Lyon is something out of Shakespeare

The flashback of chapter 20 of Ephraim's story, to be precise.

Lyon: "I have seen it many times now, as have the court mages. It's the same every time, Father. It's always the same. Sometime in the coming years, the southern continent will collapse. Countless people will die instantly. Those who don't will likely starve."

http://serenesforest.net/fe8/script_20b.html

Sucks for Grado m i rite? They were the ones who used their stone to seal the Demon King and in return they get effed over by mother nature.

Forget Lyon, it's like the whole country gets owned. Haha.

I thought that Lyon wasn't a tragic character because his good intentions lead to bad things

but because he was always just one step away from doing the right thing. He could have fulfilled his desires easily and helped Grado as well.

But he always did the wrong thing because of his fears and self-doubt. While his friends always looked up to him, he could always only see what he was lacking.

Lyon felt inferior to both Eirika and Ephraim. He even thought that they secretly looked down to him.

But of course In reality, they both greatly admired him for his kindness, devotion, thoughtfulness and sense of responsibility.

Lyon was in love with Eirika

Since Eirika and Ephraim both greatly admire him, Eirika would probably have gladly accepted his proposal.

And Ephraim wouldn't have wished for anyone better either.

And of course, Lyon had to protect Grado from a natural disaster.

As the flashback in Ephraim 20 shown, he had the right idea from the start: Ask Renais for help.

However Vigarde with his dying breath told Lyon that Renais won't help them.

But Lyon was right all along. Heck, Ephraim still aids Grado in the Epilouge.

Of course, without the war King Fado would still be on the throne.

Fado considered Grado their dearest ally. He couldn't believe that they would attack and stayed at the capital because he had to find out why. This man would have never abandoned Grado to it's fate.

But of course, Lyon couldn't bring himself to go against his fathers advice and kept deluding himself that mere physical power was a substitute for his lack of psychical strength.

Edited by BrightBow

I thought that Lyon wasn't a tragic character because his good intentions lead to bad things

but because he was always just one step away from doing the right thing. He could have fulfilled his desires easily and helped Grado as well.

But he always did the wrong thing because of his fears and self-doubt. While his friends always looked up to him, he could always only see what he was lacking.

Lyon felt inferior to both Eirika and Ephraim. He even thought that they secretly looked down to him.

But of course In reality, they both greatly admired him for his kindness, devotion, thoughtfulness and sense of responsibility.

Lyon was in love with Eirika

Since Eirika and Ephraim both greatly admire him, Eirika would probably have gladly accepted his proposal.

And Ephraim wouldn't have wished for anyone better either.

And of course, Lyon had to protect Grado from a natural disaster.

As the flashback in Ephraim 20 shown, he had the right idea from the start: Ask Renais for help.

However Vigarde with his dying breath told Lyon that Renais won't help them.

But Lyon was right all along. Heck, Ephraim still aids Grado in the Epilouge.

Of course, without the war King Fado would still be on the throne.

Fado considered Grado their dearest ally. He couldn't believe that they would attack and stayed at the capital because he had to find out why. This man would have never abandoned Grado to it's fate.

But of course, Lyon couldn't bring himself to go against his fathers advice and kept deluding himself that mere physical power was a substitute for his lack of psychical strength.

That... Was deep. Never even considered some of those things.

Vigarde seems like a pompous dick (probably why Lyon always felt inferior). Vigarde didn't want to ask for help, because he didn't believe that Lyon's visions were enough for him to "plead" for help. Vigarde thought it would make him look weak probably.

So why did Vigarde tell Lyon that Renais wouldn't help them, I wonder? Sounds like plot contrivance to me.

Vigarde:

You would ask Renais to rescue us from... a natural disaster? They would not help us... Grado’s borders would overflow with starving refugees by the thousands. Renais would close her borders to us. It’s only natural... Renais has a duty to protect herself.

Personally I think that his logic is perfectly sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yeah you're right. I've been replaying Sacred Stones and I actually got to the part where it shows that. It makes sense too.
Renais would have to nearly double the amount of citizens within its borders while effectively keeping it's area the same. Over population seems like a major problem. If not poverty and a totally divided social system and what not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You know, now that R&J are brought up, I have to point out that they have got to be the dumbest couple in history.

Romeo goes and poisons himself because he finds Juliet unconscious and assumes she's dead.

Juliet goes and stabs herself just because Romeo offed himself.

Yet neither of them think that if the roles were reversed, they would want the other to move on, not committ suicide.

Also Romeo = borderline pedophile.(Juliet is like 12 years old last I checked.)

Romeo and Juliet was actually a satire of that genre of stories and the sheer idiocy of the characters is quite intentional; it's just that some point along the line, teenagers started thinking it validated never thinking ahead and instead living for the moment and teenage rebellion and whatever. They basically turned it from a satire to Twilight.

Edited by The Magus