriage and 2nd Generation] Elibe [Multiple support levels] Support style like Path of Radiance, Inflated stat caps and battle saves [for casual mode anyways] from Dawn. The reclass system due to the second seals all be it somewhat buffed and nerfed at the same time from the more recent DS games and the Lunatic difficulty from the 2nd of those. Those are just some of the borrowed elements.

The Avatar which is a continued experiment from New Mystery of the Emblem works very well. His/Her class is very unique and written well into the story. The story itself is pretty basic but it has its twists and turns and you will feel for Chrom and his band of fighters as they fight for their very survival. The characters themselves are also pretty amazing. All the characters will please someone and the various supports they have just build on their great base personalities.

You can pair 2 units up together and they fight together and have a chance of aiding each other in the battle between adding extra attacks to defending their ally for no damage like that of the old skill Great Shield/Pravise [Thanks IS for making it just as annoying in this game as it was in FE4] This changes the playing field. Also this is how supports are built and S supports will marry a man and woman and later you get their kid who inherits their stats and final skills in their lists. Chrom and Sumia are limited to 4 people each. What do I think of this? Less 100%ing for me and more personal Father supports for Chrom and more personal Mother supports for Sumia. The others are decent but they are a bit more generic in terms of father/child supports.

I paired my avatar with Miriel my first run and I quite liked it. Miriel also got my most KO's my first run was Hard/Classic. Although I think I like Say'ri's character a bit more. See there is a cool and personal feeling to pairing your avatar and in extension the others. There is a lady/dude for everyones taste. Also I found myself liking just about every character for personalty and stats depending but mostly on their personalty. I'm willing to use any of these units as a solid fighter for later, yes even the wimpy Donnel. Whether you like LTC or casual or somewhere inbetween you will find your characters and use them to their fullest.

The music in this game.. Oh my word it is by far the best soundtrack in the history of the series. I'd try to list tracks I love after ID (Purpose) but it would be near impossible.

New classes? Love them, trickster is fun. Dark Flier is pretty amazing, the return of assassins is great with their new bow use which imo they should have used before haha. The others I need to play around with. The fact that the avatar can reclass to pretty much every class is great. I made mine a swordmaster eventually after I got Ingis? I think it was spelled. Because my Avatar Gawain actually had kinda lame speed [and that wasn't even his weak stat] so I used Myrm/SM to boost it up.

Lucina has become one of my favorite lords just behind Eliwood and Ike I'd say for the grand 3rd spot. Her various supports and such of the world that lies ahead should they fail is very menacing. Also I quite think Kjelly works well as her sister. [Yes I paired Chrom with Sully] Also blonde Severa is totally tsundere Sailor Moon and I will stand by this always. But by now i'm just rambling

If you love FE you will love this game no doubts about that. It just oozes with IS's love for the fans with all the throwbacks, Solid story great characters. difficulties with the 4 are able to not only introduce newbies to the series and be more accessible to those who don't like extreme difficulty but it also challenges us who love a good challenge. [Note that draft of this I joined will be done when I get my 3DS and the game myself now that I will have the time to think more about it]

You should review Super Mario 64 and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, too. :P:

Also, I'd say FE13 borrowed more elements from FE8 than it did from FE2, and I don't think FE2 had split promotion. :P

Severa's es mai waifu. Also, I really like Cherche and Sumia, as well, but enough about that.

FE13 has an outstanding soundtrack. My favorite?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8OV2O12lu8

It REALLY fit the atmosphere of the game's many paralogues well, and a lot of other songs were enjoyable to listen to as well.

I still don't really get the appeal of Lucina, but that's just me. I thought Chrom was a better lord than she was, but hey, to each their own.

Good thoughts, man. Glad you liked the game. Would you say it's better than FE6 to you?

In FE2 you picked promotions for units all be it in a more clunky way. So it borrowed more from 2. The menu is more akin to fe8 though I will give you that.

Also I will have to say it actually does beat FE6, FE9 and FE5 for me which I didn't think I'd be saying

Edited by Opinion Leader Jedi

Ah, I see. I didn't finish FE2, though, so I apologize for my mistake.

That's fine. If it seemed like I was annoyed I wasn't haha.