Was Chrom TRULY an unwitting pawn?

In some later chapter, probably one of the very end-game ones, Validar unveils that the reason he lended Ylisse so many ships and gold, but not men, was so that Chrom and his men could go defeat the Conqueror. Whose goal it was to gather all the gemstones and conquer even Grima.

This is fine and dandy and all...until you replay the game and get to chapter 12, where Validar specifically tries to kill Chrom twice, IMMEDIATELY after lending the ships and gold. The Risen chief there says "kill...prince..." and a random assassin tries to kill Chrom as well.

Now, I'm not the most intelligent person in the world, but I'm PRETTY sure that if you're going to use somebody as an unwitting pawn, you try to kill them AFTER they do what you want them to. Not before. Seems pretty pointless otherwise. So either the devs threw this in later, and forgot to go back and fix chapter 12, or Validar is just flat-out lying. Or...am I missing something here? ._.

In some later chapter, probably one of the very end-game ones, Validar unveils that the reason he lended Ylisse so many ships and gold, but not men, was so that Chrom and his men could go defeat the Conqueror. Whose goal it was to gather all the gemstones and conquer even Grima.

This is fine and dandy and all...until you replay the game and get to chapter 12, where Validar specifically tries to kill Chrom twice, IMMEDIATELY after lending the ships and gold. The Risen chief there says "kill...prince..." and a random assassin tries to kill Chrom as well.

Now, I'm not the most intelligent person in the world, but I'm PRETTY sure that if you're going to use somebody as an unwitting pawn, you try to kill them AFTER they do what you want them to. Not before. Seems pretty pointless otherwise. So either the devs threw this in later, and forgot to go back and fix chapter 12, or Validar is just flat-out lying. Or...am I missing something here? ._.

It's possible that Aversa sent the Risen and not Validar, though why she would do that without telling Validar is beyond me as well.

Yeah, always striked me as weird.

Now, I wonder if it had something to do with Henry... He was definitely a pretty important Plegian General, but ihe wasn't the most trusted ally, to put it lightly. So maybe, they decided to kill birds with one stone, and were afraid Henry told Chrom of his plan.
So, Henry wouldn'tb randomy appears out of nowhere, but will be the one who is chasd all alone. A little stretchy, I admit, but that's my best guess...

Now, I wonder if it had something to do with Henry... He was definitely a pretty important Plegian General, but ihe wasn't the most trusted ally, to put it lightly. So maybe, they decided to kill birds with one stone, and were afraid Henry told Chrom of his plan.

So, Henry wouldn'tb randomy appears out of nowhere, but will be the one who is chasd all alone. A little stretchy, I admit, but that's my best guess...

This is an interesting theory, but that would somewhat contradict the boss saying "kill...prince..." However, it WOULD explain why a random Plegian dark mage ran up to Chrom and joined the ranks for seemingly no reason at all.

It's possible that Aversa sent the Risen and not Validar, though why she would do that without telling Validar is beyond me as well.

This made me think of something else. Perhaps Grima summoned them, knowing that Chrom would succeed in the Valm arc. (That being said, I forgot to mark this topic as spoilers. Oops.)

Edited by MagicLeafy

Actually Henry has pretty much no importance in Valm and has said he hasn't really fought in many battles at all. WHY he appears in chapter 13 over someone of more importance is pretty much never explained. He's about the same rank as Tharja, maybe even less so.

Chrom probably did have alarm bells going off in his head because he noticed Validar was the would-be assassin in Ylissitol, but apparently the Valm threat supersedes his own concerns that his tactician has someone who looks EXACTLY like them on the side of clearly evil people.

...Generally the more you think about how Chrom took the ships and money, the more you wonder how he could possibly overlook that Plegia was definitely out to get him killed. Obviously Plegia wanted Valm out of the way just as much as Ylisse and Regna Ferox, but they were just trying so damn hard to get EVERYONE killed and weren't exactly being subtle.

Well, I thought he mostly wanted the Fire Emblem than anything.... and he was going along with them?

...Generally the more you think about how Chrom took the ships and money, the more you wonder how he could possibly overlook that Plegia was definitely out to get him killed. Obviously Plegia wanted Valm out of the way just as much as Ylisse and Regna Ferox, but they were just trying so damn hard to get EVERYONE killed and weren't exactly being subtle.

But does Plegia really want them out of the way? I mean, with Validar and Aversa's power, they might be able to deal with Valm with their cheating powers... I could still be wrong though.

And then rereading the OP made me rethink.... I'm not sure anymore.

Crom wasn't needed to beat Valm. Validar would have had confidence in Avatar. Plus, if he were successful at killing Crom, Validar would have just manipulated Walhart and gotten the stones anyway. So in his eyes it was a win-win either way.

Crom wasn't needed to beat Valm. Validar would have had confidence in Avatar. Plus, if he were successful at killing Crom, Validar would have just manipulated Walhart and gotten the stones anyway. So in his eyes it was a win-win either way.

Validar would never have manipulated Wallhart, that's one thing that is clear about Wallhart. Though Validar had some helps fore Excellus the Expandable...

You know, I got to thinking. What if Chrom interfering with the avatar's "father" moment is what caused the whole assassin thing? If he got Chrom out of the way, he could get more time with the avatar.