Lyon is something out of Shakespeare

Okay, well, obviously that's kind of a bold statement, so please take it with a grain of salt maybe a spoonful would be better.
But damn, now that I think about it, this guy's story is pretty freaking tragic. Either that, or he's unlucky as hell.

Here we have this prince who's sole aim in life is to please/help others. Pretty great guy eh? He's in love with his friend's sister Eirika and she seems to take a liking to him as well. Life's going great, right? Wrong.

His nation happens to be the one nation that's going to get screwed over by a cataclysmic earthquake. Well okay. That's just great. But then not only that, but his Dad ends up dying along the way. Wait, what? So now here we have this guy who not only bears the weight of his entire nations survival on his shoulders, but the one guy with the experience to help him come up with a plan (or at least console him) is dead.

So he tries to bring his Dad back, and avert crisis using the Dark Stone. And he sort of succeeds in bringing his Dad back, except now he's the host of the Demon King. Well I mean, that's not too bad right? Wrong.

Now he ends up effing over the nation of Renais which happens to fall under the command of Eirika and Ephraim, his best friends. Not only that but he ends up killing King Fado with his own hands. How do you tell a girl you love them, and expect her to love you back when you killed her Dad? Unless her Dad was an abusive drunk, but that's besides the point

To top it all off, Lyon's dad dies again. He's hurt his two friends emotionally and physically. He's hurt the people of the world AND he ends up dying without getting to marry Eirika.

Icing on the cake? His country gets screwed over by the earthquake anyway.
Wow.

Lyon is my favorite main antagonist in the Fire Emblem series because of all the tragedy surrounding him, he's such a tragic character and I think it makes him a great character.

I disagree. There's a reason that dark magic is considered evil in contrast to Light, Anima, and healing. He knew what he was getting into and willing sold his soul to Formortiis. It should have been no big surprise to him when it came back to bite him in the ass.

It's just like that one earthquake/demon king story in shakespeare's romeo and juliet, amirite?

You know, now that R&J are brought up, I have to point out that they have got to be the dumbest couple in history.

Romeo goes and poisons himself because he finds Juliet unconscious and assumes she's dead.

Juliet goes and stabs herself just because Romeo offed himself.

Yet neither of them think that if the roles were reversed, they would want the other to move on, not committ suicide.

Also Romeo = borderline pedophile.(Juliet is like 12 years old last I checked.)

Haha, I wasn't comparing the story to a play by Shakespeare per se. But rather referencing him due to the fact that his plays are known to have very tragic elements. Case in point, Lyon's life can be seen as such.

But did Lyon actually sell his soul? He was merely experimenting. For a good cause to boot.

(@above: Yeah that sounds a bit better. :p)

Edited by Vestige

Considering the era the story was written in, this is slightly forgivable.

Would it fly now? Ahahahahahano. But in the era, this was more or less the expectation.

And Romeo is 16. I think 16-year-old boys would generally be able to date 13-year-old girls even nowadays.

Anyway, Lyon reminded me more of Greek tragedy than Shakespearean tragedy, if there's a difference. The first thing that came to my mind was Oedipus, who did everything he could to avoid his fate and ended up fulfilling it.

Edited by Paper Jam

I disagree. There's a reason that dark magic is considered evil in contrast to Light, Anima, and healing. He knew what he was getting into and willing sold his soul to Formortiis. It should have been no big surprise to him when it came back to bite him in the ass.

You know, now that R&J are brought up, I have to point out that they have got to be the dumbest couple in history.

Romeo goes and poisons himself because he finds Juliet unconscious and assumes she's dead.

Yet neither of them think that if the roles were reversed, they would want the other to move on, not committ suicide.

She's 14, but your pont stand.

She's 14, but your pont stand.

Actually, it doesn't, because Romeo isn't much older. A two-year age difference is generally acceptable even today.

Anyway, Shakespeare wrote a whole bunch of other plays besides Romeo and Juliet, and I think Lyon is more like Macbeth anyway.

Edited by Paper Jam

Marriage at 12 wasn't to unusual back then also wasn't she 14

Haha, I wasn't comparing the story to a play by Shakespeare per se. But rather referencing him due to the fact that his plays are known to have very tragic elements. Case in point, Lyon's life can be seen as such.

His tragedies are known for being tragic. He wrote other things, too. His tragedies don't even come close to being the majority of what he wrote, although they're probably the most frequently taught and most famous.

Lyon is my favorite main antagonist in the Fire Emblem series because of all the tragedy surrounding him, he's such a tragic character and I think it makes him a great character.

I agree; I loved how his character was developed and revealed to us over the course of the story as Eirika and Ephraim's dear friend (and Eirika's admirer), especially when he appears to her in Jehanna. He's like the only antagonist I have ever really felt bad about fighting in Fire Emblem because of how tragic his story has been, especially since all he ever wanted to do was help people. One of my favorite characters ever! ....and some days I want to throttle IS for writing such a good character then giving him such a fate. I was somewhat appeased with having him as an unlockable....

(If it wasn't apparent, I'm probably the biggest and the only Lyon fangirl on SF...) XD

He just wanted to save his people, yeah he knew the risks but his intentions were all good, which is what makes it so tragic.

I agree; I loved how his character was developed and revealed to us over the course of the story as Eirika and Ephraim's dear friend (and Eirika's admirer), especially when he appears to her in Jehanna. He's like the only antagonist I have ever really felt bad about fighting in Fire Emblem because of how tragic his story has been, especially since all he ever wanted to do was help people. One of my favorite characters ever! ....and some days I want to throttle IS for writing such a good character then giving him such a fate. I was somewhat appeased with having him as an unlockable....

(If it wasn't apparent, I'm probably the biggest and the only Lyon fangirl on SF...) XD

I agree, I was sad when I had to fight him. Him and Nergal are the only two I've ever felt bad for.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Maybe I don't really remember the story that much but Nergal was a jerk and I don't recall feeling bad for the dude. Lyon on the other hand, he deserved a better fate. ;_;

Maybe I don't really remember the story that much but Nergal was a jerk and I don't recall feeling bad for the dude. Lyon on the other hand, he deserved a better fate. ;_;

Through some of the unlockable chapters you learn some interesting things about him. Don't want to give any spoilers...

It's just like that one earthquake/demon king story in shakespeare's romeo and juliet, amirite?

Can someone explain to me where and when does an earthquake happen in SS? I've played the game like 7+ times, and it must have flew over my head every single time.

Can someone explain to me where and when does an earthquake happen in SS? I've played the game like 7+ times, and it must have flew over my head every single time.

At the end. It happens in Grado. That was why Lyon did all he did, he foresaw it in the future and wanted to stop it, but turned out his actions caused it.

At the end. It happens in Grado. That was why Lyon did all he did, he foresaw it in the future and wanted to stop it, but turned out his actions caused it.

So it's like Star Wars?

also...

at the end... like in the credits? or like the epilogue or something? I need directions people!

It's mentioned in a few of the character endings, and discussed by Knoll in his supports and Ephraim's story.

Edited by Alg