Apotheosis vs. TSON.

Da Bear

both are neat but "Apotheosis" is neater

at least "the strongest one's name" doesn't sound as dumb and engrishy as "future of despair" and whining about it accordingly isn't as hilarious

at least "the strongest one's name" doesn't sound as dumb and engrishy as "future of despair" and whining about it accordingly isn't as hilarious

The Future Past sounds more Engrish. If we're going to talk about "Engrish", Ylisse sounds more Engrish than Iris.

The localization team likes their dictionaries, so it sounded fine to me.

Though I have to say "Apotheosis" sounds like "Apoptosis" and made me think of people getting programmed cell death because of the amount of frustration most non-hardcore fans will experience. A few of my new FE fan friends will probably not beat this for a long while. They had a bunch of trouble with Rogues and Redeemers.

"The Strongest One's Name" sounds more natural... in... you know... Japanese.

As for "Future of Despair"... I'm pretty sure it was just as valid as a title as "The Future Past" because that was dropped in the script somewhere too.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Aside from the fact that it requires more typing, Apotheosis is definitely a better name.

It's a pretty fantastic word in its own right (having heard it before today), and it carries more intimidating implications (Anna being "the strongest" versus Anna being GOD), but the biggest reason it's better, to me, is because it's only one short and uncommon word.

All of the other DLC packs are alliterative, some quirky in-joke or wordplay, or in general don't sound all that serious. Then you get to this one, which only offers you a single, brutal word - a tremendous and powerful contrast that alerts you quite nicely to how screwed you are.

The only DLC name localizations that I was displeased about were Smash Brethren (which was a bit too blunt a reference for my liking), The Future Past (which, while more mysterious sounding, feels like it was done just for the wordplay), and Golden Gaffe (which is mostly just because it makes me think of crossdressing.)

Well, the name itself in Japanese sounds like that... cliche anime line you say.

Like.

KORE GA... ORE NO SAIDAI NO IKARI DA! With the freaking budget covering how... "cool soundingingly lame" (it's an oxymoron, sue me) it is if you were watching and hearing someone say that in an anime.

Literally translating it to "THIS IS MY GREATEST ANGER!" doesn't work.

Get what I'm saying?

That sort of feeling is what you get from the fan translators doing their best with the information available at the time.

Though again, the only one I REALLY don't like when it comes to the DLC names, is that "Future Past".

Edited by shadowofchaos

The only DLC name localizations that I was displeased about were Smash Brethren (which was a bit too blunt a reference for my liking), The Future Past (which, while more mysterious sounding, feels like it was done just for the wordplay), and Golden Gaffe (which is mostly just because it makes me think of crossdressing.)

Am I the only one who thinks of Smash bros. whenever I see that...

Am I the only one who thinks of Smash bros. whenever I see that...

That's the whole point of why it was called Smash Brethren (since those DLC missions feature Roy and Ike).

That's the whole point of why it was called Smash Brethren (since those DLC missions feature Roy and Ike).

Really? Well I guess you learn something new every once in a while every day!

Well, the name itself in Japanese sounds like that... cliche anime line you say.

Like.

KORE GA... ORE NO SAIDAI NO IKARI DA! With the freaking budget covering how... "cool soundingingly lame" (it's an oxymoron, sue me) it is if you were watching and hearing someone say that in an anime.

Literally translating it to "THIS IS MY GREATEST ANGER!" doesn't work.

Get what I'm saying?

That sort of feeling is what you get from the fan translators doing their best with the information available at the time.

Though again, the only one I REALLY don't like when it comes to the DLC names, is that "Future Past".

totally agree with the bolded part.

though, what are the names of all the original .......wait I can find that out on the site lol.

Who doesn't think of Smash Bros. when seeing that?

Precisely. I still think of it even as I see it.

I guess I'm kinda neutral on both names. They did a better job at it than "Future of Despair." Bleh, I'll never call it Future Past.....

Apotheosis is a much cooler sounding name than TSON.

It also reminds me of a particular staff in TES: Oblivion, which is really awesome.