Phantom data what? (Steam?)

Jaybee

So apparently my D:drive on this computer is fucked up beyond measure.

I have 48.3GB of space left on the 226GB drive, which is ridiculous because I only use my D drive to uninstall and install Steam games. I go in, check the properties of everything visible in the Steam folder (everything else adds up to, like, 1MB), and it's about 29.4GB.

30NQi.jpg

30NRp.png

30NSl.jpg

Literally the only thing I do with the D drive is to uninstall and install Dota 2 to it - I have this problem with downloading D2 updates (I'm about 80% sure it's related, but hell if I know) where my update just... pauses midway through, dies totally, and freezes my entire computer. This forces me to delete all D2 content from my com and then reinstall the game from Steam.

Basically, few questions.

1. What's happening?

2. Is there any way to reveal every single file that's on this D drive? There's 150GB of unaccounted data that's fucking up the com?

3. Is the only fix to uninstall Steam/quit D2 entirely/new laptop? If the computer goes on like this, I'll really consider it.

Oh yeah, disk cleanup totally didn't work, defragmenting in process but I have no idea how that helps at all, and I don't know if it applies to the C drive too.

EDIT: Killed my backup, that was only 50GB of data, so that's still 100GB that's missing somewhere.

Edited by Skyward

Download SequoiaView. It's an awesome program that lets you look at the entire contents of a drive visually. It helps me when I want to make room for something. Just removed Shogun 2 and several gigabytes from Steam's downloading folder and now I'm like fifty gigabytes ahead.

• 4 weeks later...